Survivalist Forum banner

Uses for an old chest freezer?

33K views 38 replies 36 participants last post by  saigo 
#1 ·
Anyone have any good ideas to make use of an old chest freezer?

I have a 15 cubic foot chest freezer that died on me and I hate to throw it out without seeing if I can use it for something else. I can guarantee you the day after I throw it away someone will post a good idea involving an old freezer.

Thanks in advance

#4 ·
What is the advantage to storing ammo in a freezer?

#7 ·
That's what I needed!!!!:):):)

I now have a perfect place to store my chicken feed so that the critters can't get to it.

That is of course if a better use doesn't come along.:thumb:

Darn still no "Mega Thanks" button

#9 ·
#22 ·
if i had the room i would remove the motor and anything else that could possibly leak icky stuff, then layer with drainage material and finally good top soil and hang a grow light over top....suddenly you have an indoor garden for the winter. great especially for herbs, tomatos, lettuce etc that can be a bit picky about their growing conditions

#31 ·
If you bury it 2 inches below ground, could you tell me what you put around it to prevent the dirt from falling on to it ? I would like to do this, but I don't understand how I retain the dirt to prevent it from moving on to the door and making it difficult to open. I would think without shoring up the sides, one would find it difficult to open without having to remove the dirt get the door open--especially after a big rain.
Thanks for you help.

#32 ·
If you bury it 2 inches below ground, could you tell me what you put around it to prevent the dirt from falling on to it ?
The way I read that suggestion was to bury it with about 2" of the vertical sides protruding above ground level. Topped by the lid. That should keep dirt out.

I'd think that kind of setup might make for a decent fire locker to store gasoline cans as well. Away from main building/home, buried in cool dirt, with some sort of shade cover over the arrangement (plywood, tarp, etc.). And a padlock & hasp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.