Survivalist Forum banner

Do I need oxygen absorbers for salt and sugar?

33K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  stephaniek989 
#1 ·
Do I need to add oxygen absorbers to my salt and sugar mylar bags?

There are very different opinions on shelf life of sugar and salt. Some sources show they have an indefinite shelf life, while others say 6 months. I am planning to store them in sealed mylar bags in buckets and I live in a non-humid climate.

#9 ·
Rice is put in salt shakers to prevent clumping. Its not really needed because most companies put a chemical in salt that prevents clumping. Rice is only needed if you are using organic salt.
Not true, I still have salt that clumps. Not the organic stuff either. So either I'm buying crappy salt or you are misinformed.

#11 ·
Dude, is that sarcasm? It's in books so it must be true! I have read several old books that said if someone got snakebitten you had to cut them and suck the poison out. And we all know that's crap. Don't believe everything that you read, to steal the motto of Alpha Rubicon, Facta Non Verba, actions not words.

#12 ·
Not everyone uses oxygen absorbers. I have had completely satisfactory results using a shop vac to remove air from food packs and dessicant packs to take care of any residual moisture. The results have been most favorable even after nearly 25 years in storage.

#13 ·
No oxygen absorbers are required for salt or sugar (and many other things, such as baking soda, citric acid and many others). Moisture prevention isn't required for salt or sugar either if you're willing break it up if it should harden. Sugar can be stored as simple syrup, salt as saltwater probably forever.

Pulling out oxygen is really only useful for things that have the ability to rot as a method of growth, if you will. Almost anything that has the ability to rot and could use a oxygen absorber are candidates for moisture removal as well. In some cases, if you can draw the moisture you don't need to worry about the oxygen at all, salted meats like jerky or hams are great examples but I'm sure there are more that could fit into the mold.

Rick

#14 ·
That's true too Nom, buit hey if you let it stick together then to have salt blocks for the cute little deer to come up and lick. Right before you put a round in them, dinner for a month anyone?

#16 ·
it will take your money too, and make everything you eat taste bland and give you no nutrition. Will also burn up in contact with the bible, Koran, other religious objects....

#17 ·
Just to echo what has been already been said here. I found out first hand, why you do not want to put O2 absorbers in sugar. I once canned sugar at our local LDS cannery and accidentally threw in the O2 packets. When I opened the cans, a few years later the sugar was solid as a rock, and we had to chip it out with a knife then scrape it through a metal sieve to return it to it's granular form.

#18 ·
suger and salt products are good to go as they are might get hard but thats about it,add a box of baking soda to the pail,should take some of the moisture and keep it fresher good for baking if you need it as well as bakeing powder.i had some rice and oats stored for 20 yrs opened it up and it looked good but didnt taste it ,going to replace it with fresh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.