Survivalist Forum banner

Sighting in the muzzleloader.

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tictactowing 
#1 ·
I just recently got a cva wolf muzzle loader and a bushnell scope. I am new to muzzleloading so decided I would start off pretty basic and if I like it a lot then upgrade everything.

How do I sight int the scope without going through tons of ammo, cleaning measures, and the like?

Should I get a bore sighter and go in at 100 yards, or just shoot three groups into paper, aim in the center of the groups and click until the crosshairs are on the bullseye?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Sighting

On my hi-powers i set up with bags or gun cradle and fire one shot at the target at twenty five yards. I then(without reloading)resight at the target from the same position that i fired, then move the crosshairs to the bullet hole without moving the rifle( a clamping gun cradle seems to work good for this). Then fire for effect and if the scope is on I try it at 50yd. then 100yd;) ...good luck

#4 ·
Remove the breech plug. Lay the muzzleloader on a bag or pillow. Line it up with something 50 yards away by looking down the open barrel. Make sure your looking right down it, the shadow of the barrel is even on all sides. Take a peep on the scope without distrubing it, then adjust and check again. you can get it with in 2-3 inches before you even fire a round.

#5 ·
I'd say just go out and shoot it. You're going to need to fire at least a few rounds, and if you buy a quality scope it should be fairly close from the git go. Really, it shouldn't take too many shots to get it zeroed. If you have a target full of holes and still haven't gotten it sighted in properly, then something is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.