Survivalist Forum banner

Sigma S&W....

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  N5TDA 
#1 ·
#2 ·
"Cheap Glock" indeed...Glock sued them over it, some sort of settlement reached. The first generation of them had some probs, but seem to be okay now.

Most folks who have them claim good reliability now.
But the MP series are better pistolas.
If you're getting it for carry, the SW M&P Compact models are hard to beat.

Didn't understand the question re FMJ rounds.
You can shoot FMJ in any gun.

- OS

#3 ·
Don't know anything about 'em, but speaking of "cheap glock"...my opinion is that those things are junk. They don't fit my hand at all, have no hammer (I have never trusted a sidearm that doesn't have a hammer I can touch), and are only popular because of Hollywood. My opinion is, if it's anything at all like a GLock, stay away from it.

I'll stick with a 1911. Or a Browning HP (with a flush-fit 15) if I'm forced to use something that isn't a .45 ACP. Another great little sidearm is a Ruger P97DC (also .45 ACP). Reliable, accurate, light, and fairly compact.

#4 ·
You aren't the Stickman from Ranier Arms are you?

Glocks and other striker fired pistols are only popular because *gasp* THEY WORK! And work well.

THe Sigma I handled was VERY Glock like (even broke down just like one, internals looks extremely similar too), except I haven't heard good things about their reliability.

I liked the M&P I shot a lot though. I'd take one of those any day.

#7 ·
Not the same Stickman, no, and I will admit (grudgingly) that reliability isn't really a Glock problem...it's the fit of the weapon itself. My hands are big, and to hold a .45 Glock in my hand without forcing my trigger finger to rub the slide and be forced into the trigger guard at a downward angle, I have to float my pinky finger in the air. Just uncomfortable as hell, in fact it's about the most uncomfortable sidearm I've ever held.

Plus, they were popularized by Hollywood.

Dang man, you must be a sasquatch! haha

Most people have problems with Glock grips being too big, especially the .45 and 10mm frames...

#10 ·
Dang man, you must be a sasquatch! haha

Most people have problems with Glock grips being too big, especially the .45 and 10mm frames...
A 1911 fits me OK, though honestly I'd prefer custom made grips...those are pricey, though, and I'm not going to attempt them myself.

No, really I'm an average sized guy, it's just that everybody else is too small. I'm 6'2", about 205 (ok, yeah, that's when I'm working, in the summer.....winter sees me as much as 235), size 13 feet. And you know what they say about a guy with big hands and feet.

Big shoes and gloves.

#14 ·
The Sigma/SW9VE are inexpensive, not cheap. When they first came out they had one issue, extractors. They were failing. This was resolved in subsequent production runs. They were a blatant copy of the Glock. They were nick named SWocks. Glock sued as some of the parts were allgedly interchangeable, such as the barrel.

I had one, my wife had one. I took my CCW class with mine and have shot a few thousand rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. It's fed whatever ammo I could get cheaply. I have two complaints: plastic guide rod and bad trigger. I never liked the plastic guide rod, it just made me nervous. The trigger was attrocious at 11-12 pounds and was DOA.

I'd buy another if it was on sale. I'd choose it over a High Point. If it were my money, I'd spend a little more and get a Glock, Springfield XD or another proven fighting gun.

#15 ·
I've own two of them, and overall for the price it's a decent gun. I bought it for the size and it's easy enough for the little lady too. When it comes to 9mm i'd rather have a Beretta 92FS but all in all I like the little gun and choose to carry it everyday. I may like it do to the fact the first one was my first pistol and i bought the new one (after selling my old one foolishly) cause I was familiar with it and it grew on me.

#16 ·
My first full size semi auto was the S&W Sigma in .40 cal.
Mainly I bought it because of the price but, after putting several 1000 rounds through it for practice and fun, it's a great pistol.
I'm another big guy, 6'4" and 265 lbs wearing XXL gloves and size 14, almost 15 boots and the Sigma I have fits my hand great. It has a natural point for me and it will spit out whatever ammo I feed it, including reloads, right into the area I am aiming at, at 35 yards all rounds are in a 4" circle.
I didn't like the heavy trigger pull at first but, I have become accustomed to it and have no troubles with it. I'm not fond of the plastic guide rod but, that can be replaced fairly easily, my son is a mechanical engineer with fabrication experience and I can fabricate as well.
I liked the Sigma so much, mainly because it's an S&W, I bought an M&P Compact in .40 cal. also.

#17 ·
I have one that I bought new because the price was right,pistol,2 16rd mags,$300 out the door. I have put about 1000rds thru it and never had a problem. The trigger pull is slightly heaver than some others but it doesnt bother me. I carry it every day CCW and shoot at lest once a week. As I said I have never had even one FF or Stove-pipe and have run everything from HP to FMJ and reloads.

Rex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.