Survivalist Forum banner
29K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  MikeK 
#1 ·
Hello all.I put up 25 pounds of white sugar this evening,got 2 qts per 8x12" bag.....NO O2 drier was used in the bags,I believe I read somewhere that 02 driers would solidify the sugar..............am I right?:rolleyes:

What about iodized salt? NO drier.....right?....................I was planning on 1 qt. per 8x12" mylar bag,get it out of the paper can it comes in.:D:

#5 ·
You did well. I store sugar and salt in mylar....no o2 absorbers. I also store salt and sugar in cleaned Ragu spaghetti sauce bottles, and V-8 bottles. The Ragu bottles have great rubber seals in the lids for a nice air tight seal. The sugar and salt I store in these....is what I rotate out in my storge plan. The buckets are for long term storage. Again, no o2.

Attachments

#6 ·
It's funny you posted this....tonight I opened a tub of sugar (regular one from the grocery store in a yellow plastic container)...anyways, it somehow was an old one from a year or two ago and I decided to open it and use it.....tasted like absolute crap, I can't even describe it to you. I normally use the mylar bags, but this tub was shoved in the back of a cupboard. Lesson learned.

#8 ·
also remember that sugar absorbes the flavors in the air around it so clean out that ragu jar really well, and if you have to wait awhile to seal it up make sure you keep it away form the nasty stuff in your garage like gasoline or motor oil. YUCK! in fact, if your garage is anything like mine don't put it in there at all! :)

#10 ·
Not Mentioned ENOUGH

This aspect of food storage doesn't get mentioned enough when discussing locations to store food buckets ........ that "flavor" you mention is the chemical off gassing from fuels, chemicals, pesticides, herbicides ect ........ it not only will ruin the taste but also can be toxic and dangerous to your health .....

#14 ·
Old food jars work fine so long as they are cleaned out well and have a plastic seal inside the lid. Wax paper/cardboard seals are nearly useless. After fully cleaning out the jar and lid, put a half oz of ammonia in with water, turn upside down and allow to sit overnight before draining, rinsing, and air-drying completely. The nitrogen in ammonia will destroy organic compounds, leave it ultra clean, and revitalize the lid seal to give you a jar as clean as it was when it was originally filled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.