Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the deal with Paracord?

14K views 25 replies 25 participants last post by  ATST 
#1 ·
Why is paracord such a buzzword on these sites?

Why would I ever have a bracelet made of paracord just so I have some around all the time?

I'm new---please explain the extraordinary usefulness of paracord.

#6 ·
it's just a really good quality of rope. Thats It. Rope and other cordage generally has alot of uses in camping/BOBS/Post-apoc kinda stuff so some people go nuts over it.

I'm with some of the others. I like it, I have some, but I dont wear bracelets of it.

#7 ·
When you need a piece of rope, it is available right on your wrist or waist.

Just this week I:

1) cut 2 different colors of paracord and printed a knot tying book for my grandson. He left his belt home & needed something to hold his pants up.

2) used some cord to tie a tarp on my trailer to keep contents from getting wet.

3) fished a wire to hook up trailer lights to my truck.

It is handy stuff.

#8 ·
Google: "uses for paracord", and you'll be inundated with plenty of reasons why having some paracord laying around is a smart idea.

Here's a list to get you started:

1) Make-shift belt
2) Repair torn clothing with the internal strands which slide easily out of the kernmantle (casing). Use a makeshift needle or be sure to keep one in your first-aid kit.
3) Repair torn or broken equipment
4) Rig a makeshift tow rope. A single length of paracord has been tested to handle 550 lbs of weight, so wrap it securely 10 times and you have the ability to pull 5500 lbs.
5) Securely tie down items to the top of a vehicle
6) String up a clothes line
7) Hang a bear bag to keep your food away from critters
8) Replace your shoe laces. Just burn the ends and thread them through.
9) Replace a broken Zipper pull
10) Use it as dental floss. Pull out the internal strands and keep up your hygiene even in the woods.
11) Tie things to your backpack with it so you can carry more stuff hands free.
12) Secure an animal to a tree or post, or make a leash.
13) Tie up a person
14) String up a trip wire to protect an area…rig it with bells, or cans or make a fancier trap
15) Lower yourself or an object very carefully down from a height (note: paracord is NOT climbing rope, and is only meant to be used as an emergency rappelling device)
16) Rig a pulley system to lift a heavy object
17) Make a ladder to get up or down
18) Tie up a tarp or poncho to make an awning to keep off sun or rain
19) If you’re hiking in a place where there is danger of avalanche tie yourself to your buddy so you can find each other should one of you get caught under snow
20) Keep your stuff. Tie objects you're likely to drop around your wrist, ankle, or waist
21) Make a pack by first making a netting then adding a draw-string
22) Build a shelter using sticks or by tying up the corners of a poncho or tarp
23) Rig an improvised hammock (in case you haven't sprung for a real hammock)
24) Make a snare out of the internal strands
25) Lash logs or other items together to build a raft.
26) Tie snow shoes. Bend a 1” branch in a teardrop shape. Tie it securely then weave the paracord back and forth across the opening. Tie this to your shoes.
27) Use it to make a bow drill for fire starting.
28) Make a sling to throw stones for protection and food.
29) Use it to make a bola for hunting large birds
30) Make fishing line by cutting a length and pulling out the internal strands (there are seven of them, each of which comes apart into two, so there's 14 thin lines if you aren't catching really big fish). Just tie them together.
31) Make a fish stringer. If you’ve just pulled the strings out to make fishing line, the remaining kernmantle (the colored sheath) would be plenty strong enough to hold fish. Otherwise just cut a length, and tie through the gills.
32) Secure your boat or raft
33) Make a net for fishing/trapping out of the internal strands…if you have some time on your hands
34) Tie straight sticks around a broken limb to make a splint.
35) Tie a sling to hold your arm
36) Sew up a wound using the internal strands. For thinner thread untwist one of the internal strands
37) Make a tourniquet to slow loss of blood
38) Make a stretcher by running paracord between two long sticks, or fashion a branch drag to move an injured person

#9 ·
Paracord is composed of a tough outer shell of textile, surrounding a collection of 7 different, smaller cords. Cords that can be used for tooth floss, fishing line, wrapping line guides on fishing rods, tying smaller objects together, the list of uses, even for preppers, is obviously very long.

Paracord whole is 550, which I suspect indicates weight holding potential, so that in the woods, one can haul a cache of aged beefsteaks, wine, baked potatoes and other foods up a tree to keep the bears interested, but not able to indulge. One can use it as guidelines for tents, for clothes lines, shoe laces, impromptu handcuffs for wilderness love games, as a garrote if handles are tied on the end, even if necessary, it can be used to extract a sore and inflamed tooth.

And finally, paracord can be both cathartic and therapeutic at one and the same time. Tune in, on any of several satellite networks, several times a week, to the CUTLERY CORNER KNIFE NETWORK show. Here, blessedly, there are no commercials...for indeed, the entire show is one long and exciting commercial.

One sits engrossed for hours, listening to Tom and Todd, and listening to and watching the lovely Shelia Travis as well, while they sell millions of knives to millions of viewers weekly.

Boring! you say? Not so, for the past couple of years, I've braided hundreds of paracord bracelets, paracord charm bracelets, necklaces, lanyards, rifle slings, fly fishing equipment neckbands (eliminates that hot and sticky vest...check out the newest Cabela's fly fishing catalog to see what I'm talking about), zipper pulls, ad infinitum...all while enjoying the Knife Show.

Giving the several hundreds of them all away, for free (well, I call the bracelets, unknowingly to none but myself 'Blessing Bracelets', for when I give them away, I say a silent but sincere prayer for the well being of the wearer).

I mix colors, or leave them solid colored, according to need or whim, making smaller bracelets for kids, but tend toward the military colors for me and the guys.

You can incorporate a number of smaller survival items in conjunction with paracord bracelets or lanyards, P38's, whistles, compasses, smaller multi-tools, Swiss Army Knives, and much more.

Finally, if you don't think paracord has great possibilities DO NOT go to the following blog,

Stormdranes blog.com

Anyhow, have a good one, and we'll catch you later...

#14 ·
As others mentioned, ya, it's great stuff and all but you want to know the real reason?

Survivalism and bushcraft have blown up in recent years and there are a ton of people looking to cash in on that. That's "Why is paracord such a buzzword on these sites". Great stuff... yes, but the reason it's so 'in your face' is money.

#15 ·
Thanks all very much. Nice to come home tonight and have this many responses. Google is ever-present, but ya'll gave me some lagnaippe. I dug the joke, Enscheff, and learned more about people's interests and gifting (shotgunbill) and the crass cottage industry appealing to prepper's love of practical things. #4 from Juanerful's post was impressive. Can pull up to 5500 lbs, when wrapped 10 X's around. Love it. And the fact it can be peeled apart for smaller tasks makes it an impressive multi-tasker to me. I'm on board.

#19 ·
It obviously seems like something to have in a BOB, camping pack, or with your other preps. Or even just in a junk drawer in the kitchen.

But I must admit, much of the time it seems like people are going out of their way and looking for a reason to use it, or at least from the kind of things I read on here. It definitely has uses, but some people are hoping to "have" to use it.

#22 ·
Paracord, as has already been said is extremely useful.

I think it's popularity with survival minded people goes back to WWII when Paratroopers were taught survival. They were taught to survive with the tools they had on hand. Which of course included Paracord.

From there survival use of paracord have simply been handed down from generation to generation. And of course in Paratrooper survival training today, they are still taught many uses of paracord.

#24 ·
I can see how the paracord bracelet can be useful, but for someone who doesn't have much knowledge in survival won't know what to do with it. I think the whole "all in one survival bracelet" thing is more of a selling point.

If you ask me, I would choose a lighter over a paracord any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.