Survivalist Forum banner

Squirrel Calls

17K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Buck-Ridge 
#1 ·
Do you use them? Do they work? Who makes the best one? After reading the thread about hunting them I was just curious. I watched a few youtube vids on them. I kinda looks fun. i grew up eating squirrel cooked just about anyway momma could think of. Now I'm kinda getting a craving for some squirrel and dumplings. Feel free to throw in your recipes as well.

#2 ·
My grandfather used to have a caller that was a black tube about four inches long. You held it in one hand and made a clapping motion to create a sound much like a squirrel barking. With a bit of practice you could get pretty good with it. And it worked for him too as usually after a couple calls, at least one squirrel would poke his head out from somewhere and wind up in the freezer.

I myself have never used one, but I have on occasion resorted to making my own call (I can't really explain how I do it but it sounds pretty close to real). This actually works about 3/4 of the time. The place I do most of my hunting is crawling with squirrels but they are wild as all get out and now and then I get tired trying to wait one out, so I use the call.

#3 ·
I've hunted for a long time, but I guess I'm old school, because I never knew you could buy a squirrel call. I just make the sound myself. It's a great trick to pull in a city park, those little guys aren't afraid of people at all and come running. Friends think it's funny.

#4 ·
I had one a long while ago and it kind of worked. Mine was one like the Haydel's SW92 MR Squirrel whistle. I have also seen an old magazine article where someone made one out of a bottle cap with a hole drilled in the middle.

The best squirrel hunting method I've ever heard of was a squirrel dog. The dog barks up the tree at the squirrel and you manuver around to the other side while the dog is holding the squirrels attention and you've got a clear shot at one that would normally be hiding on the backside of the tree from you.

#10 ·
the little squeakers from inside of dog toys work great. You can buy a cheapo toy for like $1 at a discount store. The squeakers inside are like plastic bulbs.
just cut it out. Youd be surprised the squeals and chatter you can make with it.
Squirrels here can't help but freeze and look around when I use it.

#15 ·
I can say I have never eaten squirrel to my knowledge, not that I am against trying it though. Are all squirrels edible? This being a ground squirrel, has never shown any real human fear since it showed up here at work a few months ago and it is constantly fed seeds and nuts. The plant has named it Rosko, and it will literally follow you around outside.

#16 ·
I don't think there is a single mammal that you can't eat....not wanting to eat is another story.

Don't think you'll get much favor in killing the plant pet, had that happen at a sawmill I worked at 30 years ago. That's not hunting, nor is it sport. That thing now qualify's as a Pet.

If you want to go out and hunt, sure get a call....but if you feel you need to "sneak" up on the company mascot, and smash its brain's in....I think you may just need some therapy.

If the boss is asking you to remove it for company hygienic reasons, then get it done.

#18 ·
I don't think there is a single mammal that you can't eat....not wanting to eat is another story.

Don't think you'll get much favor in killing the plant pet, had that happen at a sawmill I worked at 30 years ago. That's not hunting, nor is it sport. That thing now qualify's as a Pet.
Thats me feeding it a few days ago, its fed last years failed LTS dehydrated peas and corn, as well as sunflower seeds.
If you want to go out and hunt, sure get a call....but if you feel you need to "sneak" up on the company mascot, and smash its brain's in....I think you may just need some therapy.
Now where did that come from, I dont once think I infered I was going to "smash its brains in". If I had a NEED to eat a squirrel it would not have lasted the months of being here as I stated in my post. If I had a NEED to eat a squirrel I would take it any way I could. I also think my therapy requirements may be a bit below yours.
If the boss is asking you to remove it for company hygienic reasons, then get it done.
The boss is the one that named it

#17 ·
I used to pucker up and make a high pitched sucking , squeaking noise .
Squirrels are naturally curios and social ( with other squirrels ) .
Once a squirrel would start making alarm calls at me , I would squeak back at them and peak ther curiosity .
Not only would they come to my side of the tree , but theyre curiosity would bring them down the tre closer to me .
I once called one to about ten feet of my pellet gun barrel .

#19 ·
Ah! Sorry! Misunderstood, and you might be right about the therapy....hehe.

We had a pet marmot at a mill I worked at years ago, somebody killed it and hung it over the entryway door with a noose. Course whoever did it wouldn't fess up.

In a survival situation, I'd eat them too.

#22 ·
Squirrels are curious, to a point. If you have a good place to hunt for them, you can use a call to locate squirrels. You walk in phases. Maybe forty yards, stop and call. No response- walk another forty. The idea is to get a squirrel to reveal himself by calling back, or by chattering and swishing his tail. These calls are not made to get the squirrel to crawl out of his hole and make his way to you. Just to get him to expose himself.

As far as the dog toy squeaker.....try it. I have seen squirrels that were in a full tilt panic and they let out little squeaks. The squeaks were sharp, like a dog toy, but not very loud. Seemed like the adult squirrels were coming from all directions to get to the babies.

Amazon has a selection of bellows type calls. They make more than one sound which increases your odds. My favorite recipe is to make chicken pot pie, only substitute squirrel for the chicken.

#23 ·
Since you all seem to be experienced squirrel hunters - got any ideas of getting or keeping them out of my Pecan trees? I don't mind sharing some, but last year I got NO edible pecans because the squirrels got them all first :(

I've got a shot gun and a .38 - I think I know enough to use the shot gun - but what kind of shells should I use?

Be kind, I am not by nature a hunter :) I am making exceptions for these da@@ squirels. (also the rule on my farm is "you kill it - you eat it" so any squirrel recipies to share?)

#26 ·
Set-up a bird feeder nearby. Make sure it's the kind with a post in the ground and with a baffle. If it hangs from the tree or is unbaffled, they'll completely clean it out in short order like your pecan. Use a .22 and practice your head shots as they feed on the scattered seed. And just gradually start thinning them out. If you see a handful around the feeder, then multiply that by about 6-8. That's how many you probably have in the area. The bastards can become a real nuisance if you don't keep their numbers down. For me they were robbing my fruit trees. Not this year.

#24 ·
Old timer taught me this one. Only cost you 10 cents. Go into woods where squirrels are present. Sit down, wait for things to calm down. Take two nickels and rubbed them together between your thumb and pointer finger, It simulates them chewing on nuts. Before you know it they'll be all around.

#27 ·
Get to were you think there are squirrels then lay a quarter in the palm of your hand and take another quarter and click it kinda loud/hard a few times to attract/bring out the squirrels. It has worked for me for years! the idea is that the squirrels know your there but they forget real quick so when you wait a lil while then click the quarters together they think other squirrels are eating nuts and its ok for them to do it too...

#28 ·
I can mimic a squirrel barking well enough with my mouth to get them to bark. Once I hear where they are I know which direction to slip through the woods looking for them. Haydels does make a call that does this It is a clear tube with a rubber bellows on it that mimics a squirrel bark.
There is also the Mr squirrel whistle. Like someone else said it mimics a baby squirrel in distress. I tried it several times and it only worked once. It was the best squirrel hunt of my life. I had been hunting a couple of hours and hadn't killed any squirrels so I tried it out of desperation. By the way the way you use it is to put the disc on your lips and suck through the hole quickly a few times. Back to my story I did this and a squirrel ran down a limb toward me barking violently. I shot it with my 12 guage and at the shot other ones started doing the same and they kept barking as I walked toward them and shot. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. I kept walking and shooting by the time I walked to the fallen squirrels there would be another to shoot. I was excited and when I counted I had killed 11 and it all happened in about 10 minutes and 100 to 150 yard walk.
I never had it work like that again and since have lost my Mr. Squirrel whistle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.