Survivalist Forum banner
68K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  WhiskeySix5 
#1 ·
I'm used to eating Mountain House and Alpine Aire (because of camping/hiking..and they are lightweight).

However, I'm looking at trying to find a good price on MREs, when light weight isn't a concern.

Any suggestions?

Evidently I'm not searching good enough on the forums.

Thanks!

#17 ·
Do the meals (Entree) or kits come with the heaters or can you purchase them separately?

#8 ·
I only buy the entree's...it saves a lot of money. You can get more food with the money you save, just buying the main meal, instead of all the extra. Throw in your own dessert, your own condiments from whereever. Vacbag'em or throw'em in a ziplock bag and your good. It saves space too.-WW

#13 ·
Why are most of the local brick and mortar stores not selling the Mountain House in which the air has been vacuumed out? I like those much better as they do not take as much space.

As for ordering online, I can't tell from the list which of the MH items on BePrepared are the fat pouches with air and which are the squeezed down ones. I guess I could go research the item number but that's a PITA.

#29 ·
I'm used to eating Mountain House and Alpine Aire (because of camping/hiking..and they are lightweight).

However, I'm looking at trying to find a good price on MREs, when light weight isn't a concern.

Any suggestions?

Evidently I'm not searching good enough on the forums.

Thanks!
if weight isnt a concern why not just by canned food :rolleyes: you get twice as much as you would buying MRE's

or just make your own

#30 ·
I like my MREs Raw, uncooked. When I'm down to eating MREs, I'm not playing "Mary Kitchen". I never bothered with the Heater in the Army because if the Army had wanted me to "Cook" my meal, they'de have issued me Stove/Oven. It was faster to just gobble them down and get back to Business.;) I'm all about the Business.

#32 ·
I was about to ask beprepared.com why they don't offer mre heaters until I read your post, and it makes sense. I eat cheese ravioli out of the can and it tastes just fine to me. Spam too. Why mess with a heater that takes that much more water that I can't live without. They are ready-to-eat, not necessarily ready-to-heat. Thanks-

#31 ·
Yup - I've been eating Mountain House for years, and I am all for prepping with those products that I already eat normally including canned goods. That being said, IMO, MRE's have their place...as do canned goods, Mountain House, cold cuts, strip steaks and coca-cola. This thread is about MRE's. :thumb:

#33 ·
If we are talking about military MRE's (really the only ones I know anything about) then yes, they will take quite a bit of indirect heat. If they touch the flames though or get too close, the bag will melt, so it is about of trial and error to you feel out the right distance.

Nothing wrong with eating them cold, and there have been many a day when we were humping that they were eaten while walking, but, given the chance, I was all about making something tasty. I mean, I have lived months at a time with nothing but MRE's, and it gets old... ESPECIALLY cold. My point is I do not ever want to have to go back to that if I can help it, so therefore I would rather augment the meal, rather than "rely" on it alone. Mix up a little cobbler, or get a bag of ramen to add to an entree, or maybe even some fresh eggs.

Makes sitting in some armpit of the world just a little more tolerable if only for a little while... but then I am a medic, and a foodie, so my guys always came by my "hasty fighting position" to see whats cookin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.