Survivalist Forum banner

SHTF clothing

12K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  birddog1 
#1 ·
I haven't seen this discussed much so I thought I would post to see what people are doing.

1.What if any kind of extra clothing are people stocking for an extended SHTF event?

2. Are you stocking different clothes from what you normally wear or are you just putting up some extra of what you normally wear.

3. What are some recommendations for some good survival clothing, both for everyday hard manual labor work cloths and inclement weather survival.

What got me thinking about this was that yesterday I was out practicing some wilderness survival skills and got to thinking that besides some of my hunting clothes I don't have a lot of stuff that is really suitable for long term outdoor exposure. I have also noticed that it is kinda of hard to find clothes at normal retailers that aren't made of either 100% cotton or at least have a high cotton content.

#2 · (Edited)
I have worn Carhart pants for years. The ones that I buy, are the cotton canvass with the double front on the legs. I have worn them mostly in industrial settings (I was a machinist, electrician, and millwright) during my working life. I think that they are comfortable, and wear like iron(last a long time).

B01 http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...angId=-1&categoryId=10935&top_category=10931

B136 same as above, but factory washed.

#4 ·
I have extra socks, underwear and t-shirts, as these are the things that have the most "close contact" and need to be washed frequently. My wife and I each have our own BOB with a week's worth of these, kept in Ziploc bags. I don't usually wash pants unless they're actually dirty, and shirts and sweaters get washed after being worn at least a couple of times. It also depends on what I'm doing, such as a normal day at the office versus chopping wood or gardening on a hot summer afternoon.

Likewise, the wear and tear I normally put on different articles of clothing dictates what I buy extra of. I prefer long-sleeves button shirts (easy enough to roll the sleeves up) and buy them on clearance this time of year as stores are starting to stock spring/summer clothes. Menard's often has no-name shirts for dirt cheap, so I keep those around just in case. For jeans, I avoid the brands that wear out fastest, use crappy stitching and/or thin fabric for pockets, and fit weird for the stated size.

Lastly, I like to keep spare gloves, boots and winter coats. Sportsman's Guide is usually a good choice for bargains, and it's definitely worth signing up for their email list just for the clothing prices.

#6 ·
Other than what I wear to work ( animal hospital) most of my clothes are geared towards the outdoors- Carhartt, Shmitz ( or what ever Tractor supply sells), BDUs, camo...
I try to find it on sale and stack it back. I buy more than just my size, in a SHTF I may lose weight, can use for trade item.
Now boots--- that I am lacking depth.

#7 ·
I wear jeans sometimes, but a lot of the time I'm in khakies of one form or another. I particulllary like ****ies khaki work pants and shirts and Propper Public Service Tactical cargo pants and shirts. Light weight ones in the summer and heavy ones in the winter. The ****ies and Propper are both blends and work well in the winter.

For moderate weather I have a good leather safari jacket that is good until it gets down below zero and if I'm wearing insulated underware, it is good even colder than that.

For cold weather I go with Carhartt Arctic bibs and parka w/hood. I plan to get wool long johns at some point to supplement/replace my cotton waffle weave ones as they wear out.

I've not found any moderately priced all wool pants, though shirts are available, rather expensively.

I have quite a few pairs of jersy gloves for working in the field when it isn't too cold and then switch to Wells Lamont insulated work gloves. When it is cold, or freezing rain or I'm around water in the cold times it is Cabela's goretex/thinsulite gloves.

I wear my boots about halfway through their life and then put them up and get new ones. Have four or five pair of good boots at the moment, already broken in.

#16 ·
The key for cold weather is layer, layer, layer. Four or five lighter layers gives you better insulation/warmth than one heavy layer.

A base layer of polypropyline (I just know I spelled that wrong) is a good place to start, the US GI surplus is good stuff, then a layer over that, some jeans (flannel lined is nice) and bibs over that. You'll be good to 30 below if that's what your "pants" look like.

Same general idea for your "shirt". Polypro next to your skin, another larger layer over that, a good shirt, jacket, and then a goretex shell.

Hats are key for the cold. A good synchilla balaclava does a nice job.

A number of surplus stores offer wool pants for under fifty bucks a throw, mostly Swedish and perhaps German surplus. Heavy duty, believe me. Too, the Salvation Army or similar can be a good place to snag wool pants for cheap.

Gloves for working in the cold, mittens offer much superior warmth if you're sensitive to cold like I am (which is a real pain living in Wisconsin...lol)

#8 ·
I wear jeans unless I am working at my career and then they are uniform pants. If/When TSHHTF I will be using those clothes as needed for whatever needs to be done. Luckily I wear the "tactical EMS pants" at work (lots of pockets) so I will easily be able to carry large quantities of stuff and move around.....

Funny thing is I just got my job to reimburse me for the plate carrier and plates I just purchased because I wore them to an incident and when a prisoner/patient tried to punch me I was not injured but the other guy who he did get a punch to land on got some broken ribs.... they are now looking at making us wear them whenever we go to anything involving our PD

#13 ·
Arborwear

I have an awesome heavy duty sweatshirt made by Arborwear that I bought at ****s Sporting Goods
http://www.arborwear.com/

Arborwear started out making clothing for tree-climbers. Tough stuff for guys that need to be limber. I haven't used any of their other stuff but the sweatshirt makes me think they have some good quality products.

I wear Carhartt pants everyday on construction sites, the heavier work pants are very durable. I have one of their heavier jackets that I like too.

#14 ·
I work in construction. So I 'field test' this gear 10 hours a day six days a week.

Pants:

I buy tactical pants. Either "Propper" or the 24-7 series from TRU-SPEC. Lots of pockets and 65% Poly. Double knee, etc. The Proppers come with a web belt that gets nice and tight to keep your pants from falling down when they are full of gear.

I like the 24-7 better for tactical. I can carry 2 handguns, 6 mags and my Buck model 119 without showing much print. Plus a multi tool flashlight and my cell phone. But then they get heavy and you need a good belt.

I agree with the Carhartt pants, as well.

T-shirts:

Can't have enough! I buy the pocket ones from Walmart for $4. They hold up really well to washing and come in about 20 colors.

Socks:

Lots of socks. That's all I can say. I gotta have 100 pairs of socks.

Shirts:

Don't buy D!ckies shirts! They suck and don't last! I know they are cheap. But the reason they are cheap is obvious once you have had a few.

I find Docker's brand button downs the best value for the buck and they hold up really nicely.

Coats:

Carhartt. It is the only correct answer for a 'work' coat that needs to stand up to wear and tear. I am sure there are 100 other "tacti-cool" coats. But if I could only buy 1 coat to last me forever, it would be a Carhartt.

Gloves:

Get good gloves! More than 1 pair. Get good cold weather ones. Some nice leather ones for work. Get those girly little mittens, because they will fit into your manly work gloves and still let you have feeling in your hands to do work.

"Work Shirts"

That's what my wife calls them. lol
Basically, those quilted shirt/jacket things that are at every Walmart, Sears, Tractor Supply, etc...They are usually quilted and in some manly lumberjack plaid. Some have pockets both at the breast and also 'jacket pockets. many have built in hoods. I find these indispensible. I have probably 10 in varies models and weights. They are usually about $15.

Boots

Brand doesn't matter. Just make sure they are comfy and spend the extra $ to get the Dr. Scholl's inserts (buy back sets). I personally buy Craftsman.

If you live any place cold DO NOT get steel toe! Them things will get colder than a well diggers a$$ and your feet will freeze all day. Get composite toe instead. Avoid the 'hiking' boots. You can't kick sh!t out of your way with those. And having to spend all day bending over because you can't kick sh!t makes for a long day.

AND PLENTY OF UNDERWEAR! Remember what your mother taught you! You don't want to be caught in the end of the world with dirty drawers!

Thats my 2 cents anyway. Hope it is a little helpful.

-Chin

#15 ·
I stock mostly what I wear. But I work outdoors, so much of my attire is already geared towards that. A lot of wool and moisture wicking clothing for both sides of extreme outdoor exposures. Polyester blends are good as well as Flannel - I like them both. I wear base layers underneath other garments in Winter and just by themselves during Spring/Summer/Fall. Base Layers seem to keep me warm in the Winter and cool in the Summer.

Also any articles of clothing that really hold up in everyday hard manual labor. I've noticed that wool socks tend to last longer than cotton. They keep your feet warmer in the Winter and cooler in the Summer too. Probably can't go wrong with jeans or any sort of rugged work pant. And find a good pair of sturdy boots/shoes that are comfortable when on your feet for hours and have a reputation for lasting.

Gloves are probably a no brainer...but don't forget about hats. Hats can keep your head warm in the Winter. But they can also shelter you from the hot Summers. I am never without my Scala Outback hat. But I am sure any sort of cap or hat would do ya good.

#18 ·
#19 ·
I live in my BDU-style pants. They are comfy, durable, and I LOVE my pockets. My fiance, on the other hand, lives in his jeans and Carharts. He has several sets, of each.
Big agreement with the layering comments. Even in daily life, we layer. Gotta love the unpredictable nature of the Midwest weather!

#23 ·
I have been thinking about this too recently and I found several cold weather clothes on clearance at Target for my kids. I understand these aren't the same as some of the better outdoor clothing, but it's still warm, waterproof pants and things that were only $3 - $5 a piece after 75% off. I have also wondered is anyone buying extra boots and shoes in a few different sizes for a child's changing feet? What I buy to fit them one year probably won't fit the next. Right now is a good time to get winter clothes at most places though because they are on sale to make room for summer clothes.

#25 ·
****ies and carharts in plain earthy tones.

I have a thing about boots. I buy Carolina's whenever I can. I have six brand new pairs I only wore long enough to break in. I treated them and have them stored away. I have clothes aplenty, and could probably make clothing if I had too. If I couldn't, I'm sure my GF could.

One thing I can't do, or do well is make good quality footwear. There are few things worse than old worn out leaky boots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.