Survivalist Forum banner

Best all around rifle...

28K views 56 replies 38 participants last post by  DCMan 
#1 ·
What would the best all around rifle for you be and what you do to make it that way?

I have an AR-15 set up the way I want it and use it for that: It goes to work with me, it goes camping with me and even hunting (though the Model 8 is my hunting rifle).

Just looking for ideas on things I can add to my AR but I know some like bolt actions, some like larger calibers and some prefer AK type rifles.

#5 ·
Rifles are like any other tool. You pick the right tool for the right job. I own several different types of tools. If I plan to bag a deer or feral pig, I opt for a good .308/7.62 NATO rifle. For sniping I'd go with a good .308/7.62 NATO or maybe the newer 6.5 Grendel. For urban combat, I'd go with a scoped AK-47 type rifle of some kind. For small game I'd use a .22 LR caliber rifle. But for general, all-round use I'm toying with having or using a scoped .223/5.56 rifle for now. I'm playing with what the Filipino Marine Scout-Snipers have done with their M-16s and turned them into precision or sniper rifles. They have a 3 by 9 variable power scope on their rifles that they seem to be using to good effect for the conditions in which they work and live.

http://users.belgacom.net/gc378379/sniping/Filipino MSSR.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSSR_rifle

Right now I am just playing with the idea that the MSSR have started and I may switch later on but we'll see.

#6 ·
I like m1a's and m1 carbines. They are pretty much the same rifle. Just in different calibers. One is light as a feather and for close range, the other is heavier and better for longer ranges.

Both are very accurate and both are reliable.

.. I've tried ak's , and AR's and don't like them much.

I plan on drilling a hole threw a penny and sowing it to my m1 carbine sling that way I can use it to field strip the rifle without a screw driver :)

#7 ·
What's the best car,I want to do the Indianapolus 500 and get 50 mpg on the highway.
Makes the same amount of sense.
If you only have one gun and loose that gun you have no gun .
If you have only one gun but thee is no more ammo available for it you have no gun.
You wouldn't use a shot gun for sniping nor would you use a 7mm mag for quail.
Any good mechanic will tell you one wrench is not enough to fix the whole car .
Home protection
12 gage semi auto ,or pump.
or 9mm and up hand gun.
If you are armed worse than your opponant ,you will loose .
Your opponants will likely be armed better than most, having taken them from those that did not know how the use the weapon they had.

#9 ·
Yup. Agreed You have the AR setup, seem to like it. Consider getting an extra upper in say, 7.62x39mm for hunting deer close in. Or a 6.5 grendel all scoped for longer range deer. Or a 450 bushmaster for large game, up close. Power of 20 ga slug only small cap magazine.

Same gun. Different uppers. Different calibers, functions.

#12 ·
The first thing that needs to be defined is what is the maximum effective range you want it to be able to deliver a well aimed shot and into how small/large of a target.

Personally I like the Rifle Skill Courses of Fire and these will definently separate the effective rifles from the ineffective rifles in a hurry.

These are from the Ft. Frog website which by the way has some excellent information on other subjects near and dear to our hearts as well like homemade bore cleaners etc.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/courses.htm

Not everyone in the east has access to a 300 yard range to try The Rifle Ten and it could be modified for 200 yards and 10" paper plates used for the target with ranges from 200 to 150 or 100 yards and 6" paper plates used for ranges of 100 down to 50 yards.

Basically every military in the world sets 300 yards or 300 meters as THE STANDARD short range target for training. If the paper plates can be engaged and hit repeatedly you have a good rifle/shooter match up. Any rifle that is capable of printing 3" at 100 yards should do well on this course.

Then again if your rifle/ammo combo does not deliver 3 MOA or smaller you might best consider something that will. Note the name of the game in these courses is speed and accuracy and has nothing to do with throwing large amounts of lead down range. In other words in a survival situation you best be concerned with making every shot deliver on target because you won't be able to pop down to the hardware store and get more thusly the ability to reload can play a critical factor in just how effective you are.

Considering in a hunting situation you are likely to find it difficult to carry over 100 rounds of center fire ammunition and more than likely 50 would be the maximum. Troops in WW1 were issued 100 round ammo belts. (20 stripper clips of 5 rounds). WW2 10 8 round clips for M1 Garand. Same in Korea.

If other situations arise then you will be much better equipped to handle it. If you pick the right rifle it could be effective at 400 and beyond. For instance a 308 zeroed at 300 yards and held 12" high at 400 will generally get you right in the center area of a target.

#14 · (Edited)
Personally, I would be happy with a 336 in .30-30 fitted wth a 1-4X scope and a nice sling.
For ammo, I'd do 190 gr. Buffalo Bore rounds, because the big bullet can drop anything we have up here that stands on 4 legs, but it will also kill smaller game (like deer) just as well as a lighter bullet.
However, my feeling for sometime now, has been that the best rig one could have for hunting in the PNW, where I live, is an '80's-'90's Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 fitted with a 1.5-6X scope (or something approximating that power range).
Powerful enough to take the largest game we have up here and flat shooting over a pretty fair distance.
On top of that, the whole rig might hit 7 lbs., so its light on your shoulder.

#16 ·
You Muricans make me cry.

If Trudy has his way, in Canuckistan soon you will not ask about best rifle to own, government will tell you what rifle you can own...Hunter? Here is new Daisy. Hunt big animal? Use more pumps.

I cannot even consider buying most of the ones listed in this thread.

• Sad
Reactions: DCMan and TENNGRIZZ
#22 ·
There is no best "all around rifle". Guns are tools and each has its pros and cons given any individual scenario. That said, I recommend starting with a semi-auto .22lr and going from there as you can afford it. I lost most of my guns in the 2016 Saddle Fire and the first thing I did was buy an AR-15 in 5.56 then two Marlin model 60's in .22lr. One with open sights and the other with a scope. I then rounded out my rifle armory with a Ruger M-77 Hawkeye in .300WM. I did save my KelTec SU16-CA in 5.56 and would highly recommend it if you can only afford one rifle.

#24 · (Edited)
While you “may” have one rifle for all of your big game hunting.....I do. It’s difficult to have a rifle for big game at potentially long ranges, and a rifle for potential close quarters combat/defense. You hunting rifle may perform quite well for long distance defense of self and family ......probably not the best for close range multiple targets!

I also suggest a hunting rifle of larger bore diameter, especially if your a hand loader. A moderately large bore .338 and up can be downloaded (maybe even cast bullets) for small game and conservation of components (powder).

For the hand loader that does not cast his/her own....I highly recommend a .35 caliber rifle. For example, if you go with a .35 Whelen (the lower end of my preferred velocity) which is easily formed with brass from the very popular 30-06, the 350 Griffin &Howe or the .358 STA ( both of which can be made with .375 H&H brass or Starline brass for the .358, and the .358 Norma Magnum (brass from Norma).

These cartridges (the Whelen is a bit velocity handicapped for true long range) with good high BC jacketed or mono bullets can work quite well out to 1K yards. For the shooter that doesn’t cast, you can use handgun bullets designed for 9 mm, 38 or .357 for your light loads....pretty darn handy if you hand load. The handgun bullets would expand quite well at low velocities making them a decent, close range deer (or similarly sized animal) load! For the bullet caster, the .35 diameter cast bullet will give an adequate wound on smallish big game!

While a smaller diameter (30 cal and under) cast bullet is lethal, they may take a bit longer to complete the task!

There ya go ....answers to questions that are probably of little interest to you! 😁 memtb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.