Survivalist Forum banner

Fish antibiotics

74K views 28 replies 27 participants last post by  eatgreens 
#1 ·
I've been interested in learning if the antibiotics available for fish are appropriate for human use. We know the lable says "not for human consumption". Yesterday, I had one of my dogs at the vet and brought along a bottle of fish-mox and asked her about it.

In her opinion, the biggest difference was in the manufacturing process. Obviously compounds for humans have to pass a rigorous level of quality controls mandated by the FDA. The same is not true for the fish based drugs. She opined the manufacturing process was way less stingent and the drugs could be "dirty". Obviousy fish mox is dumped into water than is far less than clean.

In a SHTF scenario if its all we got, its got to be better than nothing.

Just my 2 cents...

#3 ·
Brookman, please search out some of our past discussions on this. I've been using fish antibiotics for several years. They're identical to those labeled "For Humans". They work. I was able to find a picture of my "fish" amoxicillin on the internet in seconds; it was with all the other generic forms. Right now I have around 600 assorted fish antibiotics and plan to get more. For one thing, it means I don't have to waste time at the doctor (and no bbbiiiggg bill). Some of the clinics, such as CVS, won't give antibiotics unless the patient tests positive for strep. They're following CDC guidelines, which means some paper-pusher in Atlanta decides what medicine you can have. Not this rebel.

#4 ·
First, do you know how to tell if you have a bacterial infection or a viral infection?

VERY generally speaking, a viral infection will result in full body pain while a bacterial infection is localized (for instance only your right ear and throat hurt).

That said, I have used fish mox twice in the past 4 years with positive results within 3 or 4 days.

#5 ·
Guys/gals.. I agree she said nothing around the compounds being different in dosage or efficacy. Her only comment was around the manufacturing process. Further, I think part of the reason these are labeled not for human use is due to the potential for overuse, thus increasing the risk of drug resistant strains.

#6 ·
As with any antibiotic you need to make darn sure you use it enough to actually kill off the infection. A couple of days is a bad idea for most standard antibiotics in pill form. Cipro, if taken in enough dosage might do the trick in five days of so. If you don't get the infection completely resolved you risk creating a resistant strain in your own body. So, read the proper dosage and do the whole thing.

#8 ·
HAVING NOT READ THE ENTIRE THREAD.....

Funny, I was literally signing on to write about this very topic!!!

My Uncle is a vet and I was asking him about animal antibiotics (Don't know if there's a difference between animal and aquatic) and he said the animal antibiotics and the human antibiotics are exactly the same. He said his distributor that he uses for medications and stuff has a "human" side and an "animal" side and sometimes when they don't have something in stock in the "animal" side they order it from the "human" side and transfer it over to the "animal" stock before sending it to him.

That being said I ordered fish antibiotics and they came in the mail the other day..

My ex-gf's mom is a pharmacist, I spoke with her about dosing requirements and stuff. She too confirmed that antibiotics are antibiotics. The animal antibiotics are the exact same thing as the stuff we get at Walgreens.

I ordered mine from aquaticpharmacy.com, they advertise pharmacutical grade fish antibitotics.

EDIT: Be aware that dosing requirements for antibiotics is done by body weight. Example: I wiegh 170lbs and took 500mg of Amoxicillan 3x a day for 10 days recently for an infection in my mouth. That does not mean I would take the same dose for Cipro or Doxy... There are plenty of medical personnel around here that can help if you need to take antibiotics.

**I'm not a Doctor, use fish antibiotics at your own risk.**

#11 ·
I haven't ever used them but have done a bunch of research on them, and have some stocked up for SHTF scenarios. Just make sure the ones you get are USP - Pharmaceutical grade. And don't use them unless you really know how to dose them and what to use not use them for. Worst case is you could give them to so someone in your family or yourself who has an allergic reaction and ultimately someone could die. I have a nephew who was 2 and got a prescription filled from the doctor for amoxicillin and he had never had antibiotics before. He broke out in huge blister/welts all over his entire body. They had to take him to the ER, it looked like the plague, it was freaky. So just be smart about it.

I get mine from FishMoxFishFlex and have been really happy with them.

#12 ·
You can buy quite a few different types of antibiotics at your local feed store. they are labeled as being for livestock and their concentrations are typically different than the ones intended for humans. But their active ingredients are essentially the same as others have mentioned.

1USD mentioned that meds are typically weight based, and this is generally true. So you have to be careful with that when using concentrations of meds that were intended for animals weighing 3-5 times what a human weighs. and also remember that most dosages are mg/kg, so convert your weight in pounds to kg to make sure you dont calculate out a dose that is way too much for your size.

#14 ·
Went ahead and ordered $118 worth of Cipro, Amox, and Tetracycline from Cal Vet...

Figured better safe than sorry. Prices can go no where but up if a prepping frenzy catches on...

Reactions: East Coast Woods
#15 ·
I used fish mox, for a bladder infection and it worked. I keep a stock of them for itshtf. They are not a cure all, but sometimes antibiotics can save your life.

As far as them not being under the regulations of the FDA, so they might be dirty, Have you read the labels on our food, lately? The FDA does not care about our health. I understand that we need regulations, but they do not insure that we have safe food or drugs, so taking fish antibiotics does not bother me.

#18 ·
If you want to use these drugs after society fails, by all means do what you want. However as long as society is still functioning please have a doctor or P.A. make the decision if these drugs are appropriate. Not necessarily for your welfare, but for mine and my future children's. This is why there are so many drug resistant bacteria now.

Just wait until all these pathogens associated with the third world come back because we can't treat them anymore.

#23 ·
Penicillin is not a cure all. If you have the sniffles, DO NOT TAKE ANTIBIOTICS. You must have a confirmed BACTERIAL infection using a gram stain and culture. We have several hundred types of antibiotics available and many of those were created for one type of bacteria. There is a reason antibiotics are controlled like they are. If you mess up with opiates, you kill yourself; if you mess up with antibiotics, you risk killing thousands.

#20 ·
Hi Everyone,

We have been researching and writing about this issue for a longtime now. In fact our original article on fish antibiotics and expiration dates was published on survivalblog in July 2010. Here are a couple of articles to get you started:

http://www.doomandbloom.net/2011/11/antibiotics-and-their-use-in-collapse-medicinetm-part-1.html

http://www.doomandbloom.net/2011/10/fish-antibiotics-in-a-collapse.html

Here is a video we made on fish antibiotics:

http://www.doomandbloom.net/2012/03/3082.html

If you have any questions regarding these issues we are happy to answer them,
Nurse Amy

#22 ·
Please educate yourself before self medicating with these antibiotics. Under dosing will only create resistant bugs and using the wrong antibiotic can be dangerous and will also create resistant strains. Some have mentioned sinus infections amoxil really isn't a good drug to use and length of time is not 3-4 days, it's 2 weeks, I prescribed for 2 weeks of antibiotics for sinus infections because of poor penetration of the medication into the sinuses. Its really not wise to self medicate anyway, please, see your medical provider in the future but if SHTF, get a Sanford Guide at the least, really easy to follow.

#25 ·
You know, my general doc has never done a culture on me and I've been to him several times. Upper resperatory infection I get a shot of rosefin and a zpack, chest infection that lasts 10 days, I get a shot of (you guessed it rosefin) and levoquin. Sinis infection zpack. Strep throat he gave me cefdiner I think.

#28 ·
Fish Mox Amoxicillin

This product does work. About 6 years ago I had an ear infection that I could not clear up myself. Went to the doctor $285 dollars later (out of pocket) walked out with a prescription in hand. Then I had a reoccurance of the ear thing a couple years later. I said, not going to go to a walk-in again, and did some research online. A pharmacist wrote the article about this product.
I wanted to check it out a little more and have a friend who worked for a Pharmaceutical company for a long time and first asked, if a product is listed as Amoxicillin, are there different kinds. If it was a different, it would be given a different name. Food grade is food grade. Many companies package the same product in different container with different labels, off the same line. So I set out to find some locally at the pet stores ... a the 6th one I went in, I was told what feed store carried it. I went there and yup there it was on the shelf. The clerk said, you don't have to tell me why you need it to buy it. When I looked at him, he said they are not suppose to sell it for anything except to take care of the fish, and winked. Got it. Used it and it worked. It is now one of my SHTF supplies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.