Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Long lasting footwear?

39K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  MPBadge27 
#1 ·
Thinking about long term survival I started wondering what the longest lasting footwear I could get would be. Cowboy boots came to mind first. I've had a pair for over 8 years, worn them frequently, and they're still doing fine. Also, if they ever needed repair I believe I could do that at home.

Hiking boots or military style boots are better for traveling in terms of comfort. But I think that in the long run, the cowboy boots would outlast them under the same stress.

What do you all think about long lasting footwear? Are there better shoes or boots, in terms of longevity under heavy use, than cowboy boots.

#2 ·
To me, "cowboy boots" is just a style of boot. Whether it last 6 months or 16 years depends on how it was constructed.

I think Red Wing makes some of the most durable boots available and they come in a variety of styles.

For hiking, I had a pair of Vasque Sundowners that I wore for 8-9 years. Could have been resoled but I bought a new pair instead. Really well constructed.

#3 ·
I have two pairs of Hi-teks, one a Trailrunning/Everyday Pair, I wear while fishing and whatnot. The other pair is a light hiking boot that I've waterproofed, its super comfortable and the "Carbon Rubber" soles, DO NOT wear. I wear usually, I converted to boots about a year ago, from skateboarding shoes (Big difference.. <.<) I've always found The brand "Hi-tec" to be a very good company. However the downfall of theese boots, is that they are made in communist China (EVILLL!) Hi-tecs, have been very good to me, and sell at a fair price, all models under 100$. I had a pair of Hi-teks that lasted for two years perfectly, no tread wear, waterproof, strong laces. However, I had to buy a new pair because they caught on fire whilst Survival camping, hehe. I had to hike out with one foot bare in the dead of winter. XD However, with whatever style of boot you decide to get, I suggest "Carbon Rubber" As this is a very soft, and VERY resilliant rubber, My tread did not wear throughout the whole two years I had those boots, and I wore them EVERYDAY, except when I went to bmx, than I'd put on my Skatboarding shoes... :p

#8 ·
I've had a couple of pair of Doc Martens (last pair was bought before they switched to Chinese manufacture, will never buy again, a shame) over the last 2 decades and they do wear well. The weak link seems to be the soles. It's made of relatively soft rubber (good for cushioning) which is ground away pretty efficiently on concrete. I reckon that if worn on natural terrain they would last alot longer. They are also difficult to waterproof. No lining to eat away at though.

#9 ·
I think Red Wing makes some of the most durable boots available and they come in a variety of styles.

I grew up in Red Wing Minnesota. The boots are good. I bought a couple of pairs over the years and have tried cheaper boots over the years, but the Red Wings lasted twice as long. My next pair, I think I'll go back to them for work boots. For hunting, I use canvas cammo boots from brahma or rocky.

#13 ·
I have a pair of those and have had good wear so far, only had them about a year and don't wear them everyday (weekends only).

Over the years I've had a few pairs of Tim's and have had very good results with them. Only thing I have ever found is that they run small. I've always had to go 1/2 size larger.

#12 ·
I'm going to go way out into Left Field with this one. But then again, don't I always?

Consider post SHTF, what Mexican Indians do...The make sandals from old tires.

Website.

So, do your shoes have a 50,000 mile warranty?

#14 ·
WESCOS!

I Have had a single pair of wescos for nearly 10 years, I don't use them everyday anymore but did for about 4 year. In that time they were my only pair of shoes. I have had Red Wings last a long time, but not like the wescos.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/

#17 ·
I like to go barefoot A LOT in the summer around the house and up at the cabin. Kinda gets your feet weathered and "used" to the ground. Easier to adapt if need be. Feet like to breathe. No need to have them all covered up if you can get buy, just don't step on anything! I've gotten to were I can run across rocks and tolerate it, if I want to... :D

#18 ·
"To me, "cowboy boots" is just a style of boot. Whether it last 6 months or 16 years depends on how it was constructed."

I'm going to disagree on this point and point to the construction difference between John Wayne type cowboy boots and most shoes and boots made today. Cowboy boots have a wooden heel and leather soles. (I know that some brands of these boots today deviate from this and I'd not buy them for that reason) Most modern shoes and boots have rubber soles as seen with sneakers, hiking boots, and combat boots. The heels are a part of the sole and hence also rubber.

Way back when a lot of people wore traditional cowboy boots. I'd think they wore them because they lasted longer than lighter footwear during a time when most folks walked just about everytime they went somewhere. I'll also point out that ladies boots were made much the same way and with the same materials. My grandmother had a pair she used to wear when she was little, with quite a few miles on them, and they were still perfectly serviceable 40 years later if you could find someone who wore that size. The only difference I saw was that hers were lace up rather than slip on and more stylish than regular cowboy boots.

The reason I thought of cowboy boots first for longevity was that the materials they are constructed from seem to last a long time or a lot of miles without wearing out. I'd think it would take quite a few miles to wear down a wooden heel or go through that thick leather sole. And I believe it would be easier to replace a wooden heel or a leather sole on your own than to make new rubber soles for replacement on hiking boots, combat boots, or sneakers. I know I don't know how to make rubber soles at home for modern footwear.

"I'm going to go way out into Left Field with this one. But then again, don't I always?

Consider post SHTF, what Mexican Indians do...The make sandals from old tires.

Website.

So, do your shoes have a 50,000 mile warranty?"

Lasercool, your suggestion was exactly what I was talking about when I posted this thread. I have seen those sandals before but I didn't think of them when I first posted this. Those sandals would be a perfect example of practical footwear post shtf or eotwawki, IMHO. And best of all they can be made at home, which puts them over on cowboy boots or any other type of shoe I can think of if you consider the ease of manufacture AND longevity.

#19 ·
I was a lineman for 10 years and have been in the welding supply business for nearly 20 years now. In that time, I have had the opportunity to try at least 100 (if not more) brands and styles of boots and shoes. Like you, I have a pair of cowboy boots that have lasted and lasted. However, I wouldn't want to use them on a mountain hike. I was not satisfied with Doc Marten, I'm 50/50 on Sketchers, I still have a pair of Wesco lineman boots that I purchased in the early 80s. Have had them re-soled twice. They are long lasting but not very comfortable. I hate Red Wing. They are long lasting but have never had a pair I would consider comfortable. The most comfortable pair of boots I have owned and still use is a pair of Rocky's with a square, steel toe. However, if I planned on doing a lot of mountain or trail hiking, I would have to go with my Merrell waterproof "Continuum" hiking shoes. Lightweight, waterproof, ultra comfortable, well made, Gortex lining for breathablility, and nice looking.

#21 ·
I have Meindl IBEX boots - I paid about $160. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. I've tried colorado, timberland, mountain gear and many others. I have had them for about two hard years now, from the woodlands to the concrete jungle, and they are as comfortable as my slippers I wear around the house. I will be getting another pair just for backup in case they no longer sell them. :)

#32 ·
Agreed. I prefer bare feet. I can walk outside on pebbles and prickly grass without a problem.

The only thing that would worry me about doing it all the time is the potential for catching parasites and other nasties through your feet. I would probably go with simple leather moccasins- they are the healthiest for yoru feet because your feet can move naturally.

#24 ·
I use Lowa hikers for long treks or Merrells for desert

#27 ·
I love my Altama combat boots. I bought them new in 97 and they are still going strong. I had them resoled with Vibram soles and had athletic insoles put in to make them super comfortable. They shine up like new and look great. When I am out working I wear my vintage 76 combat boots. They are in amazing condition and look great even with a suit and tie. I won't wear anything else. My advice to anyone with combat boots that aren't designed specifically to be resoled, have them modified to allow them to be resoled and consider buying a spare set of soles to have on hand just in case. I keep spare soles for my Altamas that have already been shaped down to the right size and shape so that when the time comes all I have to do is remove the old soles and attach the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.