Survivalist Forum banner

Show me your bugout vehicle

378K views 683 replies 299 participants last post by  Mr4btTahoe 
#1 ·
Here is a photo of one of our bug out vehicles. It is a 1999 TJ. The other vehicle is a 1979 Dodge Ramcharger. The bumpers on that Dodge Ramcharger are 1/2" rolled steel weighing about 300 Ib. each.

The Jeep TJ has a Stealth Cobra CB, ICOM transceiver, Bearcat Scanner, Panasonic Toughbook laptop (Nav, maps, internet etc..) and a military compass just in case the high tech stuff lets us down :) (old school rocks)

See less See more
#537 ·
No pictures of mine on the work computer but I have a 2000 F-250 diesel with tool box and bed behind the seat, set up for dogs and all gear. It's not any flashier than any other vehicle out there and is normal for Wyoming - it's not obvious. Granted, I will mostly be bugging in (own a small ranch) but since it is close to the interstate it might be necessary to leave if troops come through in which case I am ready to load up the cattle and horses and flee to the mountains for a month. Horse trailer is ready to leave with all supplies - again, just a stock trailer and nothing fancy.

#538 ·
Here is my 2000 F-150 Fx4 Offroad Package. It is a F-250 with a F-150 body, it has upgraded shocks, rear axle, 3 inch factory lift, 1/4 steel skid plates over the tank, t-case, and front diff. It can carry 7700 pounds in the bed and can tow much more. I was thinking about some offroad lights behind the grill but I don't know. any suggestions guys?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

#540 ·
Here is my 2000 F-150 Fx4 Offroad Package. It is a F-250 with a F-150 body, it has upgraded shocks, rear axle, 3 inch factory lift, 1/4 steel skid plates over the tank, t-case, and front diff. It can carry 7700 pounds in the bed and can tow much more. I was thinking about some offroad lights behind the grill but I don't know. any suggestions guys?

View attachment 70803
I think you are looking at the GVWR being 7700lbs on that pickup. Probably wieghs around 6000lbs so your more like 15-1700lbs in the bed.

#548 ·
Yes.

It is a '99 Beta Alp - a two stroke street legal (notice the license plate) trials bike. The Alps from years where they were based on an actual trials bike are kind of rare now, so when I saw one for sale I jumped on it.

You can get a trials bike with a larger gas tank - I think there are kits for the Beta Rev 3 models and then put some kind of real seat on them if you are like me and have to sit down from time to time (bad back) - not to mention that a cop will give you a ticket for riding standing up on the street (the permise is that it is unsafe - go figure - but I suppose for some people on a street bike it might be).

But - in many states you probably won't be able to get such a trials bike plated for being street legal. That may not seem like a big deal, but there are several reasons why it is an advantage:

1) In many areas, especially in federal forests and BLM land and such, the laws and regs (usually state laws/regs) mandate that motorcycles ridden on the forest service and logging roads be plated and street legal. Some states are changing their laws and regs a bit to make allowances, but still you will stand a much lower chance of getting hassled by the law (not to mention getting a ticket) if the bike is plated - or better yet, has all the accoutrements of a street legal bike (horn, light, etc.).

2) In a SHTF situation - especially one where it is not TEOTWAWKI, there will quite possibly be a period where you still have to at least appear to be legal with regards to license plate/etc., so during that time you will be less likely to be delayed during a bug out if the machine you are using is street legal.

The later Alps evolved into heavier 4 strokes and more of a crossover between a trail bike and a trials bike.

This particular Alp is too heavy to be competitive now - even when they made it the bike was based on an older obsolete version of their then current trials bike (IIRC).

I haven't ridden it yet, I haven't ridden in a while - been too busy with moving and the job and the new house/property, but I think it will be a fun little bike and good for practicing.

The Husaberg is a more than capable dirt bike, but it is larger and heavier and therefore harder to ride. The Beta will be good for practicing my technique (I suck at riding off-road).

I plan to get a snow bike kit for the Husaberg and some SM wheels/tires for the street. I sold my Ducati because I was riding the Husaberg so much off-road I never rode the Duc anymore, so while both of my current bikes are street legal, neither is really that good for street riding - especially the Beta.

The Husabergs do make a good SM bike so I think the SM wheels would be a good investment, but I just don't ride on the pavement much anymore, off-road is much more fun and challenging.

#563 ·
I have just begun the process of purchasing my bug out vehicles.
I have modification plans for all of them but I will save that for when I actually get there.
I have been working on a main rig and triple redundant back up plans for all sorts of situations.
First off is the Land Rover Discovery 2.

These are pretty capable off road should I have to take an alternate route.

2 days after I purchased the Disco I bought a 4x8 trailer to haul any extra supplies as well as a trio of backup rides.

Those back up rides are as follows:
I have a pair of reconnaissance rides to slink around quietly looking for anything.
One for me and my wife.
Honda metropolitans

I modified the checkered one a bit just for fun

They only did about 38mph stock but with a couple mods they both do 45 and the green one should do a little over 50 once it is tuned properly.

Not really going to outrun cars or bullets but they are quiet and get about 100mpg and can outrun people.

My most recent purchase is for some more serious recon or when we have to bail on everything and get out to nowhere.
It can easily haul my wife and I and some gear once I get some bags and/or racks on it.
It will do highway speeds pretty easily and is capable of going way off road.
XR650L

The last rides on the list are just for one more level of backup.
They require no fuel and can haul enough to survive for a few days.
We won't get anywhere too fast but it may beat walking as long as there are some back roads to ride on.
My bike.

My wife's bike.
She has a couple of bags of her own and we can spread all our gear across the two bikes.

I have no real intentions of leaving my house but if I need to then we should be able to get pretty far and set up camp in the middle of nowhere if need be.

#594 ·
I have just begun the process of purchasing my bug out vehicles.

The last rides on the list are just for one more level of backup.
They require no fuel and can haul enough to survive for a few days.

We won't get anywhere too fast but it may beat walking as long as there are some back roads to ride on.
My bike.

My wife's bike.
She has a couple of bags of her own and we can spread all our gear across the two bikes.

I have no real intentions of leaving my house but if I need to then we should be able to get pretty far and set up camp in the middle of nowhere if need be.

A good strong bike with spares should be part of EVERYBODY'S plan.

The VC kept an ARMY in the field supplied using bikes for YEARS. Sometimes they would gang a pair of them together and push them along to carry even greater loads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.