Survivalist Forum banner

TC Venture vs. Remington 700ADL

69K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  TheReplay 
#1 ·
Opinions wanted; both are 30-06 but only one can be purchased

The TC Venture seems very nice at 449.00 with synthetic stock and blued hardware. Adequate scopes can be had for 75.00 or so bringing the total to $525.00

The Remington is what it is, a inexpensive version of a legend. $403.00 at Wally World with a 3-9x40 scope. These rifles are only made for big chain outfits now by Remington and are not labeled "ADL" but that is what they are.
I also heard that they have the same trigger assembly as a BDL since 2007.

I have a 700BDL that is better than any rifle I've ever fired but I have heard/read bad things about the ADL, mostly folks just bitching about the stock or manufacturing flaws.

My wonderful wife has decided to start whitetail hunting this year and she likes my 700BDL (30-06) but she can't have it...IT'S MINE! :)
The Thompson is very nice, the bolt is tight and smooth and it is a light rifle at 7lbs.

So I'm shopping and asking...

See less See more
#2 ·
I think perhaps you are mistaken on the ADL, BDL thing. The ADL is by far not a cheap version of the 700. It is still a tough as nails Rem 700. You may be thinking of the Remington 770 (formerly the 710), as it is a cheaper rifle made by Remington, and sold at many chain stores. The ADL is no longer made, and was replaced by the Remington 700 SPS (the SPS Stainless is a BDL version). I own a 700 ADL which came with a walnut monte carlo stock, a BDL which came with the same stock (from the factory) but has the drop plate. The difference between the 2 guns is a drop plate mag on the BDL, and sometimes fancier wood. The jeweling of the bolt seems to be a new thing on BDL's as well.

That being said, the factory Remington synthetic stocks are not very rigid, but for the average hunter/shooter will do the job just fine, and will not effect the gun or your ability to put down game. I am a wood stock fan myself, but do own a stainless SPS synthetic, as it is what came on the rifle but it will never wear out, sell, warp, or rot on me if I don't have the option to do upkeep on it.

I am a true hardcore Rem 700 fan, so my choice would go to the Remington 700 everytime (not the 770) The TC might be a nice rifle, but it wouldn't be able to hang with my tried and true 700's, for no other reason other than the fact that I refuse to own any other rifle!

#3 ·
They have always had the same trigger as any other 700. It's the mag well and trigger GUARD that are different.

in 2007 remington went to the "x-mark pro" trigger, a non-adjustable unit due to the tuning screws being epoxy coated. Some are set nicely at 3.5lbs (i have one) and some are quite stiff. Aftermarket triggers are an easy swap in though, so don't let is scare you off.

Keep in mind, the gun will be fine for basic hunting, but if you expect any kind of performance shooting to be done, you'll have to upgrade to a stock that isn't made of recycled milk jugs. Or get one with (or swap on) a wood stock and bed it.

Remington is not the fine company it once was. I have a couple of newer 700's, and they are just OK. They are more interested in quantity and big-box-sales now than quality and the accuracy and tolerances of the low-end actions (adl, sps, etc.) are slipping.

I'd look into a nicer remington 700 like a CDL or one of the synthetic stocked (HS precision composite, NOT plastic or rubber hogue) rifles with the polished bolt. They are a much smoother action right off the bat.

there are very nice 700's out there. CDL, varmint rifles, sendero, XCR, 5r milspec, etc.

#4 ·
The Wally World 700 is labled (on the WW tag) as a "700/S".
I have not gotten to really examine the rifle yet but it does not have the floor plate so it very well could be a 710, that is what it looks like.

I'm not writing off the TC yet though, it is very nice fit and finish wise and they do guarantee a 1" MOA which I imagine is ammo specific. I think I'd rather get the 700 though, it feels very familier.

My weapons policy has been "2 of each" thus far with the exception of her PPK/s that she HAD TO HAVE! at any cost :) (I'll admit, it is a tack driver) and I do have a .380 so at least the ammo is a match.

Hey and this is a weapon for my wife and not me so she will have the final say.
Thanks for the info and opinions.

#6 ·
She shot a 1.5" and a 1" group at 100yds with my 30-06 and told me "It's not that bad", in regards to the kick and she is not very big. To further the toughness aspect, my BDL has a plain plastic butt plate, no squishy rubber so if she want's an 06, that's what she'll get.

I spoke to a gunsmith and confirmed that the Walmart rifle is a 700ADL that Remington makes for WW and a few others and he says it is a fine rifle for hunting.

#7 ·
I've had a love affair with my Rem 700 ADL in 30-06 for over 10 yrs now! Used it on whitetails in the woods to caribou in the tundra and even at well below freezing temps it shot the same.
When my son wanted to start I went and looked at the new multi-numbered Rems, Savages, and the T/C. Rems and Savage were not done to saleable standards in the bolt area. The T/C was pathetic. Poorly fitted, stock had multiple pieces of different shades of walnut pressed and glued together (No, it wasn't a laminate stock) and rough bolt with a poor trigger.
I left with a Tikka T3 in .308 that he is still smiling with every time he shoots those long-range groups with the holes touching. Oh, and the bolt slid backwards on its own when I lifted the handle with the muzzle barely elevated.

#14 ·
I've had a love affair with my Rem 700 ADL in 30-06 for over 10 yrs now! Used it on whitetails in the woods to caribou in the tundra and even at well below freezing temps it shot the same.
I have been hunting with the same rig for over ten years now. Have killed several mulies, speed goats, and elk with it, with my longest shot being 330 yards. I can consistently hit targets out to 400+ and it routinely shoots about 1 MOA with good loads. The gun is a work horse, coupled with a Burris 3x9 scope. One thing I like about the Wally world ADL's is they are one of the few bolt actions that still come with iron sights, which I insist on having for backup. I once slipped on some shale on the first day of the elk hunt and busted my scope but was able to finish the hunt and take a spike with the irons so I am a big believer in them. If your scope gets busted without backup sights you have a really expensive and crappy club instead of a rifle!

#8 ·
Looking at the Wally World Remington; parkerized, synthetic. You can see sunk-in places in the stock. But the bolt is very smooth. It's like they took a BDL and sprayed it with flat black paint and then put the cheapest synthetic stock on it that they could find.

The TC seemed considerably nicer in fit and finish. The bolt is the only thing that seemed to be lacking, it was a little sticky but it had not been cleaned yet. There was still cardboard fiber all over it from shipping.

My wife called me at 5:30 this evening and said that she was over at the gun shop, the one with the TC. She said "I want this one."

Hell, who could argue with that :) I did the same thing when she wanted the Walther PPK/S.

We got the rifle, A Bushnell 3-9X40 and a cheap hardshell case for about 600 bucks.

The weight is about the same as a 700BDL but it seems lighter. I found the more narrow stock and fore end makes it feel a little lighter but the weight is only 6 - 8 ounces lower in the TC. The balance is very nice; I have always had problems with heavy in the barrel feel in synthetic stocks but not here.

I have Remington Core-lokt in 150, 165 & 180; we're going to go to the Range early in the morning and see what it will do.

Remember, it carries a 1" MOA guarantee.

I'll report back in a day or so. If this is as good as TC says it is, it is a keeper.

#9 ·
Alright, the numbers are in...
We went to the range at 7:30 this morning and tried out the new addition.
It is wonderful, the slim stock design does make it nicer shooting offhand.
The synthetic stock and squishy butt pad make the recoil much less noticeable. This rifle in .243 or .270 would be a dream for those that are not as tough as my wonderful wife.

From the sandbag at 50 yards you can just enlarge one hole over and over.
At 100 yards it is +/-1 inch groups with 150, 165 & 180 grain Core-lokt rounds.

For 450.00 it is a sweet rifle, well worth the money.

#12 ·
I thought I would revive this thread as I see several posts asking for deer gun advice.

The Thompson Center Venture is well worth a look.
We've had it for over a month now and it is VERY impressive.
It keeps up with my 700BDL in every way with 2 exceptions:
1 - The bolt is not as smooth, which is not a real issue. The bolt on the Remington could be moved by a strong wind if it is unlocked, it is perfect. The TC does not chatter or stick at all though.

2 - The TC is not as drop dead gorgeous as the 700, YMMV :)

That being said, take a look at the reviews and articles on the web and try to look at one, they are amazing for 450.00. Every bit as good as a high end Remington at near half the price.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

#13 ·
both are fine rifles,....

I was considering the 700 adl also,...but I played with it and a few others,....the 700adl really didn't impress me....oh it was nice,..but not what I expected.

I ended up buying a Marlin XL-7..........it had to me the best trigger and smoothest bolt of all of them.

The 700 adl just didn't seem like the quality was there,......as opposed to older 700'sI'd seen.

anyways,..I don't think you can go wrong with either you listed,..they'll both get the jobs done,....just minor differences and you'll have to play with both to find what qualities you like in each,...good luck!

ps: I got the 25-06,...........but the 30-06 if a fine fine caliber also,......can do anything ya want .

#16 ·
Help me out, I guess I am stupid. What happen to the 700 adl with the bull barrel? I thought it was one of the best weapons made. Now I am talking of my issue in 82.. it was (is) a good weapon. Now mind you, the 300 Win. was being played with as well. I'm sorry if I am abit off thread...

#15 ·
remington i think their is no comparison. but again i have several customs hs precision and christensen arms my remingtons with light triger work a break and a
good scope will shoot with the best of them. i have killed a lot of deer @500 plus yards
my 12 year old just killed a coyot at 1170 yards with my .308
ok let it start but I have to ask what in the hell are you thinking a 30.06 ????

#24 ·
i have shot a 7mm ultramag for years its the kinda gun that just does all the work for you 500 yard shot are nothing i realy could not count the deer i have killed with it.
it just fits me. i started messing around with others 300wsm,7mmwsm, 338 ultramag,300ulta. all the new stuff but just always end up with the old standby. but recently i have
been so drawn in by .308 its been their all the time and i just over looked it. i have targets set up @ 500 and 800 yards and it is dead on. for now it looks like the one

#25 ·
In WV it's hard to find 500yds of land flat enough to take practice shots, leave aside actually take meat at that range.
I have a friend out west that says that easterners aren't good marksmen because he also hunts with magnum rifles at long distance. I always tell him that he needs that long range because he doesn't have the hunting skills to sneak within 100 yards of a deer.

#28 ·
To: wyorover

I think your comment about the 30-06 is inaccurate and uneducated. the 30-06 itself is well known for shooting long range. For example, the M1 grand. Though hunting rifles aren't meant to shoot as far as an M1 set for long range, they will still shoot a few hundred yards easily, depending on the model. I have personally shot whitetails with my model 70 -06 out to 200 yards and have never missed my target. And about the ammo... they make a 220 grain bullet that is more than enough for even the biggest game, elk, bear, moulies, you name it that rifle will bring it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.