Survivalist Forum banner

'Safehaven Area'

6K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  nevisberg 
#1 ·
What people's opinions as to the best place to Bug Out to ? ... What area of the UK will be the safest and most self-sufficient after SHTF ? ...

Where you going to be heading if you had to Bug Out - if you had no BOL ?

#5 ·
Me and my family will be jumping in our 4x4 and hitting the backroads upto Uig then getting a boat to canna, highly self sufficient community on canna and 6 holiday lets we are going to commandeer one they are owned by the scottish national trust. as canna only has a population of 14 it will be a good starting point.

#8 ·
Come a real SHTF situation huge numbers would be swarming over so called remote areas.
Im not so sure they would, especially those in the cities and big towns. You have to remember the vast majority are not prepared in the slightest for any kind of SHTF scenario. They won't have any pre-designated locations outside of their cities they could bug out to in the first place. For those who do venture out, they won't get far, assuming fuel becomes difficult to get, and i doubt many will be willing or even able to go more than a just few miles on foot. And of course most have zero experience of any kind of wild/self sufficient living, no equipment, so even if they did manage to make it to the deepest, darkest forests and mountains, they will likely just starve or freeze to death. Even experienced survivalists sometimes die in the wilderness, so what chance does the average joe have?

I bet during SHTF, the thought that, "hmm, i am going to have to be solely responsible for my own survival and wellbeing now" won't even cross the mind of the average sheepleton. They will do what they always do, run to the government and beg for help and hand outs. They won't run to the hills, they will (very stupidly) run to any police or military refugee camps.

No, i think post-SHTF you may actually find the countryside becoming a bit quieter. Which is just fine by me :thumb:

#10 ·
Perhaps in a couple of months/years the countryside will quieten down, in the meantime there would be millions leaving the cities looking for food and willing to kill for it.

There are not many places in the UK more than 50 miles from a major conurbation, 2 or 3 days walk.

The UK is far too densely populated to hide in the same way as you might in countries with vast wildernesses. Canna for example, there are already people there and they will have shed loads of friends and family who want to stay there.

I don't think preppers will be the only ones to survive, many people will adapt quickly and be ruthless with it, some will just get lucky.

#11 ·
Depends on the scenario I'm bugging out from, for most mundane scenarios Travel Lodge for the more extreme West into Wales and along the coast if its extreme and prolonged North(ish) or South(ish) depending on severity of scenario.

The plans were worked out in my more zealous years when I first got on board, they're my plans and I'm not sharing :rofl:

#13 ·
I gthink a lot of Brits will falter and fail miserably but a lot of the imports are likely to have brought skills with them.
I already see flatheads foraging as opposed to indiginous scrounger types.

#16 ·
Would like to think we would go back to large families in one house ... Grandparents telling people what it was like in the War and people actually listening ...

The skills we need are only dead to the last few generations of Brits ... Anyone that lived through the war will have home front and self sufficiency ...

#20 ·
Input from across the Atlantic

This morning (we're 6 hours apart) I was reading some news out of Gr.Britain, so I wandered into this area of the surv.boards. I know the people/culture of the rural American South ... well, to the degree such can be known. It seems the countryside breeds complexity in human nature.

Jubbles mentioned knowing your neighbors. I think that point is unimaginably important. In the States it sure is. Just show up on somebody else's land and you can get a bad case of traumatic lead poisoning. The locals consider local public lands to be their own, right? Right. The hills and streams belong to them also. It's their territory; it really is.

However, if you go there now and form relationships with the locals, scout the land, understand the culture, find the camping areas, on and on ..., then should you show up in an emergency, you'll less likely be seen as an interloper. Easiest thing, if possible, make it a holiday destination if they have rentals, bed & breakfasts, and such. Get out, spend money, make acquaintances, and smile a lot.

Another thing, if you head there during bad times, in the name of God, bring barter with you -- SERIOUS barter. If the electric grid is down or not trustworthy, bring your electric generator with you. No truck or caravan, then buy or construct a trailer. Here in the states, there are stores who carry all of the parts for trailers -- leaf springs, axles, tires, electrical wiring for lights / turn-signals -- the whole shooting match except the lumber for the bed.

Think about what they will need. All rural folk here own firearms, but that may not be the case over there. So, here you show up with a shotgun (join a shooting club and get to be a skeet/trap shooter -- it's a bunch of fun by the way), a water filter, canned goods, and maybe even a electric generator. And they know your face. You've spent money there. You've been seen at the restaurants, wherever. You've made friends. Now you can help defend them, light a house, and you've brought food. It may not exactly be home away from home, but at least you may just be able to fit-in long enough to get through the social upheaval.

Do not flash cash or precious metals. I don't think I need to expound upon that. The "nicest" of people can go way strange under the right circumstances, now can't they!

#24 ·
where you bug out to will get flooded by everyone else leaving the cities and towns, everywhere is going to get flooded with thieves and chancers out to rob, strip and pinch any thing they can. but thats why we prep

personally i think your all bonkers for the ideas so far, lol

WE ARE AN ISLAND NATION so why not live just off it?

me personally i am off down the river severn collecting as many barges as i can the idea is to make a floating secure castle in the middle of the bristol channel, feeding off the wood and debre that floats down and the fish that float up, a small sailing boat will allow for night time trips to the shore to collect mud and foods .
cardigan bay in mid wales is another great spot, fairly shallow sea water, but with some protection

i dont get the "the lets bug out to the countryside thing"
everyone seams to think they can instantly revert to the war years and our parents skills, what will happen is instead of say 1,000 people collecting food and fuel from the countryside there is going to be several million trying to do it, they are going to strip and destroy any thing and every thing they can all under the name of self preservation, and as for north scotland, forget it the locals cant survive unaided at the best of times. it will end up a massive grave yard for people who thought they could live there

nope sorry people the sea is your best bet

#33 ·
Goodness you've a negative outlook ;) Seashore foraging is one of the most "fruitful" places in the whole of the UK (outside Tesco maybe).

For a very brief introduction:
http://naturesmother.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/foraging-on-the-seashore/

And it's mile after mile after mile of coast in case you hadn't noticed. Your comment is probably more valid for any person living in an urban environment post SHTF.

#30 ·
This is a Yank butting in again.

I think you guys have the capability to be more self-sufficient than you imagine. Dear Lord, I've only a small garden, but I'm usually stuck with more vegetables than we can eat. I certainly end up giving away squash (not this year, the drought did my garden in, I needed to water it much more often / run the roof's downspouts into it).

When society really breaks down, I imagine that nobody is going to care if some looters get shot or step on booby-traps and such. Liberal whiners are enabled during fat-times, but they'll shut up when the SHTF. Nobody is going to have an ounce of sympathy for interlopers when times get hard.

Screw razor blades to your clubs, buy up shotgun shells, road stars can be used against looters on foot (put them under a cover of grass sod -- they'll come up through the sod and into people's feet, use earplugs for the screaming), there are an infinite number of ways of taking the enemy out of action. Crush their will to exist. Burn them to death ... drive over them with trucks if all else fails.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CY0C48906

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.