Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  AK Believer 
#1 ·
Would it be allright to store packaged food (noodles, etc.) in mylar bags, o2 absorbants without taking them out of the original package?
What about sugar, coffee, etc?
Do you trust ebay to buying your mylar bags?
Thanks,
Joe

#2 ·
Joe... I've often wondered the same thing! The videos I've watched always show the food product being placed directly in the mylar bag... but I was curious if they could be left in their original packages and placed in the mylar bag. Maybe that defeats the purpose? Inquiring minds want to know what the experts have to say!

#4 ·
The two biggest enemies to stored food is light and oxygen (O2) The mylar blocks out the light and the O2 absorber handles the O2.

O2 absorbers ideally go after the volume of O2 they are rated for. 100 cc ideally removes 100 cc of O2. If original packaging is breached, then the O2 absorber will go after it.

Some stuff might not be ok to open though.

Coffee I leave in the original can and rotate it regularly. Sugar I took a different track. I sealed it in 3.5 pound sizes (I think 12 cups) mylar bags with a 100 cc O2 absorber. I vacuum sealed them. I re-sealed them in a bigger mylar and 500 cc O2 absorber, in a 5 gallon bucket. The triple seal was to keep ants out. Last thing I wanna see is ants after SHTF and I open up.

So far everything I've stored in mylar has been broken down from a larger size.

Hope this helps

#10 ·
www.bucketpacking.com

www.howtopackfood.com

Take stuff out of it's original packaging. You really don't know how much dust, mold, or moisture (held in cardboard) is in the original packaging.

If you need the directions -i.e, pancake mix or something, write it on the bucket with magic marker. I can tell you from experience- in 20 years it WILL still be readable whereas taping a cutout of the directions will be gone.

Good luck, get to packing!
Lowdown3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.