Votes: 45 36.0%
  • M1A

Votes: 77 61.6%
  • other

Votes: 4 3.2%

AR-15 or M1A

18K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  fragout 
#1 ·
I have enough to buy the AR right now, but If I go with the M1A I'll have to save for a little while. I'll be using this gun for hunting.

#3 ·
m1a has more punch and is made off a better action and if u want to hunt .308 is better for big game hunting .my grandpa used a rifle in ww2 on a garand action and so did my great uncle (m-14 ) if i ever get the loot together i would rather spend on m1a then a ar 15 if u are dead set in ur ways for a ar action get a ar10 in 308

#10 ·
I'd like to hear thoughts on this from those of you who feel qualified to respond. Drew brings up an excellent point that should be addressed, IMHO. AR's can be converted to .308 with an adapter kit, or so I've read. Ditto with other calibers. How would an AR converted to .308 stack up against the M1A?

Thanks.

#7 ·
We use our M1A's for hunting hog and deer exclusively, with, and without optics. The platform itself has proven to me that it can be very forgiving in unforgiving circumstances, and has the capability of delivering great accuracy, especially for hunting. Some states dont allow the use of 5.56mm/223 chambered weapons for deer hunting use... so check out your state's requirements, but if you ever get the urge to hunt bigger game such as elk, then a 308 would legally be up to the task. In a SHTF type thing, I wouldnt hesitate using FMJ mil surp for hunting either. In my state, it is legal to use this sort of ammo while hog hunting anyways, and does a good job of anchoring a hog, provided that I do my part.

Recomendations for the M1A are as follows, and just my .02........

1. I stray away from using any 308 ammunition marked as "lightmagnum", and I dont shoot anything bigger than 175gr bullets thru the M1A. IMO, op-rods are expensive, and it aint worth the risk.;) Correct shot placement is more important to me than 150gr vs 180gr, so I figure that if I cant get it done with 150/168gr.... then using 180gr wouldnt matter much in the end regardless.:thumb:
2. I would stick with a "rack grade/std" model, or a "scout/tanker" for hunting, (and pretty much anything else short of highpower comp.)Unless you come across a used M1A, or go with a hvy bbl type, tou will most likely end up with a non-chrome lined 1-11 twist std contour bbl. From my expierience with this bbl, it produces decent accuracy for hunting purposes, and is capable of utilizing some of the more expensive commercial hunting loads without issue...as compared to FMJ milsurp prices.
3. It fires a fairly common cartridge. Common enough to find it most anywheres, but to be honest, if I was payin the bucks to go on a outa state elk hunt, I would make it a point to take enough ammo with me from the get-go. The chosen load for such a hunt would be documented, and put in the ole huntin pack.
4. Stick with good quality mags from the outset. 20rd USGI mags may not be legal to hunt with in your state, but CMI makes reliable 5/10rd mags for hunting.
5. OPTICS : From my expierience, it is importent to go with a good quality mount such as ARMS, Sadlak, or SEI. The SAI mounts always seem to shoot loose sooner or later...for me anyways...

11B

#9 ·
I have both ARs and M1As, if I had the choice of only one I would take the M1A every time.
The AR is a decent platform IMHO but it has some drawbacks. The caliber is a little weak for hunting a lot of North American game, the gas system is less than ideal, etc. It has some great features as well, for example, its possible to change mags without removing the right hand from the firing position, the ergonomics are pretty good, they are very adaptable, quality mags and spare parts are cheap, they are modular enough that any dummy can build one with a basic tool set, and so on.

All that said IMHO the M1A is in a class that the AR could never hope to join. The are very rugged, reliable, powerful, and accurate. The standard triggers and sights are excellent, thank you Mr. Garand, and its a simple design. What else is there?

#18 ·
I have both the AR15 and M1A, if I had the choice of only one I would take the M1A for Hunting. The M1A is a HEAVY beast compared to the AR15. I rarly shoot my M1A just for fun, while I will take my AR15 out all the time (the AR15 is one of my most favoriat rifles to shoot). The thing you need to use to determine what gun you should buy would be what you intend to use it for. If it is for hunting I would go with the .308/M1A. You can get different weight of bullets(150 grain for deer, 180 grain for elk, etc.) for the different animals you will be hunting. With that being said, I also have an Armalight AR10. I would use this over the M1A because of the wight. I love the M1A and it is more accurate than my AR10 , or AR15; but I do not use it much due to the weight. If I were you I would also consider the AR10. This also happens to be the gun I would reccomend to you (I know that is not one of you choices), it is cheaper than the M1A and costs a little more than the AR15. Hope this helps.

#21 ·
AR-15 can be carried all day all night at the ready, no problem. March with it in your hands and it not problem. 16 in version is easily concealed under a jacket.

M-1a is just too heavy to be able to carry without an issue. It will end up on your shoulder. Forget about concealment. If you don't mind being the designated stragler, its ok.

#23 ·
Seeing as how it appears nobody is answering your question, I will give you my opinion.

For your hunting needs, go with the m1. I do believe thats it's chambered in 30-06 and not .308

For your self defense/main battle rifle, then you can go with the ar-15.

If your wanting an ar, for use in both hunting and self defense/main battle rifle, go with an ar-10. That is chambered in 7.62 and can take the .308 round.

#27 · (Edited)
A simple way to compare the two rifles ? See if you can get your mitts on both examples, and head to the range.

This M1A Bush rifle weighs out at exactly 8.2 pounds with sling and without magazine.(My stripped down Socom weighs bout the same) I then took a current production CMI 20rd mag, topped it off with 20rds of WIN Q3130 147gr FMJ.....and it weighed out at exactly 1.5 pounds.
Put them together at exactly 9.7 pounds, and I have a very reliable and accurate semiautomatic rifle capable of delivering 20rds of 7.62x51mm wherever I decide they should go, out to the limits that I can accurately put them on target, which is more important to me than any weight savings that an AR would achieve. Others milage may vary for thier paticular purposes, terrain, physical stamina, existing medical conditions, etc......
In a nutshell....... I'm comfortable with humpin a 9.7 pound rifle all over gods creation...;)
Note: Most states dont allow the use of a 20rd mag for hunting. If saving every ounce possible is just the ticket for you, then the use of a 5rd mag is a weight saving bonus. Another area to shave some ounces off an M14 is the butt plate. Do away with it altogether, and install a thin rubber buttpad in it's place, for example. A lightweight sling should shave an ounce or 2 off in place of the std sling. I have also found that not all synthetic USGI stocks weigh the same, but have heard that the current synthetic stocks produced by SAI are very light, even when compared to USGI synthetics.
The last two non essential pieces of metal that I can think of off the top of my head would be the removal of the stripper clip guide with it's roll pin, and "shaving off" the flash hider just forward of the castle nut. Both of these ideas would make an M14 look down right ugly in my opinion, but some ounces would be shaved off the top without sacrificing reliability and safety.
The most important thing IMHO has nothing to do directly with either rifle, but more to do with the person toting it along. Physical endurance is what I'm a thinkin. It's alot easier to type about it then actually doing it..if ya know what I'm gettin at here...:thumb: Example: A body thats in very good health, in prime physical condition, and is highly motivated will "out hump" the body on the oppisite end of the spectrum, and he can do it while humpin a crew served link fed machine gun, while the other guy is strugglin along with an M4. I see this quite a bit at work.

Anywhooo.......Just some food for thought at the very least.

EDIT: remove the std sling swivels, and replace with some sling swivel studs, but this might be more of a hassel than what it;s worth.

11B

#29 ·
Strictly from an ergonomics point of view, I give a big nod to the M1A. You can get the AR platform in a variety of calibers up to and including the .308, so you can hunt just about anything with them too. The best way to choose is to try them both out and see which fits you best. You're the one who will shoot it, so it has to fit you, not us. Most folks at the local range will let you try theirs out. If you can't do that, at least go to the gunshop and shoulder them to see which fits you best and feels most natural to you.

#30 ·
If I were you, I'd go with a 6.5 Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel gives you much, much better accuracy than the M-1A and for a longer distance too. It comes in the AR-15 format that pleases so many people with its ergonomics and weighs about as much as an AR-15 unloaded. The 6.5 Grendel shoots a better designed and heavier bullet than the .223/5.56 too. The bullet for the 6.5 Grendel weighs in at about 130 grains or more. Sort of like launching a spear instead of using a dot on something. It already has produced some really good hunting results, rifle competition results and as a sniper rifle too. I would look to the 6.5 Grendel as the modern approach to sniping and hunting needs.

#31 ·
The problem with the Grendel is availability and magazines. The 6.8 SPC has been more widely accepted and ammo and mags are a snap to find. The Grendel has better long range performance, but not enough to overcome the lack of market support for it.

#32 ·
Just to clarify. You cant hunt with an M1 Garand (if your state has a 5 round limit).

But as for the M1A vs AR 15 for hunting go for the M1A. But remember it isnt light. If you really want a rifle just for hunting go for a bolt action. They are much better for hunting (imo). Unless you are defending your self against a bear you only need one shot at a time.

#36 ·
Just to clarify. You can't hunt with an M1 Garand (if your state has a 5 round limit).
They do make 5 round clips for it.

But as for the M1A vs AR 15 for hunting go for the M1A. But remember it isnt light. If you really want a rifle just for hunting go for a bolt action. They are much better for hunting (imo). Unless you are defending your self against a bear you only need one shot at a time.
True, but it's nice to know that you're rifle of choice is capable of bringing down game in field conditions. Also, shooting at the range is NOT like shooting in the field or in a competition. Nothing like adrenaline coursing through your veins to test your marksmanship.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.