Survivalist Forum banner

WASR 10, worth it?

12K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Gunther 
#1 ·
hey everyone,
I know a lot of you probably own a WASR or other AK 47 and was wondering if you think it is worth it or whether to spend a little more on something else. I have watched Kev's video (about 10 time haha) and im not too worried about a little mag wobble, i just want a tough as nails rifle that will get dirty and still shoot what i point it at.
If its not worth it, what would be?
If so, gun show? mom 'n pop gun store? online?
thanks everyone
Kid_M

#2 ·
I have a WASR and I love it. I don't worry about it getting scratched up or anything. Mine runs great. I would look out for the canted front sight, and you can find one without much mag wobble. I also have a Norinco AK but I try not to beat it up too much.

#3 ·
For the price, the WASR-10 is a perfect take out on a hog hunt, drop in the mud, strap to a 4-wheeler, in the back of the truck, behind the seat of a truck, in the rain, sleet, dust covered, shoot anything rifle.

If you buy one, inspect it very closely. Some WASR-10's are good, some aint so good.

I think classic arms has the basic model for less then $300???

#4 ·
When your looking at one, ask the owner if you can inspect the inside. Have them open it up so you can look at the gas piston where it attaches and make sure it isnt cracked, and if it is, make sure it isnt really bad. I bought mine and it was cracked, but it works and still works, but if you shoot it a lot it can cause problems. But they are very good guns, not super accurate, but they get the job done if your hunting like Kev said or if you just want something for home protection.

#8 ·
AND

Got three and like them all. I think they are a great value in todays market. Better get one before the next elections over or you may not be able to.
thats the plan!!!
RevPaul:
I dont know if I have the cash to buy two right now. my other money will be going to extra mags, ammo and possibly a 10/22 and/or 590 (the deadliest weapons i own right now are my own two hands, so i need one or two other options...)

Does anyone have any other advice as far as what to look for WHEN (not if) I buy one? Kev mentioned (in his vid) to look for canting of the front sight and the severity of the mag wobble and lojafan said to look at where the gas piston attaches, any additions?
thanks! I really hope some day ill be able to contribute half as much that everyone has been able to contribute to me with all of my newb questions. thanks again everyone,
Kid_M

#7 ·
Buy two, put the extra one back for the future.
Shoot the H out of the first one, learn it's problems, and correct them on your put back rifle.
Buy lots of ammo, and put back half of all you purchase.
Not a fine wetherby, but a good, solid, reliable rifle for the money.
I usually recommend higher quality, but for what a Bulgy cost, you can buy two of these.

#9 ·
Really, I'd recommend getting a Yugoslavian M70 instead. They have dimples in the receiver to keep the magazine stable, the gun is made of heavier gauge metals, the cheek weld is better I find, and the problems generally associate with WASR's like canted sights are hard to come by in a Yugo.

I think they run AT THE MOST $100 more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.