Survivalist Forum banner

Sighting In new scope...

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GoodOlFroathyOne 
#1 ·
Ok I Never had a scope befor for a gun been iron sites all the time I saw a tasta red dot scope for 50 bucks so I said screw it and bought it.. I mounted it on my ruger 10/22 (wich is my target rifle) Now I need to sight it in and was wondering how many clicks to do with it for zeroing it in all it says is

Each click moves the adjustment 1/2 (half an inch im asuming) at 100 yards, 1/4 at 50 and 1/8 at 25

So I was wondering Say I shoot 1 round at 25 high at say 1 inch and 1 inch to the right how would I adjust that so I can move to 50 feet ?

I just want to know how many clicks per 1 inch so I know were abouts to get it at 100 yards dead on..

for example

25 yards 1 inch high = how many clicks?
50 yards 1 inch high = how many clicks
100 yards ect..... for windage as well

#2 ·
You always move the way you want the bullet to impact, same as with peep sights...

If 1" high then at 25 yards move it 8 clicks down and if 1" right move it 8 clicks left based on what you've mentioned of your scopes adjustments...

50 yards is 4 clicks

100 yards is 2 clicks

#3 ·
move it 8 clicks at 25 yd. but remember that your point of impact and your line of sight are way off at that close and a .22 has alot of drop at 100yd
50yd 4clicks
and 100 its 2 clicks as stated before
so if your scope has external turrets zero it at 25,50,75 and 100yds if possible

#4 ·
At 100 yds I aim for the very top of my paper target and it drops them in around the bulls eye.

Not real accurate at that range but it would do for rabbit size or larger targets.

I'd sight a .22 in at 50 yds and leave it at that.

Anything further out you might want to look at something with a little more punch .22 mag, 22-250 or 22 hornet etc.

#5 ·
I might just do that.. I mean its just for targets and fun stoping power not really an issue with what I use it for I got 4 .22 in total.. 2 bolt 1 with 40x scope set to 150 yards.. 1 with iron sites 2 semi auto 1 just iron sights 1 with the red dot now.. Lots of 22 if I were to go into the wild Id just take the bolt with a scope for fun at the range Ill take the .22 with the red dot.. and the iron sight one ..

#6 ·
Checking CCI's site these are the published ballistics for their

Type..........25 yd.....50 yd.....75 yd.....100 yd
Mini-Mag.......1.5.........2.9.........2.5..........0
Standard.......2.2.........3.8.........3.1..........0
Stinger.........0.7..........1.9.........1.7.........0
Velocitor.......0.9..........2.1.........1.9.........0

So my old sight-in of 1" high at 25 yds will be about 2" low at 100 yds as I mentioned...So a hold on target will work with little holdover/under even when head shooting rabbits but some compensation for squirrels...

#7 ·
with red dots your best accuracy is going to be < 100yds. Depending on the MOA of your dot the dot could cover 4-6 inches at 100 yds. So you are better off zeroing at a close range, like 25m where you can get tight groups and make adjustments there. Then you just adjust range by aiming high or low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.