Survivalist Forum banner

Buck Ron Hood series

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bearspirit 
#1 ·
Do any of you have any experience with the Buck Ron Hood series: Specifically the Hoodlum and the Thug?
Thanks

#2 ·
I picked up one of the first Hoodlum runs (made by TOPS, not Buck). Of all my large blades, this is probably the better designed for my environment. Big knives are a bit controversial in the knife-user community as they are a compromise from between a smaller knife and an axe/machete.

First, the Hoodlum sucks at chopping. It is too light and a thin, flat ground blade. Even with this blade, you would be wise to include a decent folding saw. Where it excels is in greener foliage environments, jungles, swampy area, spring time or down were I am in the SE. It can serve as a decent small machete.

Another good feature is the ability to choke up or use it as a smaller blade by holding the blade closer to the tip. Ron Hood developed a very effective method to use a lanyard for that purpose. The tip could be the weak spot if you think this is a pry bar tool, which it isn’t. If used like a knife and not a breaching tool, it’s more than tough enough.

If you baton wood, it does it well, but don’t expect to pound through very large diameter wood rounds; at most 5-6 inches is what I would recommend if you really need to split wood for the drier insides. The notch works well as a pot/bail catcher for your Bushpot.

For actual knife chores, it excels at cutting smaller branches and vegetation for building shelters, manufacturing snares/traps, cutting bows for insulation, clearing a camp site, foraging (much longer reach), fire prep, etc. The biggest advantage is the size to weight ratio; it makes it a crappy chopper on large wood, but much easier to carry in the pack.

I think Nutnfancy did a decent video using the current Buck version…

Here’s the Hoodlum in comparison to some other large knives…far right.

The late Ron Hood was a master in the outdoors. He often advocated the benefits of very large knives, but he also kept a smaller knife/folder on his person (often the Victorinox SAK). The only down fall of a large knife is their size when packing; they often are put in the pack and not on the body...something I don't advocate. Never the less, if you get a chance to see Ron's videos, his skill with a large blade will amaze you.

ROCK6

#4 ·
Amazes me at what his wife will do to continue to sell his name. Firstly did Ron actually design and use this? His knives of choice were Randalls were they not? This tells me the quality he demanded in a knife. I can tell you Mike Fuller doesnt make anything Ron would have ever selected. And Buck is not worth even mentioning.
Ron is probably rolling in his grave.
I will go back and look at Hood's Woods. Seems like i never saw anything like this on his person. Ever.

#5 ·
Several errors. First, Ron Hood used Mike Fuller's (TOPS) designs numerous times (he was a big advocate and user of the larger Anaconda); http://www.survival.com/tops_knives.htm and the first production run of this Hoodlum (there are a few other customs with that name) was made by TOPS before Buck picked up the full production run. Ron was heavily involved in this design before he passed and was a user of many large knives, customs and productions. Bill Siegle developed one of his first Hoodlum designs; the Siegle on the far left in my picture as the Hoodlum II. Yes, Ron used Randall knives (a model 1 with an 8+ inch blade), along with customs from Trace Rinaldi, Fehrman and plenty of production knives including TOPS and Cold Steel. And before you pass judgment, Ron's wife was a large part of the business and heavily involved; if anybody has a right to continue marketing, it's Mrs. Hood who was as much business partner as wife. Not trying to be a jacka$$, but correcting a few errors that need to be corrected.

ROCK6

#7 ·
I don't know, I'm not a big Buck advocate, but they seemed to have improved lately. Ron Hood originally had TOPS make his first run (which I have) and it was well done. Knowing Ron's attention to detail, I would assume he was pretty satisfied with Buck's manufacturing; I haven't heard any failures of the Hoodlum design yet, so we'll see...

#9 ·
Hoodlum Impact Testing (twelve 12,000-lbs blows)

I have not gotten the Buck Hoodlum due to the notch as I do battoning with my long knives. I wish they would do a run without the notch. I like Buck as a company.

I own and use many large USA made knives:
Camillus Beckers BK2, BK7SG, BK91 (0176-6C High Carbon), BK77 (S30V)
Ka-Bar Beckers BK2, BK7, BK9 (1095 Cro-Van)
Ontario RD7, RD9, RTAK II (5160)
Ontario RAT-7 (D-2)
ESEE 6 (1095)
Gerber LMF II, (Sandvik 12C27)

RTAK II (some on youtube have broken like the Buck Hoodlum).

#10 ·
Rock6. I stand corrected sir. I am in total disbelief. I never heard good things about these. I have heard the stories of common breakages at the "notch" but having never actually seeing one i could not comment. Now that i have seen it, i believe all the stories.
I am shocked at the sheath. Standard Tops trash. Even ESSE gives a decent sheath and for less money.
Never the less, i am saddened by all the Ron Hood marketing now that he is gone. At some point his name and memory will not be associated with his core beliefs and values, but only marketing and poor performing products. Hell, even Dave Canterbury uses Blind Horse.

#11 ·
Well, I can understand the marketing issue. The only saving grace is that Karen Hood can hold her own when it comes to survival...she (or her) son should have rights to Ron's expertise as long as they stick to the core values; that's for another discussion;)

I very much agree on the sheath being crappy (like most of TOPS sheaths unfortunately). I ended up with a custom Kydex; Buck would do well to pay attention to ESEE's sheath systems. I'm still undecided about the "notch" in the blade. I don't see it as essential and could do with out it. It's good to see impact tests showing it's not a weakness, but I do question the necessity...it's not like it's a trademark. If Buck can stick to their QA/QC with the 5160 steel and heat treatment, they will continue to improve their image. Again, my version is made by TOPS and I'm a big believer in Mike Fuller's commitment to quality and they have an exceptional heat treatment track record.

ROCK6

#12 ·
Buck Knives – Hoods Woods
HOODLUM
5160 Carbon Steel
*First 50 made, laser notch, longer notch, some broke

Buck Knives – Ron Hood
HOODLUM
5160 Carbon Steel
*Current ones made, Milled notch, shorter notch

Note the changes made.

Buck Knives is known to be the industry leader in 420HC BOS heat treatment. 5160 is quite different. I would note that Kukri knives made in Nepal from spring steel (5160) famous and they are 3/8” at the spine often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.