Survivalist Forum banner

Winchester Model 12 for HD Question

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  whirlibird 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm pretty new here and was looking to get some opinions. I recently came into possession of a Winchester Model 12 12 Gauge. After some research I found it was made in 1939, but it is still in excellent working condition. It's not the prettiest but doesn't look so bad for 73 years old :D: I also have no intention of selling it.

It has a 28" barrel now, and I was contemplating having it cut down to 18.5". I also have a 870 with a 28" barrel so I still have options with it. I'm very hesitant to do it because of it's age and collect-ability. I believe the the barrel is just too long for home defense, but the lack of the trigger disconnect is definitely appealing.

What does everyone think? :confused:

#2 ·
Please don't cut the barrel down on your Model 12. They are wonderful weapons - perhaps the highest quality mass-produced American shotgun ever made.

Buy a short barrel for your one-in-a-gazillion 870 and be happy. Cutting down a fantastic old gun like that Model 12 would not only destroy its value, but also ruin a gun that deserves far better.

Out of curiosity, is it a full choke, per the markings on the barrel? Does it have matching numbers? I just sold a 20 Gauge M12 with a 1916 date of manufacture.

Take care.

#5 ·
I think you already knew what every one would think about cutting that barrel down before you posted this
As one other posted why not sell it and but an 870 with a short barrel
Or an 1100 or 1187
Or better yet just put the model 12 away for another time
Now all that said it is yours so in the end do what you want with it.......

#6 ·
IF your dead set on cutting the barrel, buy another one. Make sure it functions with the gun fine, and then cut the barrel.

Not sure if there's a number matching or different years style to the barrel, if they look dead on, cut the most beat up one.

An 870 18 HD barrel is about $125.

#7 ·
Okay I'll be the odd one out.

If the finish is cruddy, take the saw to it. Or as mentioned pick up another barrel to chop up.

Model 12's aren't really collectable unless they are in very good or better condition. There are exceptions for special models of course, such as the Heavy Duck Gun.

There are few better scatterguns than the old Model 12's. Heavy? Yup.
Pick up a spare set of springs for it, it's probably gonna need it after all these years.

If you do it, you'll find you have a smoother running shotgun than anything made today that hasn't been worked over by Robar or Scattergun Technologies.

Personally I like the 870's but the Model 12 was and is a better shotgun just too expensive to manufacture and be cost effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.