Survivalist Forum banner
14K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Bizarro 
#1 ·
I was searching on Coleman gas lanterns and found they make a single mantel lantern that runs on kerosene. They run under $70.00
# The feaures of this Coleman Kerosene lantern are: 3.99 lbs
# Powered by 1.3 pints of kerosene fuel
# 7 hours burn time
# High light output - 320 candle power.

#3 · (Edited)
That is the one. Search and you can find it for under $60.00. There is a regular & large frame model.
The larger one states
• 4.88 lbs
• Powered by 2 pints of kerosene fuel
• 5.5 hours burn time
• 50% brighter than the 214B700T

Get some spare parts here also
You might be able to order the PRE HEATER CUP & GENERATOR and make an older single mantle coleman work, not sure of fit though.

#6 ·
I have a dual fuel Coleman (takes regular unleaded gas also), but don't use it much for camping since it's actually TOO bright. I find my battery lantern more convenient, safe inside the tent, etc. The gas lantern produces a brilliant light, works well outside around the campsite, etc. Just be sure to have extra "wicks" or whatever they're called.

In a TSHTF situation here in the northern plains, a gas lantern has an easy advantage over any battery lantern: no sensitivity to temperature during the winter months. The frigid winters we get here will drain batteries in a hurry, but make no difference to a gas lantern. So I find that multiple lighting solutions is a good idea.

#11 ·
I have a dual fuel Coleman (takes regular unleaded gas also), but don't use it much for camping since it's actually TOO bright. I find my battery lantern more convenient, safe inside the tent, etc. The gas lantern produces a brilliant light, works well outside around the campsite, etc. Just be sure to have extra "wicks" or whatever they're called.
I picked up 3 older working Coleman dual fuel's off of ebay last week and ordered a few spare parts. I have several propane lanterns, just wanted to cover all bases.

#8 ·
In my personal opinion , old fashioned oil lanterns are the way to go, the store bought oil is very cheap, keeps forever, if the wick runs out you can fashion one out of a rope belt or the like, any type of fuel that can be drawn up the wick that will burn with out exploding and wont totally coagulate will work. You can buy the suckers for less than 5 dollars. The oil fuel can be used for other purposes as well. Not forgetting that if you hit a bottle of oil real hard is just oozes everywhere, hit a gas bottle real hard and see where that gets you, not to mention long storage can render a gas bottle to be dangerous, rusted tank/ weathered gaskets. Not trying to **** on your parade but just to give insight.

#9 ·
Coleman kerosene

If I was going to buy one of the two Coleman kerosene lanterns I would pick the older style, while not quite as bright, it burns longer on a tank of fuel. It is plenty bright for most uses. The brighter Coleman lantern uses a quart every 5 hours or so.

I picked 5 hours of lantern light a night as a good number for planning purposes. If you pick the brighter Coleman kerosene lantern you will need to stock almost 2 gallons of kerosene for every week the power might be out. kerosene is no longer a cheap fuel, actually more expensive that Coleman fuel and much higher than gasoline at the moment. If you keep kerosene for space heaters or other use, then one of these lanterns makes good sense. I understand you might have success using diesel as an alternative, but I have not personally tried it.

If you have not used this type lantern consider that you need to preheat by burning alcohol or other fuel in the small cup to heat the generator mechanism. You will need some alcohol to burn. You might carefully use some kerosene in the cup, I am not making a recommendation as I would surely get a call from your lawyer if you were not careful.

If the kerosene odor is a problem for you, take the lantern outdoors to fill, light and extinguish, most of the odor occurs then. You should fill and light it outdoors anyway, at least until you consider yourself an expert, and have someone standing by with an extinguisher when you catch fire, ha. There are products like "klear lite", from Exxon I believe, that do not have an odor. There are also "odorants", that can be added to the kerosene to add pine or other scent.

#14 ·
If

kerosene is no longer a cheap fuel, actually more expensive that Coleman fuel and much higher than gasoline at the moment. .

Huh? Kerosene is $3.19 a gallon here in N.E. Ohio. I was just at WalMart today and Coleman Camp Fuel was $8.49 a gallon.

Yes, it's more expensive than gasoline, but my math puts it at about 1/3rd the price of Coleman fuel......

The fact that kerosene stores for a good long time makes it the emergency fuel of choice in my book..

#13 ·
Most coleman lanterns (especially older ones-40's-60's)will run on Coleman fuel or unleaded fuel now days.The problem with using the unleaded fuel is that the generaters have to be replaced sooner.Coleman fuel is still "Highly recommended" by coleman because their fuel does burn cleaner.If one had to use unleaded though,the lanterns will take it,and take it just fine,But you may want to keep extra generators around.If you own a coleman you know that anyway,just like keeping extra mantles on hand.Just my two cents,of course.

#18 ·
Propane is the fuel of choice, but it may be harder to get than gasoline at some point. If you get a large storage tank and an adapter to refill the canisters you should be good for a while. I am covering as many bases as possible, I don't want to be in the dark as it was.

#16 ·
High priced kerosene

You are lucky if you can get it that cheap.

Our closest Wal-Mart, about 170 miles away, has not raised their Coleman fuel prices (YET), still about $5.80 per gallon, though i am sure they will once they either sell the current batch or notice they are under charging.

Kerosene is still over 6 bucks a gallon here at the pump, and did not drop with the recent gas prices.

Some people are paying a lot more for kerosene if they buy it in a container at home improvement stores etc. I suspect our premium price is partially to do with demand, since the demand for kerosene space heating is low here the kerosene bought when prices were at their peak will sit until somebody depletes the stock. Our fuel supplier will knock off a bit if you buy over 50 gallons at a time and haul it yourself. The only kerosene available here at the pump is road taxed fuel. If you can buy red dyed "off road" fuel at the pump where you live you can save a little more as well. When I travel to the big city I can usually buy red kerosene a bit cheaper at the pump. To buy red diesel for a tractor or other off road equipment (in Texas) you have to obtain a state tax permit, that may soon be the case with red kerosene, who knows.

If the kerosene prices stay high much longer i may have to drive to your state to resupply, ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.