Survivalist Forum banner
8K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Monique 
#1 ·
Anyone else heard of the gov buying huge quantities of survival foods?

I read something recently that stated that the gov is buying hundreds of millions of meals, when they usually only stock about 6 million meals.

If this is true it appears the gov knows something they are not telling us. Can anyone confirm or add anything to this?

#4 ·
The comments from fema to mountainhouse regarding the need to feed seven million people in the new madrid fault area lends some insight as to what they are thinking.

#6 ·
Mountain House denies it, but other companies have said that FEMA is buying up a bunch. They're stocking up their warehouses because of their New Madrid fault preparations. Government purchases of long term foods is nothing new. They make up one of the largest purchasers.
The freeze dried market is pretty small so it's easily overwhelmed whenever they get an increase in demand like that. The dehydrated market is much larger, since it's not just storage food that it supplies, but box meals sold in stores, etc. It's not as easily overwhelmed.

#7 ·
The freeze dried market is pretty small so it's easily overwhelmed whenever they get an increase in demand like that. The dehydrated market is much larger, since it's not just storage food that it supplies, but box meals sold in stores, etc. It's not as easily overwhelmed.
A buddy of mine and I were talking about this over the weekend. The freeze dried market seems to be easily overwhelmed, as compared to the regular dehydrated market.

Just why the gobberment is buying up food, nobody knows but them, and they probably dont even know. FEMA probably had some extra money they needed to spend before next years budget, so why not just dump it into food.

With all of the earthquakes in Asia, I think there is a reason for the west coast to be concerned.

Hurricane season is fast approaching.

And this new madrid fault zone might have people living along the Mississippi river south of the fault zone concerned.

There are lots of reasons for the gubbernment to be stockpiling food.

#8 ·
I saw a few reports saying they canceled the orders. I dont understand the tin-hat logic about a "big event" coming so fema buys food that last 10+years? If they saw somethinging coming soon they could just buy mres and canned food. Im sure Campbells would sell them everything they wanted :)

#11 ·
Emergency Essentials has a notice in their April catalog indicating that Mountain House has asked all their distributors to "temporarily" stop taking new orders for Mountain House cans. .
This is nothing new, look at this thread from June of 2008 about mountain house foods. Scroll down to post #20 - its the last post on page 1, daibutsu posted an email saying there had been a spike in sales that the order could not be completed.

Here is another thread dated July 31, 2008 about mountain house food shortages.

Shortages come and go, I dont think its anything to be worried about.

We have documented threads, with exact dates showing on and off again shortages of freeze dried foods, especially mountain house.

#10 ·
Regardless of the reasoning, the market for long term storable foods is currently experiencing heavy ordering as evidenced by most suppliers experiencing a backlog of deliveries.

People who are just now starting out will experience difficulties with that.

That being said, there is nothing tinfoil about the potential for food shortages, and sky rocketing cost of food. The evidence of a shortage is harder to witness, but the substantial cost increase is self evident upon a visit to the grocery store.

#13 ·
Oh good grief. People who believe in vast government secret conspiracies ought to actually work for the government some time. Let me just say, this whole alarmist scenario is HIGHLY unlikely.
An RFI is a far cry from "secretly" buying up scads of food.
You can't have a real conspiracy when hundreds upon hundreds of people are involved. Sheesh.

#20 ·
Don't talk sense! There are people on this board who can't HANDLE sense! Having none of it, themselves...

:thumb:

Yes we have been hearing about it ad nauseum for the last five years. It is no more sinister than it was then. I'll bet people in NJ are pretty freaking happy to be eating those MREs.
Agreed, this is nothing new. The government has been hogging a large part of the survival food market for a while now. All the conspiracy theorists should keep in mind that A) The government is constantly having to replace all the freeze dried and other foods they use in disasters and that go past the expiration date (I wonder what they do with the latter: Donate it to charity? Destroy it? Send it abroad?); B) FEMA is constantly being pushed to provide more food and water by knuckleheads TO knuckleheads who don't prep before disasters and then scream loud and long for government help; and C) unlike a LOT of people on this board and in real life, the Feds don't seem to have any doubt that global warming / climate change is happening, that more disasters will be happening more often, and they better be ready to rescue all the knuckleheads AND the deniers who get caught up in the disasters they refuse to get ready for unless they want a severe backlash from such characters... :(

#15 ·
When you say "has an order in" are you talking about the RFI, which is not an order, or an actual order? Could you point us towards your source?
On the other hand, I would imagine they do buy meals as an ongoing thing. What I don't understand is all this "what do they know that we don't know" stuff.

#16 ·
All we can add is that WISE Company increased their MAP (we were asked to change all of our WISE product Pricing last week) so... the demand is going up.. the price goes up.. another indicator...

Reactions: keepingon
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.