Survivalist Forum banner

1953 Hungarian Mosin Nagant M-44

12K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  hoplite59 
#1 · (Edited)
Mosin Subject Matter Experts,

looking to pick up the the M-44 below, locally. No cleaning rod, cleaning kit, oil can or sling. Looks pretty clean and seller says bore is same. Think it's worth $200.00 ? Thanks for the input in advance.

Very Nice Hungarian Mosin Nagant Carbine 1953. 7.62 X 54R. Appears all matching except bolt and magazine. Excellent condition and bore is near perfect. Barrel is 20.5 inches long. Most parts marked with 02. Marked on side of receiver "M1944.CAI.GEORGIA VT.HUNGARY".

#5 ·
Thanks Guys. The only thing that concerns me is that the bolt doesn't match. Worried about headspace issues. I spoke with the Gent selling the rifle and he seemed pretty straightforward and said it shoots nicely. :)

Thanks Again.

Buckeye, good to hear from you again..

#6 ·
Matching bolts and headspacing is only a major concern to people who aren't Mosin Nagant collectors. Seriously, read some collectors forums, virtually nobody checks headspace. I own many Mosin Nagants, shot almost every one, and never checked one. Matching bolts are typically only even found on refurbished rifles, which this is clearly not.

For $200, it's on the high side to me. This rifle is well used and I'd certainly inspect the bore before buying if you are buying for a shooter. I'd even ask to run some cleaning patched down the bore, if it wasn't bright and shiny with crisp rifling.

If you're wanting a shooter, there should be much better deals around. If you are looking for a collector, this isn't terrible.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. Sweeper I'm going to meet the seller tomorrow afternoon outdoors. I should get a good idea of what the bore looks like with the sunlight
and a small maglight. He was asking $225 but agreed to $200 sight unseen.

Appreciate the input Gents.

#11 ·
I met with the seller today and he was a pretty good and affable gent. Barrel looked to be in pretty nice shape and shiny when I flashed my light in there. He told me the gun had sat in a collector's safe for a long while. The action was very smooth and nice. The internals seemed clean and well maintained.

I took Mr. America's advice and asked to run a patch through it. The first one was dirty, then ran a second through which wasn't nearly as bad. Bottom line is we did the transaction. Brought it home and cleaned and oiled it and got it ready to roll. Nice to not have to clean cosmoline out of a Mosin for once.

It is perceptibly heavier than my M-38, I'm sure the folding bayonet accounts for that. The stock seems a bit thicker than the Russian M38 but overall I really like the feel of this rifle. I wanted to take it to the range tonight but we got rained out .

Overall, without actually putting it through its paces yet, I'm glad I purchased this historical piece. I could have haggled with the guy for another $20 but for the price, which he had reduced for me already, I didn't want to belabor the point.

Anyhow, I want to thank all of you for your input on this Mosin. You Guys are Aces :thumb:

#15 ·
Prices on M44s can be all over the map from common Izhevsk mid/late 1940s models to pristine Polish M44s commanding hundreds more. $200 is fair for a Hungarian M44, maybe $25 high, but not outside the range of a decent price.

Here's data for recent M44s (all varieties): GunStockMarket M44 sales report

Prices for various M44s, even from the same country of origin, can swing greatly due to condition and other factors such as rarity. A good reference for Mosin Nagants that can help explain the price swings is 7.62x45r.net.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.