Survivalist Forum banner

E-Tool = Shovel,Axe,Saw,Mallet,Pick,Hoe,Frying Pan,etc.

22K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  Juvat462 
#1 ·
I'm considering an Entrenching Tool (E-Tool) for my vehicle.

An E-Tool can be used for:

- Shovel
- Axe (if one side edge is sharpened)
- Saw (if the other side edge has teeth)
- Mallet
- Pick (if it has one built in)
- Hoe (no not that kind)
- Prying Tool
- Nail Puller (put a teardrop hole somewhere on the shovel blade)
- Paddle
- Frying Pan
- Noise Maker (signal rescuers or repel animals by banging)

The axe feature appeals to me for camp-craft and self defense.

I don't include a frying pan in my cooking gear so this feature could be useful on the rare occasion I do fry something.

If used as a paddle, dry immediately.

Here are my questions:
- Which do you think is better, entrenching tools with folding handles or solid handles?

Folding handles are easier to store, but are less durable than solid. Solid handles: More durable, harder to store.

- What other uses can an entrenching tool be used for?

And now for some pictures

See less See more
#3 ·
Weapon

Nice Mono-pod for rifle (depending on handle length when stuck in ground)

Smacking the dogs nose when its stealing the steak off the grill.

Snow tent anchor.

Truck hood holder-uper (if a spring breaks)

Easy way to slide down a hill in the snow and aviod hostiles (if the blades big enough)

Spare jack handle (with extra noch cut into side of blade.)

I think you had it pretty much covered... some of the rest was just being silly ;)

#4 ·
Since e-tools are made out of sheet metal, using them as an axe, saw, pry tool and nail puller should be limited, since you may ruin it for it's intended purpose. Even as a mallet, it's kind of "iffy".

I have used an e-tool a couple of times when gutting deer. It could probably be used for dispatching trapped animals. I know that rattle snakes don't like my e-tool!

If you're going to cook omelets on an e-tool, the wood handle would be better. If you have the folding type, they're usually all steel, and heat transfers much easier into steel. With the wood handle, you'd be able to remove the shovel end from the campfire without burning your hands.

#5 ·
For the cost, and if you intend to put your Etool to a lot of use, I'd go with the solid handle. I have one of each, and very seldom use my folding handle Etool. I carry it only when I am backpacking and weight and size are my primary concerns, if I were looking at an extended trip (like covering the entire AT) I'd find a way to take my solid one, and cope with the size.

#9 ·
I have a folding-handle with one edge serrated. It stays in my truck. I'd recommened that you get one. If nothing else, it's a handy tool to take camping or just keep in your car/truck in the winter for inclement weather/conditions.

#10 ·
#12 ·
I used to have a military truck with a rack on the back for 'engineer tools' pick, shovel, axe etc. it was mounted to the tailgate, the tools kept falling off the rack. I think the Paris-Dakar rigs have them bolted inside the vechicle. There are improved tool racks sold by 4X4 supply houses. If you have a welder and other tools yo can make your own custom rack to fit your rig.

#13 ·
Got to grab one of the heavy steel german ones, circa 1950-1970

I think similar to the East German one mentioned above... they are a far cry from the crap tri-folds all over US surplus stores... I had a friend in the forest service who had one he had ground an edge on, never carried a hatchet again.

#18 ·
I have a trifolder model, very handy to have on the rack of my motorbike.

track was washed out, so I used it as a pick and took the edges off the washout, was enough to ride down one side and up the other.

#19 ·
i have the trifold E-tool, and its come in handy so far. It was solid enough to dig out my car in the blizzard we had over the winter, punched right through compacted snow and ice. My marine buddy has heard of people sharpening one side of their tools, not for an ax, but for commies lol.

#20 ·
The tri-fold tools are good when you need it to be compact. They fold away nice. The longer handled ones are good for fighting, digging and all sorts of other uses. If I were moving around a lot, I would want a tri-fold. If I were working out of a fixed or defensive position I would want a longer handled one. One other thing... Attach your e-tool to your rucksack and not your pistol belt or vest. Attaching it to your personal gear instead of your rucksack means that it will NOT beat you to death on the side you're wearing it.

#22 ·
One thing I didn't see here is tri fold shovels while just about useless for digging....much like any other short handle shovel....are a handy stool for passing.......stool...... they can be locked in a kind of a Z pattern and used as a ...stool for not havin' to squat.
You just drop trou and rest a cheek on the handle part.
You'll want to clean it real well before using it for a field expedient skillet after.
I keep an Ames shovel in my Jeep.
And a pick broken down.
If you are going to use an ET for digging get a good pick.
You'll need it.

Reactions: Te Hopo
#24 ·
And have a much stronger tool in the process.
Only cut as little as possible off the handle, the longer you leave it, the easier it will be to use.
What about just a spade?
Already a compact package with sturdy handle.

#25 ·
That's what I did with my Ames.
It's a regular pointed shovel and I cut about a foot off the handle.

The handle itself is a nifty persuader if that kind of thing is still legal in your area.
It sure isn't here in Kali.

#27 ·
hmm well I have used mine for some digging, root chopping, and have chopped down a 2-3 in green tree. I was impressed considering it was dremeled but was far from sharp since its used. Im still debating keepint vs something better for wood processing. If I pick up a bigger blade to chop Id prob get rid of it....ilike the idea of having something to hoe with for water control etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.