Survivalist Forum banner

Winter Caretaker Jobs... Red Rum, Red Rum...

34K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  TimHaar 
#1 ·
I should have posted this before.

There are 275+ fishing, hunting and natural history lodges in Alaska. Many of them are very remote locations that have openings for Caretaker type jobs during the winter months.

It's a unique opportunity for people who are self-sufficient and don't mind a solitary experience.

You are basically looking after the often multi-million dollar operations during the 6 month winters and into the early spring before the lakes and rivers break up.

Duties are pretty simple:

Shoveling snow off the roofs of buildings and making trails if they have a winter clientele, cutting firewood, watching for tresspssers and vandals, etc.

You need to be fairly healthy. You need to know how to run a generator, propane utilities, maintain a snowmachine, 4 wheeler and chainsaw. Someone who knows a little about everything will do well.

Many of them are weather stations and you will need a NWS Certification for Weather Reporting (Paid for). This requires constant close proximity to the lodge and is often ideal for couples... if you can tolerate each other. It also pays better.

The oppurtunity to run a trap line, hunting fox, wolf, hares, and upland birds is available at many of them. Can be superb in some areas.

Winter activities include cross country and downhill skiing, snow machine riding and guiding, snoweshoing, trapping, predator hunting, ice fishing, reading, fly-tying, arts and crafts, and photography which can be interesting and even lucrative for those interested in publishing. It can be quite long, lonely and boring if you don't know how to keep yourself busy and entertained. Some places provide Satellite T.V., Internet, etc. Others don't do squat.

Compensation is usually $700-$1500 per month with all food, supplies and transport paid for. Some will pay RT airfare from the lower 48 states. Often other job oppurtunites at the lodge for the summer, which is always an interesting experience.

None of them allow you to stay in the lodge itself. There is always a good little cabin with outhouse, stove, generator, and other stuff. Not usually any running water as the pipes freeze.

I worked at these locations for few weeks and months in the mid-90's. I worked as a guide for them during the summer and could fill in if they had problems. They were both situated on the Iditarod Trail and frequent destinations for snowmachiners and winter recreation. I had to care for a dog team at one, which was an adventure in itself.

I was able to go heli-skiing for a full 2 weeks one winter when they hosted a big group here. Whipped up 3000 flies that I sold to local shops and the lodge for their customers. I also read about 60 books in two months. I had to do the weather every two hours, which really sucked but it was interesting. http://www.withinthewild.com/about/

I guided here all summer in the mid to late 90's. About 3 hours from my house. Other lodges in the area with other caretakers. Lots of snowmachiners. Cook a hamburger for them to make a buck. http://riversonglodge.com/

Those interested can start here: http://www.google.com/search?source...=1T4ADBR_enUS260US269&q=alaska+fishing+lodges

I know many of the owners and operators as I was fully immersed in this lifestyle for 15 years so if you are serious and have questions, send me a PM and I will be happy to answer any questions.

See less See more
#4 ·
Definitely good for that. I wrote most of one in a few weeks. Lots of time to think, read and write out there.

One thing that bothers people is the intense quiet.... It can be maddening for someone unused to it. The Northern Lights crackle on a crispy night. You can hear a wolf howl for miles. The darkness, too. It's a little depressing if you are used to the beach. In the spring when the rivers break, it shakes the ground at your feet.

#9 ·
Maybe not. All lodge owners I know have Alaska Airlines mileage cards (applicable to affiliates and selected other airlines) to help with airfare costs... including paying for transport of employees. Any prospective employer is obligated to provide free transport to and from a major airport. It's the law. As I posted previously, they sometimes take care of your RT airfare up from lower 48 states as well, although that is a stretch for a first time employee, unless you know them personally. I have known them to do it, though. If you bail out early on your agreement, you may wind up being docked the airfare.

With all things gained, there is sacrifice.

#8 ·
"Workamping" is becoming increasingly popular. There are opportunities like this all over the country, year round, and websites that list this sort of work exclusively. A lot of the places provide lodging and food, like the OP stated, more often though, they provide parking spots and rv hookups. I have been contemplating something like this.

I bet a lot of places that do not list these types of jobs, but would benefit from a live-in maintenance/security/caretaker could be talked into coming to some arrangement with you, if you keep the proposition from sounding too much like paid vagrancy. Like a marina, or a KOA or something. Some people however, are incapable of wrapping their head around such a situation, even if it would greatly benefit them. I could definitely dig this kind of lifestyle.

#14 ·
Winter caretakers at lodges are frequently the camp mechanics during the summer season. This is always a highly paid position as you need to be around all the time. Typically about $4000-$5000 a month from May-September at a sizeable place and the only staff position that might be considered non-expendable. You also get a cut in tips, which is typically $3000 to $5000 for the summer. Sometimes more.

Like many people in remote positions, Camp Mechanics are sometimes a strange breed. I worked with one who hardly said a word to me or anyone else all season. I thought he was mute until he said goodbye to me at the end of the summer.

If you know something about plumbing, electrical, welding, carpentry, heating & refrigeration and outboard motors, then you might could get the job.

#17 ·
Haha! There was a guy at Rainy pass who played Bagpipes during cold nights. You could hear them from like 5 miles away and perfectly clear.

Strange stuff happens out there now and again. I made lunch for a Blackhawk crew that landed on the lake with some 3 star on board who wanted to use the phone. The next week, an ESPN crew was out covering the Iditarod with a hottie producer that I spent some quality time with.:whip:

#16 ·
I have been a housesitter since college, starting with a cabin at Lake Whatcom.

I still housesit. I like it.

I have housesat for one-off architect designed homes, nearby resort communities and a national park.

I have looked after rural property. I have even been a designated "custodian of the land".

I didn't know this was all so organized.

I just make sure the place is exactly as they left it, the animals, whatever. I had two llamas once.

The owner comes in for one or two weeks. The place is fresh, and exactly as if they left that morning and returned.

#20 ·
if only immigration wasn't in the way. This kinda job sounds like my dream.
Anyone know of a way for an Englishman to become an American?

Reactions: JedLMF
#22 ·
If you get hired by a lodge, then they can go through the hoops for you. I have seen this done many times. New Zealand, Mexico, Germany, Switzerland, South Africa, Argentina, Canada. More hoops to jump through but it's a yellow brick road for a temporary work permit.

#24 ·
If anyone is interested now is the time to start inquiring. I am already getting the word that many lodges are looking for a caretaker for next winter. You are at the exreme end to start looking for a summer job but it can still happen. Almost all of them fire someone at some point so you may be able to step in.

#26 ·
Where to begin?? alaska winter caretaker

My husband and I are VERY interested and looking. He is a building contractor and I am a travel agent. We are in Alaska working a summer job now and looking for exactly what you are proposing for the winter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Darla

#27 ·
My husband and I are VERY interested and looking. He is a building contractor and I am a travel agent. We are in Alaska working a summer job now and looking for exactly what you are proposing for the winter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Darla

All the info is there. Start looking. You need to think about what kind of location you prefer very carefully. There are caretakers in Denali Park, the Arctic Circle and and all the way down in Kodiak and in remote, isolated bays and coves.

Like I said, some of them are Weather Stations and you may need a NWS ticket which isn't hard to get but it also means staying close to the lodge at all hours. It does pay a few bucks more.

I would start in Southcentral and check the Talkeetna Phone book as most of the lodges up and down the Susitna and Yentna Rivers are listed there. I know almost all of them. Within the Wild is a good place to start looking right now. They have 3 lodges. www.withinthewild.com All 3 of them are weather stations.

The 75 or so gigs around Iliamna/Bristol Bay region offer many positions. These are beautiful places situated on lakes or rivers. Very remote so you need to stay healthy. Bristol Bay, Talarik, Newhalen, Rainbow River, Rainbow King, Alaska Rainbow, Rainbow Bay, Alaska Sportsman's, King Salmon, Anger's Paradise, Tikchik Narrows, Crystal Creek, Royal Wulff, Royal Coachman, Mission, and the rest out there.

The Anchorage Daily News usually has a couple ads now and again during the summer.

For myself, I have always wanted to work more in Southeast Alaska so you might check around there as well. Many owners stay there year round as Southeast is more like Puget Sound. Waterfall, Boardwalk Wilderness, and others on Prince of Wales Island and around Sitka.

Let me know how it turns out. If you wind up around here, I might drop in with a pizza and beer some cold winter night.

#28 ·
If it hasn't been said. You know it is night almost all day long in the winter? Wife and I had a chance to run a store year round up there. Good money too. She wouldn't go for the endless nights and having to snowmobile a LONG ways or be flown out to leave. The road was only open 3 months a year.
In the end, I have lived 90 miles from a town big enough to buy groceries most of my life and am pretty tired of it.

#31 ·
That time again folks. Lots of lodges looking for caretakers. For Southcentral areas, it looks a little grim for next year as many of the streams and rivers did not meet escapement goals for king salmon runs so many are likely looking at closures next year; we'll see.

FYI: Eco-tourism (hiking, wildlife viewing, natural history tours) is taking off here. Guides require no special licensing or knowledge, just some common sense and decent condition.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I will send you some information and places to check.

#32 ·
I tried to get on a fishing rig one time through an ad but it turned out to be a scam wherein they send you a list with dates addresses and phone numbers for $30. If I had a few more resources and time I would be very interested. Almost any place is better than socal still.

#36 ·
Canada is a visa waiver country and getting a work permit is childs play for Canadians with no background problems. It shouldn't be a problem at all but most caretaker jobs are spoken for right now. Most lodges are closing the doors as I write this or they are on their last couple weeks. Still you could call around.

Otherwise, I would look at the lodges around Great Slave, Slave Bear and those in the NWT around Yellowknife. BC has a large number of operators between Vancouver and the panhandle of SE Alaska.

#38 ·
cartaker jobs

I was reading your post and wonder how I go about getting one that pay's airfare from the lower 48. I am in Washington working my way up to Alaska. I started in southern California. My friend, myself and his dog (husky) wish to get a caretaker job to get a good start in Alaska.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.