Survivalist Forum banner

What are the Types of Shelter One can Build?

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  ColoradoWildcat 
#1 ·
What are the types of shelter one can build or live in?

Iv seen things line lean toos, tents, teepees, but what else is there?

In a local shop they built a huge Russian type hut out of wood and carpet, but I cant remember the name of it.

1. Tent
2. Teepee
3. Lean too out of wood and flora
4. Cave
5. Tent made from wood and flora

?

#4 ·
well not be a smart a** BUT, i can live in a house, an apartment, a hotel room, motel room (if clean) my truck, a shed, anything with a roof, and sometimes even with out a roof.

plus what was already mentioned above.

just kidding i know what you meant

i could build a small log cabin if i had the time and tools.

#5 ·
In a local shop they built a huge Russian type hut out of wood and carpet, but I cant remember the name of it.
Probably a Siberian 'chum'. Looks kind of like a tipi.

There's more kinds of shelters than you could possibly name - and most have 'sub' catagories and variations. And lots of people call the same design by different names.

There's the aframe - the 'debris' shelter, all kinds of 'trench' shelters for snow and dirt, there's quiggly holes, there's log cabins and structures, there's tipi's, yurts, chums, etc, there's so many that it defies cataloging.

Instead - look at the design elements, and then look at the "roof" materials. That generally will narrow it down a little and most structures are comprised of a handful of basic designs. It basically boils down to single slope roof, double sloped roof, conical and flat, and materials are natural or man made, and fall into 'debris', wood, soft (like tarps) or hard. Then you add 'enclosed or exposed' depending if it completely shelters or has a permanent opening that's part of the design.

A 'lean to' is a single sloped roof with no sidewall (roof goes to the ground) using a high angle with an exposed front. It might be made of natural wood and debris (such as leaves and moss) or it might be man made such as a tarp.

An a-frame is a double sloped roof (slope on each side) with no sidewall that may or may not be enclosed or exposed at the ends. May be hard or soft walled and made with natural mat's and debris or man made such as a tarp.

A tipi is a conical or point roof with no sidewalls, usually made of man made or processed soft materials (such as hide, tarp, etc).

There are massive numbers of variations on the themes.

#6 · (Edited)
Check and get your self arround Google and survival books and this site and just about every site to do with the out doors and you tube and the SAS survival guide and all the Ray Mears books and Bear Grylls books and survivorman books and this web site and all you have to do is get up and do it.

#8 ·
Yurts. Good shelter, cheap to build.

I like using a tarp for temporary shelter. Once you have your temp. shelter up and comfy, you can start on something more substantial for longer term usage.

#10 ·
Sod houses, Caverns,Hogans,Pallet/skid shacks. Dry stacked masonry stone houses with wood roofs. Cordwood houses. The types of inhabitable spaces in only limited to materials and the skill/ knowledge to build them.

#11 ·
my favorite shelter to build in the bush is a double sided lean-to. I connect the 2 peak poles at chin level to 2 trees at least 12 inches wide. Then when I stand up I can see out the top. Build a fire in the middle and you have fire reflection on all sides when sides are closed in. Lots of room for wood storage ect. and a small crawl in door opening. A trash bag filled with leaves makes a dandy door.

#13 ·
Yurts! Granted they take a bit to set up but are time tested and can be huge if you want them to be. Takes a fair bit of material, but while they are mobile (if you have a truck for the larger sizes, or large pack animal) when they are set up they really can feel like a permanent structure, and many people use them as year round stuctures in all weather.

#16 ·
What are the types of shelter one can build or live in?

?
I built my own house. Does that count? That's a tiny picture of it as my avatar.

I have a couple different kinds of tents but I use a tarp for shelter for the most part. It's just so easy to set up and take down. I'm teaching classes this weekend and shelter building is one of the classes I'm teaching. helters made out of natural materials take a long time to build. If that is what your plan is to do, then try to live primitively. If you are planning on traveling quickly though a portable shelter is the way to go. I like a tarp over my canoe. Takes me about a minute to do it so I can travel later into the day. If you're going to have to make your shelter from scratch everytime you stop, you have to stop in the early afternoon, earlier in the spring or in heavy rain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.