Survivalist Forum banner

7.62 (.308) vs .5.56 (.223)

17K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Dutchmano1 
#1 ·
I used to be a firm believer in the 7.62 round over the 5.56 but have drifted the other way lately.
  1. Cost
  2. Accessibility
  3. weight
  4. Use of others in my family (wife and daughter)

I'm new on here and imagine this has been talked about.....any thoughts?

#2 ·
The issues that you point out are good ones. But one that should be talked about is that the two rounds are obviously different in size, weight and penetration abilities. So that automatically means that you have to adjust your tactics on when, how, why and where you use your round of choice. To some of us the idea of changing rounds means changing tactics would be obvious. But to other people the idea is NOT so blatant. So, what change issues would you consider when going from a bigger, heavier round to a smaller diameter, lighter weight round?

#12 ·
No,Your right, now I just got to get her to believe it. What re-coil pad you using on the ar? (It takes her awhile to warm up to new guns)
Honestly I'm not quite sure, I purchased a Mossberg 590A1 with collapsible M4-style buttstock and it came with one on it. It's probably a good 3/4'' of rubber, and just slips on around the end of the stock. When the woman wants to shoot the AR, I just transfer it over since it's the same stock.

I'm sure it's no different than this Tapco Intrafuse T6 Rubber Butt Pad: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

#9 ·
.308 is a better round for hunting. Surplus ammo is fairly inexpensive. if your target is hiding behind something 308 is better for shooting through cover. 308 is better at longer ranges which is why the army brought back the m14's in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The main reason why I went with 308 is because I am a hunter and I couldn't see buying a rifle just for target shooting, and the AK didn't have the accuracy that I was looking for.

I've been very happy with my decision. I like to think of the 308 as a 243 necked up to 30 caliber because 243 is an awesome cartridge as well.

#10 ·
I can get any of the extended family, to include grandkids and the ladies, to shoot an AR in 223/5.56. Starting with 22's and then showing them the mildness of that platform it is pretty easy, especially after they see the youngsters grinning after sending a magful of rounds downrange. The larger calibers not dso much. Even an AR10 is just a bit daunting to them.
I love the 7.62x39, but am finding the 223 has plenty of merit. I will always have something chambered in 308, but it doesn't have to be a primary arm.

#13 ·
AR15 = pretty much no recoil...this is coming from a 5'6, 115 pound female (me). Certainly no where near a 20 Ga shotgun...I'll let you know on the 308 in the next couple weeks, have one on the way. However, I do have a 30'06 and if it's around there, while it does have a kick it's fine with proper shooting. My answer...have both!

#14 ·
Get both, each one has their valid purposes. The .223 is good for varmints, and close range self-defense while the .308 is better for long range or medium sized game. Now if I could only have one then it would be the .308 soley because it is the more capable and versitile caliber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.