Survivalist Forum banner

Dog attack in my yard

15K views 94 replies 56 participants last post by  Madmike34744 
#1 ·
We live in a small, rural town. This morning our old mama dog was barking and throwing a fit. I went out to see what was going on. I knew there was an animal in the field behind us, but didn't think too much about it. Figured it was the neighbor's cat. She loves to terrorize my dog. I went around to the clothesline and took down the clothes. I got to the steps of the front porch and here come two beautiful dogs. My cat is there at my feet and those dogs start after him even with me screaming like a banshee trying to scare them off. I threw the clothes at them, my shoes, rocks from the flower bed etc and they still killed him. My husband comes out in his skivies and I yell at him to get a gun. They take off as he comes back outside. He says they were starting to circle me when he got out there, I don't know.

Lots of people worry about the 2 legged animals that may cause us harm in a SHTF situation. I think cats & dogs that are left to go wild and vermin may be as big or even a bigger problem to survival in such a situation.

These dogs belong to a family in town, and like I said, are beautiful. However, the killer instinct seems to be very strong in them.

#42 ·
Sorry for the loss of your cat.

We keep our cats inside. Too many things outdoors that want kill them - Packs of Coyotes, Dogs, Birds of Prey, Vultures, Posums, Skunks, Racoons, Bobcats, etc. etc. etc.

Had a loose dog make the front porch his home a couple weeks ago. He was tagged and the owner came and picked him. Scared off another dog that was using our bird bath as his water bowl when I was home last month. He followed commands well and left.

Haven't had to shoot any dogs yet but then again, we don't have livestock or chickens, yet.

Where I live is cattle country. Great Pyrenees dogs, run free with the cattle they are protecting. However they stay on their ranches.

#44 ·
beleive me a dog can absorb some .22lr hits before it will go down for good.
I've had to shoot several large dogs over the years - it's no fun even if they are dangerous.
twice I was 'stalked' by 2 seperate groups of 3. one I had to shoot the others ran off.
the other when I pulled my pocket rocket .22 Walther the lead dog - a large male pit - knew what it was or sensed aggression in me and ran off before I could shoot it.

#49 ·
beleive me a dog can absorb some .22lr hits before it will go down for good.
I've had to shoot several large dogs over the years - it's no fun even if they are dangerous.
twice I was 'stalked' by 2 seperate groups of 3. one I had to shoot the others ran off.
the other when I pulled my pocket rocket .22 Walther the lead dog - a large male pit - knew what it was or sensed aggression in me and ran off before I could shoot it.
If you're shooting the dog with a short barreled .22 handgun the ft/lbs of energy is very low. In the 20-35 ft/lbs range. Use the same .22 round in a rifle and now your in the 100-160 ft/lbs range. 22lr's are not going to give anywhere near their energy potential out of a short barreled pistol.

#45 ·
Oh goody!! My favorite subject!
I live here in Wyoming too and completely agree with Tex. Furthermore, Wyoming law is strict regarding domestic canines.
Personally??? I consider them a serious hazard and will poison, trap, shoot or club any dog I find in the backcountry. PERIOD!!!

#46 ·
To the OP, I'm sorry you lost your cat, but I'm glad you weren't physically hurt. I have had to shoot my share of dogs, that have been attacking our livestock. Every time though, it is the fault of the owner, not the dogs. It's the owners moral and legal responsibility to control and contain their pets. Left to roam free, dogs will do what their instincts dictate.

The problem around here are morons owning pit bulls, and letting them roam. Because of past experience, I am prejudiced against this breed in particular. I am a pit bull bigot. I value my 5 year old son, my wife, my 16 year old daughter too much to give a pit bull or pit bull mix the benefit of the doubt. TP

Attachments

#47 ·
I can understand that those of you with livestock have a right to protect them but I would encourage you to at least give the dog a chance before killing it.

My dog looks mean(siberian husky) but she's a big baby. If she were to attack your pets or animals I would understand if you killed her but if she just happens to run through your yard I would hope someone wouldn't get too trigger happy.

Not all dogs are goat eating terrorists that deserve to be shot. Some just like to run.

I know it's my responsibility to keep my dog contained and I always try to do so but there have been a few times where she's pulled a fast one on me and escaped.

#48 ·
I would encourage you to keep your sweet, but mean looking dog at home.

In the time it takes us to determine whether a dog is mean or not, it can do a lot of expensive damage. I have seen a bunch of sweet dogs who wouldn't harm a flea come across a never before seen chicken or calf and when that animals flight instincts kick in the dogs pursuit instincts take over. They may be a good dog, but maybe having never been exposed to different animals found on a ranch, it has never been trained to not pursue the livestock. I will not take the time to ascertain whether or not your dog has been trained to not pursue livestock. FiFi can do a lot of damage in just a few seconds.

We live 20 miles out of a town and our closest neighbor is over a mile away. A large part of the time, if we see a loose dog, it is one someone has dumped off. They think it will find a nice home where a kindly farmer will take it in and his loving wife will bake it cookies. Not so. most farmers and ranchers already have all of the dogs they need, or want. They see a dog that someone has dumped off and think it must not be worth a damn if someone would dump it. it might be a sweet dog, but it might also run horses through fences, kill chickens, or rip the jugular out of a calf. the quickest and easiest way for us to determine if it is a good dog or not is a bullet. That way we know it is a good dog.

I see a lot of people who think it's cool to get a livestock breed of working dog. They are good looking dogs, but most people who have them have no intentions to ever train them on livestock. The traits these dogs exhibit have been bred into them for a very long time. Just because Joe Blow doesn't own cows or livestock doesn't mean his dog won't chase them. the first time that dog gets around livestock he WILL chase them unless he is on a leash. The dog hasn't been taught how to channel its aggression in this regard. We see it here alot, which is why we don't hesitate to shoot. We also keep our work dog chained up when she is outside unless we are with her. Our dog does not run loose unless she is under our direct control. If we can keep our dogs under control, we expect everybody else to as well.

I get so sick of people thinking their dog is special, or thinking it should receive special consideration. You are right. Your dog is special. TO YOU. Me? I don't give two ****s about your dog. It is your dog, so show it some consideration and keep it at home.

We had a neighbor come over a few years ago bitching and raising hell because we shot his dog. It didn't matter to him that we saw his dog run our cows through a fence. He said that we still had no right to shoot his dog. While he was screaming all of this, the oldest daughter who was about 10yrs old at the time stepped up. She told him that if we could shoot her dog for chasing the livestock, we could dang sure shoot his. And yes, her dog got to where she wouldn't stay home and she got caught chasing the cows and horses. The wife put a quick end to it permanently. We don't tolerate it with our own dogs and we won't put up with it from your dogs.

If you love your dog, Keep It Home.

Tex

#52 ·
When is comes to dogs running loose, I'm reluctantly with those who shoot first, ask questions later. I've had dogs and back in the long ago days, there wasn't as much of an expectation that they'd be on a leash. My sister's terrier mix was pretty sweet with us, etc. but pretty awful about anyone on a bike. We really could've been sued if, in the couple incidents, anything more serious had happened. I was probably 10 or so at the time and I still feel embarrassed about those moments.

So--I'm glad the way things have changed (at least around here) as far as dogs being on a leash. Nice not to have to worry about them attacking AND--more of a regular, immediate issue--nice that someone's with them when they poop and cleans up properly.

But having seen our sweet pooch of long ago (who was small to medium sized) get mean, I can understand someone treating someone else's family pet as a threat.

That situation where the cop shot the rottweiler:

That pretty much illustrates what I'm talking about.

#59 ·
When is comes to dogs running loose, I'm reluctantly with those who shoot first, ask questions later. I've had dogs and back in the long ago days, there wasn't as much of an expectation that they'd be on a leash. My sister's terrier mix was pretty sweet with us, etc. but pretty awful about anyone on a bike. We really could've been sued if, in the couple incidents, anything more serious had happened. I was probably 10 or so at the time and I still feel embarrassed about those moments.

So--I'm glad the way things have changed (at least around here) as far as dogs being on a leash. Nice not to have to worry about them attacking AND--more of a regular, immediate issue--nice that someone's with them when they poop and cleans up properly.

But having seen our sweet pooch of long ago (who was small to medium sized) get mean, I can understand someone treating someone else's family pet as a threat.

That situation where the cop shot the rottweiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSkwrpVwmBo

That pretty much illustrates what I'm talking about.

As a former Rottweiler owner I'm disgusted by the behavior of it's owner, he orchestrated the shooting for monetary gain. This entire incident with the Rottie is a SCAM, the driver of the car is a well-known member of Obama's "community" who has a history of instigating and confronting police in order to later claim "racism/discrimination". He's got a LENGTHY criminal record (what a surprise) and routinely files lawsuits against police hoping to hit the ghetto lottery (which WE pay for with our tax dollars).

#55 ·
People need to understand pack mentality. Not only is it prevalent in animals it is also prevalent in humans.

Most dogs that find their way to the farm take a wide berth. Maybe it's the hissing and get out commands they don't like. :D: :rofl:

There's a big white dog that probably stands 2 1/2 feet tall and he's a monster, he acts friendly but I don't make my self available for close contact. I thought it was my neighbors dog but it isn't. So what do I do? 40 years ago it'd been put down because of livestock reasons, today? I have no qualms with the dog and he's pretty looking dog, so as long as he stays friendly he'll live to see another day.

Just how long will it take for this dog to go feral???

I fear the neighbors beagles more than this dog. They is grouchy mutts. :rofl:

#56 ·
I don't post much here but this topic begs a response. It's the pet (dog) owners responsibility to control their pets, dogs don't understand the meaning of fences/signs and are only acting "instinctively" when chasing livestock. HOLD THE PET OWNER RESPONSIBLE and GIVE THE DOGS A PASS.

I've had first hand experience dealing with large packs of abandoned/wild dogs while running a bus garage (mechanic & foreman) in an industrial area of Staten Island N.Y. Most would think ALL these dogs are feral, aggressive, predators but I've seen co-workers rescue a few who later made great pets.

As a dog owner I hate to see a dog paying for the sins of it's owner, maybe a "civil" judgment in court, as in "monetary damages" would send the message, it's obvious the neglectful owners don't care about their dogs or they wouldn't be roaming in the first place. Hit the true offenders (humans) where it hurts, in the wallet.

#57 ·
Your theory of holding the owner responsible sounds good except for one thing. When confronted by an angry rancher or even a sheriff's deputy, I have never seen an owner claim ownership of a dog when told that the dog has killed or maimed livestock. I am 40yrs old and grew up on a ranch and now have my own ranch and have never once seen a person stand up and say, "yeah, that's my dog". Calves are bringing $1000 and vet bills for a horse that has been ran through a fence can go far above that. The best way to get an owner to pay for that sort of stuff is to take the shot dog to the person's front door. Make sure that you have your recorder going before they open the door. When they answer the door be sure and act sorrowful that something happened to their dog. As soon as they say something along the lines of, "what happened to my kids little Fido", you have them. That is when you tell them that you shot it and they owe you for damages.

As soon as you say that you shot it they will get mad. As soon as you say what they did and how much it cost, they will deny deny deny that it is their dog. That is when you show them the recorder. At that time you might want to call the sheriff.

You are right that it is due to irresponsible owners, but it is the dog that does the actual damage and when confronted with a large bill for damages, I have yet to see a person claim the dog. Even if they do claim the dog, it could take a very long time to ever receive any money for what the dog cost you. We have some horses that money simply cannot replace and I would hate to see them hurt for any reason, especially if it were my fault because I gave some strange dog the benefit of the doubt. If you had ever seen your livlihood suffer because of the visciousness of a strange dog, I bet you would feel the same as I do.

Tex

#58 ·
I understand financial burden of livestock owners and their desire to address the issue head-on though a trip to the shelter or calling the animal warden gives the dog a chance at life in a home where owners will love and care for it. As for vicious dogs who repeatedly cause carnage, PUT THEM DOWN!

I'm a bowhunter, I still tear up EVERYTIME I take a deer.

#63 ·
The original scenario tell me that the OP simply was NOT prepared. Why? When the husband came out, he should not have had to go back for a gun, he should have been able to snatch a suitable firearm (shotgun) from next to the door, to immediately deal with the situation. when he left, his wife could have been attacked and been far to o late to do anything about it.
Feral animals in a SHTF situation are a serious danger. But even under normal standards, this unexpected scenario could have ended much worse. As it was the animals killed the cat.

#64 ·
Some of the Posters here have not "seen" PACK MENTALITY when two or more dogs form a pack. Even the mildest of good dogs becomes part of the pack when something is attacked. A child, young adult or even a full grown adult - better not go down on the ground. The pack acts as a group with prey. I've seen it twice in my life. Once walking up on a pack that had killed a cow. Recently when my chained dog was attacked in my yard. If you ever see a violent attack by a group of dogs, you will probably carry a larger firearm with higher capacity from then on.

#68 ·
I have shot a few dogs going after my horses and livestock. I recently had an issue with a neighbors pit bull coming across the street, jumping my fence and fighting with my dog. My dog got the worst of it. I called the sheriff's, they said it was an animal control issue. I called animal control, they said they would give a warning but it would be a few days.
They also told me to do what I had to do if it happens and I am at home (told me to use a shotgun) so bullets would not possibly ricochet around the neighborhood. I went over to the neighbor's house and let him if he did not keep his dog under control I would pull the trigger on it. His reply was 'I wouldn't suggest that'. I told him to sue me.
So far the dog has stayed on his side of the street. Mr 870 with a couple loads of dead coyote in the tube is hung above the door on a couple hooks.

#71 ·
Here's the trick with dogs don't run only prey runs away. That always makes it worse. Now I've had farm dogs and other dogs that were known to attack people ie signs, muzzles ect come at me. Most dogs know a ****ed off person and they run from them. You always focus on the dog that is more aggressive or seems to have more energy then the other dog as they can drag other dogs into it. I had 2 dogs come running up barking at me I just stopped looked right at them and said hello dog that didn't work so I went HEY Knock it off GO HOME and pointed towards the house they got lose from. I then walked towards the 1 dog that was the leader of the pack and dominated him with my body by standing firm and not letting him approach me I just stood in front and focused on him when he turned to leave the other dog followed. The owner was surprised I didn't get bitten or run away. I said I've dealt with farm dogs that like to chase cars and stuff you just stop then tell them to go away. They stop after a while because they don't know what to do.

When the dogs went after the cat they were chasing prey because it ran away you can't show fear with aggressive dogs sometimes you got to be meaner then they are and when they lock onto something sometimes there is almost nothing you can do to break that except bite or hit them directly watch sled dog they beat the dog because if they don't they fight and they will kill each other they have to be meaner then the sled dogs or they take over. It's like a dog that's part wolf for some owners it's no problems but for others it is it all comes down to the owner you can't give an inch with a wolf dog.

Some dogs are stupid allot of it comes down to the owner I have an known to be aggressive dog and I don't let him get away with anything it's correction after correction and now he Is allot calmer then again I'm the third owner because he bites well that's fine I bite back and just as hard. I don't use to much I just use the right amount that's the key small mistake small correction big mistake bigger correction doesn't stop then you get more aggressive with the correction you have to match the dogs level of energy sometimes or they won't respond I've had my dog bark at people but he's stupid sometimes the trick is to get it before the problem happens and to see it coming and know when to step up.

Most of the time you can talk to people and sometimes you can't allot depends on how you approach someone if you go excuse me your dog came onto my yard and attacked my dog in a nice way most people would be like my dog never saw it coming then you just say can you please make sure it doesn't happen again by keeping him in the yard I wouldn't want to have to harm your dog if I can avoid it.

#72 ·
I live in the country and we deal with loose dogs all the time. The idea people get that "I can drop this unwanted. undisciplined, and/or unhealthy dog off in the country and someone will take it in" is prevalant and dangerous.

There is, the best I can figure out, a sign up at the road in front of my place that says (written in dog) "Come on up, she's a sucker." I get about 10 - 12 drop offs a year and at least one or two whole litter of puppies that wander up into my front yard. I don't have livestock, but I'm in a livestock raising area. A dog dropped off at a farm or ranch gets a completely different reception than one does at my house. They have penned/fenced animals that are expensive, are their source of income and are dependent on them for protection. Those people must react decisively toward stray dogs.

If these dogs come up to my place, I have the luxury of fencing them, cleaning them up, medicating them (somewhat), feeding them to get them healthy again and interacting with them. Then I can tie a bow around their necks, run a free ad for them and find them a home. I've come across a few in the last 17 years that I wouldn't try to find new homes for. If a dog has been too badly abused or mis-treated that they are always suspicious of people, I won't try to find them a home because I don't feel that dog would be trustworthy around children. I also cannot and will not keep every un-placeable dog that comes up. So, some owner has lazily put their responsibilities off on me.

I say I have that luxury because I have a place I can observe these dogs before I get too close to them, I don't have small children in the house to be endangered, and I don't have livestock. If any of those facts were different I wouldn't end up with Mel's halfway house for abandoned dogs. I have learned through the years, it takes a lot for a single dog to turn mean. You put three dogs together running wild and you have a dangerous menace, not pets that need re-homing. Some dogs have been so abused they cannot adjust to people and aren't safe. Some dogs have been abused terribly (I've treated the wounds from some horrible things people do to their dogs) and NEVER give up on people. I have to admit I've kept a couple of those dogs through the years, I just couldn't make myself take a chance on them being treated that way again.

The biggest problem with domesticated dogs "going bad" and running wild and becoming dangerous is people. They won't train their dogs, they abuse or neglect the dogs, and they don't take the responsibility to do what's necessary for the dogs. They drop them off instead of finding them a home or shelter. They think it's cute to teach the puppy to "attack" and then are horrified when the 80 pound dog thinks it's still ok. It is infuriating.

I'm not saying that dogs have rights over people, I'm saying that when one person abdicates their responsibility, the responsibility doesn't go away. It simply must be borne by the next person who comes along. Regardless of whether it is a neighbor's pet creating danger and terrorizing the neighborhood or Fifi who gets heartworms and the owner is too lousy to get them treated or make the tough decision to put them down. The next person who comes in contact with that dog must protect their own children, animals or property, or it may be some sucker like me who will find their dog a home.

The problem is the same, there's a lot of people out there who are too weak to stand up and make the grown-up decisions and take care of their responsibilities, be those responsibilities pets, children, family, or personal. That is at the crux of a lot of problems in this country. Mental children playing grown-up.

#85 ·
Outstanding post :thumb:

We are now a nation FULL of irresponsible people. I have seen warehouses FULL of caged, neglected pit bulls used for fighting. I'm not at liberty to discuss that more but I have seen it. As our nation devolves, blood sports are becoming more popular. It happened to Rome. We are on our way.

And I think very highly of you btw for your efforts and humane approach to a very difficult problem.

#73 ·
Well I got home from work Friday and found my gate sprung open. My big dog Buck greets me but something is wrong. I look for my small dog and find him, hes dead, mauled. I get the sheriffs out and a neighbor across the street comes over and tells us he seen those pit bulls in my yard that morning. Deputy took statements and pictures, tried getting hold of animal control but they would not answer their phones.

I am beyond ****ed off. I just got home about an hour ago from taking Buck to the emergency vet in Reno, cost me $270 to have them sedate him and shave, clean and dress his wound. They wanted over 900 for a few stitches, way to much. I feel I took it in the rear for the 170 dollar bandage. The 100 dollar emergency vet fee I expected. I will take him to my vet on Monday. I will also meet with animal control.

Looks like the owner of the dogs slipped in sometime today and got the dogs out of here. I had to make a hay run first thing this morning then was in Reno for hours with my dog. All I'm going to say is if those dogs show up again and an opportunity presents itself I'm pulling the trigger. I will not rest until the little prick that owns the dogs and says 'my dogs wouldn't do that' is in front of a judge. Its on now.

#75 ·
Sorry to hear about this--sorry for the loss and injry to you/your dogs.

But also, the bit about the extreme vet bill: yes--emergency vets seem to exist in a whole nuther realm of costs. I realize they're providing a special service by being there 24/7, and they probably get stiffed by a lot of people who don't pay up after getting care, but always feels like a second injury to pay triple/quadruple the cost of the same treatment if you just went to a regular vet 8 hrs. later.

#77 · (Edited)
Thanks Bud. My little dog Noodles was my late wifes dog, she had end stage liver disease and fought a long hard fight but lost the fight last December 29th. I promised her I would take care of and love that dog, he was only 8 years old and still had a lot of life left in him. I feel like I failed. I'm madder then mad about this, it never should of happened and I want pay back.

These dogs at large have been a problem for some time and had been brought to the owners attention a couple times in the past. I knew nothing would change just by the dudes attitude.

#78 ·
Years ago while camping out on the desert our camp was invaded by a pack of very friendly feral dogs. The big alpha male was a rottie/pit mix, the pack included 13 dogs in total. When they crossed near our camp our black lab alerted us to their presence. We secured our dog into our vehicle and they started to leave. But that alpha just couldn't let it go, my oldest boy was about 10 or 12 and the dog started running towards him, first at a trott and then in a quick run.
I was armed with a Norenco SKS with a fixed 30 round magazine. I fired on the alpha first, striking him head on in the front shoulder and exiting out his hip. He dropped into a circle has he attempted to lick his exit wound. I then fired on the others until I ran out of targets.
I realized after that incident that I was lucky to be over armed, had I been under armed I don't it would have ended as well.
For those of you who have never encountered feral dogs I can only tell you to exercise extreme prejudice when you find yourself face to face with one or two or thirteen of them.
It's hard to intentionally, willfully and deliberately inflict harm on or kill what you have always known as a loyal friend, but your not his buddy, your his prey.

#79 ·
Agree with this and want to add that even the best of family dogs that are just fine while at home can totally change when they get out and run at large. I have seen it, the friendliest well behaved dog when at home turns into a monster when he gets out and runs loose. Not all dogs but there are a few loose it when they get out.

#82 ·
Sorry about your cat mmamom. I too am having a little trouble with roaming dogs. Just moved to northern MO and our place is literally in the middle of no where. My nearest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile down the road. He has this black lab that is driving me nuts. My girlfriend almost hit it 2 nights ago. In the middle of the road. Its a hilly, windy road. Blind curves galore. Last night I almost nailed him too.

The kicker was this evening. I have a 8 week old boxer pup and was out in the yard with her goofing around. She gets bored and lays down on the porch steps and I started watering my garden. This friggin lab came around the front of my truck and surprised the hell out of me. The sun had set and this dog is BLACK. My pup gave a yip and he was off to the races. I got to them both just in time. Not sure what that labs intentions were but he coulda eaten my pup. I drop kicked him in the slats and thankfully all ended well.

I been meaning to pay a visit to this guy and let him know his dog is trotting down the middle of the road at night. I love dogs and was thinking maybe the fella isnt aware of what his animal is up too. Well I'll be paying him a visit tomorrow for sure. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and I will be as friendly and respectful as I can but I will not tolerate someone elses animal coming on my property and threatning one of mine. I have chickens and ducks as well and I will protect them.

Hopefully he's a good guy and takes care of the problem.

Reactions: DocWal81
#83 ·
I would talk to other neighbors first and find out a little more about that neighbor, I wouldn’t even mention the dog. If it turns out the neighbor is not the best guy you may be better off just shooting the dog and playing dumb, or just keep kicking it until it stops coming around. The reason I say this is because if the neighbor lets his dog roam there is probably nothing you will do about it. If the dog comes up missing you the first suspect and he will probably blame you. I live in a rural area and most do not fence their dogs in. Most in rural areas understand if their dog is an issue it will end up shot.

#87 ·
Well I met with my neighbor and it went better than I thought it would go, but here's a quite unexpected development: the dog isn't his.

The people I bought this place from were renting it, and according to my neighbor the dog belonged to them. They abandoned all kinds of things here when they were evicted. A car, furniture, tools, and mega junk. Turns out they left their pooch too. Going off what Jim ( my neighbor ) had to say about these people I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

The dog hasn't been back since I drop kicked him, and we didn't see him anywhere along the road like we normally do. Haven't made up my mind exactly what I'm going to do if he does come back. Its a shame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.