Survivalist Forum banner

How long should I run the sprinkler?

20K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  chipmunk 
#1 ·
I want my garden to be lush but I don't want to foolishly waste water, either. I am guessing that I should water about every three days over the summer. But, when the weather channel says that the watering need is high, how long do you think I should let the sprinkler run in a given area? How about when the weather channel says that the need is moderate? We have good water pressure. :confused:

#3 ·
fulminated is correct about methods other than sprinkler irrigation being more efficient. However, for various reasons, sprinkler is often the only option. One of the biggest mistakes gardeners in the South make is not watering deep enough. The average lawn-type impact sprinkler needs to run five or six hours in one spot to put down enough water for a crop like corn. I usually move my sprinklers so the watering pattern overlaps the previous setting by at least fifty-percent. Watering to soil capacity once a week is better than two or three shallow waterings per week.

#4 ·
...how long do you think I should let the sprinkler run in a given area?.... :confused:
That depends on how much exercise it needs.

But seriously, folks...I was always told to measure how much water is hitting the sprinkled area. Since different sprinklers on different pressures will deposit different amounts, you need to do this for each different type of sprinkler head you use. Just set a tuna fish can (empty of course) in the main sprinkler pattern and when it is full, turn off the water and relocate the sprinkler. As the can is about 1 inch deep, when its full, you will have watered the plants with 1 inch, which is roughly what is needed per week.

#6 ·
I went with soaker hoses to prevent waste. You can usually find them cheap at Lowe's, Walmart and such. You can even put them on a timer and have it water automatically for you. I made 4 zones, each with a timer. Each zone got plants with similar water requirements, so plants that don't need as much aren't being drowned, while plants that require more aren't being deprived. Mostly I did this because I was spending a lot of time out of town and not able to take care of the garden properly. That freed me up to weed and such when I was in town.

#9 ·
There are different models. Some models have an electrically operated valve that screws to the hose bibb (faucet) and the hose screws to the valve. The timer box has wires that run to the valve and also plugs into an outlet for power.
Another model has a box that connects to the bibb and the hose connects to the box. They all work the same basically.
You hook it all up, set the On and Off times, turn the water valve to open and go to bed. At the preset time, the valve opens and the water flows, when finished, it shuts off and waits for the next program cycle.
Expensive models allow you to set different times on different days, and some even have rain sensors that will not turn on if you have had rain.
Just plug and Play.

#10 ·
There are different models. Some models have an electrically operated valve that screws to the hose bibb (faucet) and the hose screws to the valve. The timer box has wires that run to the valve and also plugs into an outlet for power.
Another model has a box that connects to the bibb and the hose connects to the box. They all work the same basically.
You hook it all up, set the On and Off times, turn the water valve to open and go to bed. At the preset time, the valve opens and the water flows, when finished, it shuts off and waits for the next program cycle.
Expensive models allow you to set different times on different days, and some even have rain sensors that will not turn on if you have had rain.
Just plug and Play.
Aah, thank you. What a luxury that would be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.