Survivalist Forum banner

2 have died of the Flu in the last 2 weeks here in Oklahoma

13K views 70 replies 29 participants last post by  12vman 
#1 ·
Posted: Updated: Jan 13, 2011 9:30 PM CST

Two people have died in Oklahoma from the flu. In the past 2 weeks the number of people being sent to the hospital has doubled.

Tulsa's flu rate is also starting to spike. 77 people were hospitalized in Oklahoma in the past 2 weeks. Seeing a spike in the flu in mid-January not exactly alarming news.

"What's even more concerning is that 50% of those hospitalizations are in children," says Melanie Christian with the Tulsa County Health Department.

That might have to do with the lack of flu shot sales. Last fall free flu shots for the masses were eliminated and the price tag went to $25 per stick of the needle.

"Most of the people that we are seeing treating in the have not gotten the flu shot that I have seen in the clinic myself," says Dr. Todd Hoffman with St. John Health System.

A lot of Tulsans we talked to have protected themselves, with some workplaces pitching in to pay the cost.

"They offered them free at my work, so I don't usually get it but I decided to go ahead and do it," says Stephanie Milosevich.

"We just take our shots and go through the process," says Patricia Harris.

Alex Har**** who works at Hillcrest Medical Center says her maternity floor has been flooded with the flu.

"It's been pretty packed with pregnancy females with the flu," says Har****.

"We had the stomach flu at our house over the Christmas weekend but not the flu-flu" says Dana Henson.

The 'flu-flu' is what doctors call Influenza A or B. That's what they test for in hospitals and in clinics. St. John doctor Todd Hoffman says in the past 10 days he's helped many patients coming in with influenza-like illnesses.

"We are seeing a lot more of the folks that may test negative for influenza but they have all the signs and symptoms of influenza," says Dr. Hoffman.

So it's exactly like the flu, just a different strain they don't test for. The flu doesn't normally peak until February, but it looks like Oklahomans may be getting a head start.

"Influenza is one of the most unpredictable viruses that we deal with and so it's really hard to tell if it's going to be a bad year or a good year," says Christian.

Doctors say H1N1 1 is not at the epidemic stage that is was last year. Dr. Hoffman says he hasn't seen a patient with H1N1 in several months.

It's still not too late to get your flu shot. If you get one now, it will protect you during February, when more cases are expected.

See less See more
#7 ·
Here's my flu story:

Never had the flu in my life...until I was 30. FWIW, I rarely get sick, whether it's a cold or anything else. The strain I caught was the A/Sydney. A close variant to the swine flu. I of course did not know this at the time. All I knew was I spent two and a half weeks bed ridden (couch actually) and truly didn't think I was going to make it. My fever kept spiking at 104-105. It would break at 103 or below and I'd just be drenched in sweat. Then start back up. Looking back now I should have been admitted to the hospital but when my wife took me to the emergency room the first time they said they had 18 people on gurneys in the hallway. They gave me antibiotics and sent me home. The antibiotics did nothing. Into the start of my second week I went back to the hospital. More antibiotics, and yet it still didn't break. Finally I was taken to my primary care doctor who gave me a newly released antibiotic that did finally break my fever for good.

After blood tests, and followups with my primary care doctor I had a lot of questions. The biggest was because I started having memory issues due to the prolonged fever. Blood tests over the next year revealed I had "fried my interal thermostat" as the doctor put it. I asked him if getting a flu shot would have made a difference. I asked because everyone was saying it was my own fault. He said with the strain I had it would have made little to no difference at all.

To this day I still don't get the flu shot, and at 45 I've only had the flu that one time. It did have long lasting effects but as my doctor said, it wouldn't have mattered if I had a shot or not with the strain that hit me.

#9 ·
Antibiotics would not have helped a viral flu one bit. It is only for bacterial.
And unless the flu vaccine was for A/Sydney strain, it would not have helped.

I actually wonder how many of those flu cases in OK already had the flu shot also... they never tend to mention that part in any articles you ever read about flu related deaths.

#8 ·
Two people dying of the flu in a state is not many at all, no matter the time of year. I can remember having flu once, it put me down on the floor in front of the fire and apart from going to the toilet a couple of times and getting drinks, I did not move much at all.

Would never have the flu jab and no antibiotic will do anything what-so-ever for the flu. Sure if you have got run down so much you have got pneumonia or some other chest infection, kidney infection and so on they would be what is needed, but for flu, do nothing at all.

#11 ·
Is there a type that take jabs? In that case I'm not the type and I still do. I didn't take the untested Pandemrix shot (swine flu), while people lined up for hours to get it (just the lines put me off, what a great chance getting infected... plus untested vaccine with a no-sue tag attached).

But I DO take the annual flu jab which I wouldn't do if I wasn't all healthy and could take a case of the flu with ease. If you can, I don't understand taking the jab. But if I don't have it, I get the flu almost 100 % of the time (missed one year the last unvaxxed 10 years or so)... OK thats 90 %... so lets go with that (My math skills are amazing.... ).

When I get flu I spike really bad fevers and I always get bronchitis after, or in one case, pneumonia. Fever is not bad, it is helping you I hear, but try having 105-106 F for 10 days straight, basically just vaguely responding to any meds.

I know the flu shot isn't perfect, but I'll take my chances. Does that make me "the type"? Tha baa baa-ing creature we love to hate?

#14 ·
My neighbors are down with the flu. I am not though I did experience some pre symptoms. Luckily I go my annual flu shot and I expect that is why I did not come down with the full blown sickness.

People seem to not realize that even if you are vaccinated it does not mean the virus will not try to attack. It just means that you immune system has already worked out a protection scheme against it. Couple that with many other diseases running around like the Cold virus and Whooping cough plus bacterial, mold and what not, it is a bit hard to know if you have the flu or something else.

Vaccinations are no guarantee of health. However no vaccinations are not either. It is about risk management. I rather get the vaccine and not need it than not get the vaccine and die.

#15 ·
I just now got over the flu. It lasted about 12 days. I did not get a flu shot this year. My main concern was not giving it to my grandchildren and my Father who has health problems. From what I understand there is not much the doctors can do for it. Treated myself with herbs and over the counter meds. I live in Texas and from the reports it is spreading here.

#18 ·
1st off I'd like to say that the CDC in the history of Flu shots has NEVER guessed correctly and gave the supposed correct vaccine strain.
2nd all these strains are just the Governments creations anyhow just like AIDS, and many vaccines they say we need are nothing but poison to weaken us for the other ways they want to try and slowly kill us. i.e. flouride in water,chemicals in all preserved food,the chemicals they are spraying across our skies . It's all part of their master plan to eliminate at least half the population.

#22 ·
Working great! The Welfare class reproduction rate has dropped to a all time low. Meanwhile the productive intelligent health food conscious folks are having kids like rabbits.

Distilled water? Really? I've not seen studies showing distilled water skewing PET/CT results for malignant tumors. The flu shot does.

http://journals.lww.com/nuclearmed/...and_Intensity_of_F_18_FDG_Uptake_After.2.aspx
Do you understand the use of hyperbole? Since my statement was a conditional one ( it started with if) your response that a person responds to the flu shot has no meaning. People respond to the flu virus. Dead or alive.

#20 ·
I don't go to doctors anymore. Haven't stepped foot in a medical center for over 5 years. I noticed the less I go to them, the less I get sick.

People around me get sick, and I don't seem to ever catch anything. Maybe its because my immune system is getting stronger, maybe its because everyone else is getting weaker. I'm not a scientist, couldn't tell ya.

#61 ·
I don't go to doctors anymore. Haven't stepped foot in a medical center for over 5 years. I noticed the less I go to them, the less I get sick.
I worked with a woman who went to the doctor every time she had a hangnail. One year she told me about how she had to see seven doctors before she found one that would treat her dry skin she had in the winter. I asked her why she didn't just use hand lotion and she was shocked that I would self medicate myself that way. Anyway, almost everytime she went to the doctor or hospital for something I would call minor, she came down with some cold, flu or infection.

I don't get sick as much as most people do either and I often think it is because I don't run to the doctor for every little thing. Maybe it's because I live way out in the country and viruses like cities. Or maybe it's because if I get sick I still have to take care of the homestead so I simply refuse to get sick. People who have time for that drama can get laid low, I am waaayyy too busy. Who knows, I'll probably go with the first choice.:)

#25 ·
Posted: Updated: Jan 13, 2011 9:30 PM CST

Two people have died in Oklahoma from the flu. In the past 2 weeks the number of people being sent to the hospital has doubled.
2? You have a better chance of hitting the Big Prize in the State Lottery than dying of the Flu.

Your MD's antibiotics kill only about six strains of bacteria and zero viruses while colloidal silver kills over 650 in 6 minutes tops. Keep your poisoned vaccines. There are better ways to stay healthy.

#27 ·
Despite the tone of the article, we are looking at what appears to be relatively low to moderate mortality so far, despite being a more deadly strain (H3N2 killls 2.7 times as many as the two other types), a moderately severe outbreak, and an early hitting one. There are some indications it may already be past its peak. It is still early and some deaths might not have been tabulated.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

#29 ·
Carefully dispose of that Mercury containing CFL Bulb but inject yourself and loved ones with 250X the EPA Safety Limit For Mercury to prevent Flu?
Over a 10 year period, it is possible to exceed the limit by 2500 times simply by receiving a yearly flu shot.
http://healthfreedoms.org/2011/10/10/flu-shots-have-more-than-250x-epa-mercury-safety-limit/

Vaccines weaken the immune system'

http://www.naturalnews.com/038583_vaccines_RSV_immune_system.html

Innate Immune Dysfunction is Associated with Enhanced Disease Severity in Infants with Respiratory Syncytial Virus Bronchiolitis. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2012
Cynthia Cournoyer, 'What About Immunizations?', Dennis Nelson Publishers, 1991
http://www.naturalnews.com/035871_vaccination_immunization_myths.html

Study: 97 percent of children affected by 2009 mumps outbreak were vaccinated for condition

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038583_vaccines_RSV_immune_system.html#ixzz2HKP1zI8F

#34 ·
I eat healthy and exercise. I also get a flu shot. I notice a few very light flu-like symptoms; upset stomach, fever, etc but it goes away after about 4 hours after getting the shot. Since 1999, I haven't had the flu. I'm convinced diet, exercise, and multivitamins (and whey protein) does just as much for your immune system if not more than anything that comes in the form of a shot.

#35 ·
I'm sitting here dying of the flue as I read this post Went to the doctor today and got some Tamraflu meds and something for cough First thing the doctor asked me was if I had been given a flu shot and then told me that just about everyone who had a flu shot has been sick this year I've never had a flu shot and will be staying away from one

#37 ·
Ever since I got serious about washing my hands when I think I need to, I have not been sick. I wash before I eat religiously. And most important, I stopped touching anything in a public restroom when I exit after I wash. I open the door with a towel and discard it.

I've been healthy for fifteen years or more. No flu. No shots. Knock on wood.

And stop touching your face! ;)

#40 ·
This is a bad flu year. Flu vaccinations are down and with Novartis off the market they aren't as plentiful.

The mild flulike symptoms a very small number of people experience is NOT a mild case of the flu. It is an immune system response to the contents of the flu shot. The body spools up the immune system and starts cranking out cytokines and inflammatory factors to make war upon the invaders. If it were a genuine case of influenza then mild or not you'd be just as contagious. The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot and you cannot give it to someone else.

The flu shot is not 100% effective. Nothing is 100% effective. It depends on the age and condition of the recipient and the succeptability of the particular strain. It depends on vaccine manufacturers predicting months in advance which strains will be prevalent. And of course there are a number of diseases that mimic influenza's symptoms leading to false reports of infection. On the other hand numerous studies have shown greatly reduced influenza caused absenteeism in schools and workplaces among people who have had the vaccination as well as greatly reduced mortality in older people.

OTOH there is that one in a million chance of a severe allergic reaction. Nothing is 100% safe, either, so don't get the vaccine if you have an egg allergy. A few dozen severe reactions vrs. 40,000+ influenza fatalities annually. The math isn't so difficult to do.

The very young, the very old and the immunocompromised do not benefit from flu shots like the rest of us. Their immune systems are incapable of spooling up to the degree needed to confer immunity. So when you decide to 'tough it out" during flu season you put these people at greater risk every time you interact with them. Your infection may just leave you in misery for a week but can kill a baby or the granny who kindly brought you some chicken soup or the lady behind the checkout stand going thru chemo. So stop freeloading and get yourself a flu shot.

#41 ·
So many medical cowboys in this thread. For a survivalist forum, it's shocking how misinformed many people are regarding the flu vaccine. I hope the know it alls continue to enjoy good health via their anecdotal evidence. Science has other evidence that's just a bit more verifiable and convincing.

I laugh every time someone complains about "big pharma." Lmao. Research how many NEW drugs have been released in the past 10 years and why the number is so low (especially for antibiotics). Get your heads out of the sand peeps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.