Survivalist Forum banner

Not eating meat makes you weak and brittle

6K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  Canyon Cat 
#1 ·
SYDNEY (AFP) – People who live on vegetarian diets have weaker bones than their meat-eating counterparts, Australian researchers said Thursday.
Read More :eek:

#3 ·
im loving this take that non carnivores! lol (but all meat isnt the best thing i learned.. you need some plants otherwise all that meat gets backed up lol)

#5 ·
We obviously have no right to force them to eat any particular way, but health isn't relative. Preference doesn't determine science. Veganism is patently unhealthy. That is not to say that all diets which contain meat are healthy, and indeed, switching from an unhealthy diet which includes meat to veganism may actually have health benefits...but that does not change the fact that veganism is unhealthy.

#6 · (Edited)
Ah, now lets take a much closer look at where this really false idea to eat only vegetables comes from. In the east and several places it is the belief and custom. But how did it get here and what is the real purpose behind something that is so foreign to a normal healthy human.

In the US it can be traced. But first as another person pointed out in another thread Adolph Hitler was a vegan. Why do you suppose he was? I can tell you, it was part of his occult belief system. He was instructed not to partake of the flesh of animals.

But what about the US? It is also deeply ingrained in the occult and occult groups, since before the formation of the republic.

Now, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, it is to weaken the lesser members, and keep them under control of the occult priests and leadership. As long as the members believe they should not eat meat or animal products they will always be weaker and less powerful than the occult leadership.

This has been ingrained into the hippies, and other fringe cultures over many decades. They were taught to always be weaker then those in power.

I tell you this, because It IS true. I have sat at the table with many of the occult leaders from years gone by and they do in fact eat meat, but never to exceed 30% of the meal. For health reasons, the portions are set. For the overall health of the leaders.

The high occult leaders do not go vegan to increase any form of power, or gain contact with other realms. They do that the same way Christians do, by fasting.

#8 ·
Not to knock vegetarians...but I guess my next comment will make it seem like I am, I think they just look damned unhealthy and yes I've known a few.
My apologies to the vegans...it's just my opinion.

What about just plain ole' balance in your diet? I'd never consider living on nothing but meat, just like I wouldn't live on nothing but vegetables.

#13 ·
You would never know from my avatar but I have a ponytail more than half way down my back. I eat very little meat and I am not unhealthy.I weigh in at 200lb.
The term Vegan and vegetarian is widely abused as you can eat Twinkies drink nothing but pop and be completely vegan. Vegan is not unhealthy if you know what you are doing. A large number vegans or vegetarians do not thoroughly investigate the nutrients necessary but be really healthy. Nothing but meat & taters with little or no other veggies
is a train wreak waiting to happen.

#9 ·
I am 17, mainly vegan and have been for the last 6 or 7 years; I rarely ever eat meat or dairy, and anyone can tell you that I don't look weak, brittle or sickly. I eat that way for health reasons and because I just don't feel the need for meat in my diet. I will however eat a bit of the deer that I shoot as well as other wild game, but not every week or even every month.

#10 ·
Lack of info

let me say one thing first, I am not vegan or vegetarian.

I have a small problem with this article, the lack of info. if they are going to post the results why not there data too? Do they have less bone mass because of a lack of calcium or protein? what if it was a vegan that had TVP in there diet and took supplements? Could it be because of genetics or something that happened to them in the past? And before anyone says anything about ovolactovegetarians yes I know eggs and dairy = protein and calcium.

#11 ·
I have heard that protein takes calcium out of our bodies.

I think balance is the key, as with many things in life. So many people eat way too much overprocessed food (white bread, potatoes, sugar) and are overweight.

Most of the vegans I know are thin. Does that make them unhealthy? I honestly don't know.

#12 ·
+1. Even scientific researchers still can't explain our rampant obesity but it leads into a HUGE discussion of societal changes in work, lifestyles, crime management, ease of use for processed foods, individual responses to food additives, etc. Everybody has their own opinion and until some better data comes along, they are correct. My personal medical research involves effects of alcohol consumption over time. :D: I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

#14 ·
I watched a British programme a few years back, where they took families and put them under survival situations. In one programme they had a mother and her daughters, who were vegetarian. They walked miles, made shelters, but after I think it was two days without food, they soon fished and ate the thing raw. This was later followed by something else they caught (like a rabbit, I cant remember what it was).

If your hungry enough you will eat anything; that is ofcourse there isnt a medical reason why you cant.

Iv known a few vegetarians in my time, they all seem to have very pale pigmented skin to almost Albino status. In the Metaphysical circles a lot are vegetarian for spiritual purposes, but they dont seem to get on faster or further then meat eaters.

#15 ·
Wait I thought eating meat was a pervasion of nature? stupid Vegheads. I have canines for a reason

#18 ·
I don't buy this vegetarians with brittle bones "study".

Countries that consume a high protein meat/dairy based diet suffer from more hip fractures. Go figure. Too much protein is a bad thing. Very common in western meat-based diets.

It reminds be of the so-called news yesterday reporting some study saying chelation therapy was unproven to be of any benefit for heart health while simultaneously reporting on the near miraculous benefits of statin drugs--even suggesting that they be used on "healthy" people. My BS detecter was pegged yesterday and it's pegging for this "study", too.

I was a vegetarian for five years and kept a robust 195 pounds while running, biking, climbing and weight-lifting. The body doesn't require "meat". It requires essential amino acids (among other things) and doesn't care where they come from. Rice and beans work just fine. So do eggs.

I haven't even dug into this story yet, but I'd be willing to bet that it's another case of follow the money . . . .

#19 ·
I took a look at the "Not eating meat makes you weak and brittle" article. Just as I suspected. Complete rubbish. Or is it, Bullocks?

For starters, the headline is a lie. The study found nothing of the kind. It doesn't make one "weak and brittle". This is supermarket tabloid crap.

Here's what the writer said on his opening sentence.

People who live on vegetarian diets have weaker bones than their meat-eating counterparts, Australian researchers said Thursday.
Again, not what the researchers found. The writer looks like an idiot with these follow-up quotes from the researcher:

“The results suggest that vegetarian diets, particularly vegan diets, are associated with lower bone mineral density,” Nguyen wrote in the study, which was published Thursday in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Nguyen, who is from Sydney’s Garvan Institute for Medical Research and collaborated on the project with the Pham Ngoc Thach University of Medicine in Ho Chi Minh City, said the question of whether the lower density bones translated to increased fracture risk was yet to be answered.
We don't need no stinking follow-up research! The writer's done it himself.
Lower bone density makes you "weak and brittle".

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001227082125.htm

ScienceDaily (Dec. 28, 2000) — Elderly women who get a much higher intake of their dietary protein from animal products rather than vegetables have an increased risk of bone loss and hip fracture, a University of California, San Francisco study has found, suggesting women may be able to improve bone health by eating more vegetables.
While there was no difference in initial bone mineral density among the groups of women, the high ratio category had three times the rate of bone loss as the women in the low group during the follow up period. The high group also had 3.7 times the rate of hip fractures compared to the low group. This is after researchers adjusted for age, weight, estrogen use, tobacco use, exercise, total calcium intake and total protein intake.
Next . . .

Isn't Michael Jackson still dead? :rolleyes:

#20 ·
What a lot of nonsense.

Finding an unrepresentative group of vegetarians who don't have enough calcium in their diets and weak bones just proves that people who don't have enough calcium in their diets have weak bones.

Big deal. Bad science and the people who use it to try and prove anything are being foolish or gullible.

For the record i eat meat, but i'm perfectly aware that it's possible to have a very healthy vegetarian diet.

Here are some studies that 'prove' that vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8127215.stm
Vegetarians 'avoid more cancers'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6180753.stm
High IQ link to being vegetarian
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2526891.stm
Vegetarian diet 'cuts heart risk'

I see a lot of people here unthinkingly just accept the conclusions of a report they haven't read simply because it confirms their prejudices. That's pretty poor, it shows a serious lack of critical thinking.

#21 ·
Us scandinavians have the largest portion of brittle bones. Do we eat meat? YOU BETCHA!!!

People in India have many health issues and many are poor, but they don't have brittle bones and they have very good teeth. And they are vegetarians.

Overeating red meat is linked to cancer.

I know meat eaters want a simple "You die if you don't eat meat".

It's not that simple.

Maybe I should go vegan. At least they are usually thin.

I eat meat in moderation.

#23 ·
I see a lot of people here unthinkingly just accept the conclusions of a report they haven't read simply because it confirms their prejudices. That's pretty poor, it shows a serious lack of critical thinking.
bingo.

my dad was nearly a complete vegetarian for a decade (he had meat less then a dozen times in those ten years). during those ten years he was a gymnast, and weight lifted (the top in his university), a runner, and worked hard landscaping. to this day (he's just over 60), he still does weights, runs, hikes, and landscapes.

he still rarely eats meat, he only eats fish twice a week. that's it. and he's still stronger/more then the twenty and thirty year olds that work for him. apparently eating a diet that is 99% not meat is working well for him...

#28 · (Edited)
I'm not totally vegetarian (I still like my occasional meat) but I did switch to a near-vegetarian diet about 4 months ago. Mostly I did it because I have high cholesterol and I wanted to reduce it without drugs. I actually had a reasonable diet before, though I was about 20 lbs overweight. Here it is 4 months after I started and I'm 20 lbs lighter, running 3X per week. I haven't seen the doc yet to get the cholesterol checked but I'll let y'all know when I do.

I feel great BTW. It's not very scientific; maybe I just feel better from losing weight or running. Who cares! LOL

#29 · (Edited)
Actually, that study applies to vegan diets, not ovo-lacto vegetarianism, which is the most common form of vegetarianism. They found no difference between ovo-lacto vegetarianism and regular meat eaters. So it sounds like as long as you keep some form of animal protein in your diet, you're fine. Veganism = extreme vegetarianism, no animal products whatsoever, not even honey.

*Not currently a vegetarian, although I tried it for a while.*

Vegetarian diet linked to weaker bones

Vegans, who refrain from eating all animal products, were mostly affected, with 6% weaker bones.

However, Nguyen found that there was "practically no difference" between the bone density of meat-eaters and ovolactovegarians, who do not eat meat or seafood but include eggs and dairy in their diets.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyl...t_linked_to_weaker_bones.html#ixzz0KKRqvXLS&C
The headlines really should read Vegan Diets Linked to Weaker Bones, not Vegetarian Diets. Of course, the media are too dumb to know the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian, but what else is new?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.