Survivalist Forum banner

Mossberg MVP Patrol

52K views 61 replies 40 participants last post by  marineimaging 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I like the concept very much. I've heard some complaints on the varmint version about feeding reliably, but read other reviews saying it was fine. I love my 7615 pump and would like to add one of these to my 5.56 battery. I'd really like to see a 243 win version built that would take the AR-10 magazines in the predator version. Accuracy tests have at or below 1 MOA on the 5.56 predator and varmint versions on all reviews I've seen, and I'd think the short stiff barrel on the patrol would do as well.

#7 ·
I just picked one up last week. The short barrel predator, I have not been able to get out and try it but am impressed so far. It was a little stiff at first but after a good cleaning and some cycling with snap caps it seems to have smoothed out a little bit. Can't wait to put some rounds through it.
I also added a Bushnell Trophy red dot on it and it still has nice balance.Just a quick note, it does not come with Iron Sights, wish it did.

#8 ·
I own one of the original MVPs, mounted with a 2-10x45 scope, and use it extensively when coyote hunting back home. I've e-mailed Mossberg marketing department requesting one in 6.8 SPCII or .308 for the deer woods, and got a response back that they're investigating doing just that in the not too distant future, and that my e-mail would get passed along to their engineers.

Can't wait to see how this goes in the next little bit!

#16 ·
Any news on this one as far as availability? I 'm periodically checking Mossberg's site and it is not there. A couple of months ago I heard that September was the tentative time of release but there are some already for sale out there. None at any of my local stores though.. So have they hit the shelves yet?

#19 ·
There is a a 5.56 on the shelf at our shop I eyeball everytime I walk by it. It is a nice handy size and would make for a fun gun. I know there are several people that have already swapped .300 Blackout barrels into them. I keep holding out for a .308 version.

#21 ·
They are 7 pounds unloaded and sans scope. I have ARs that don't weigh that much loaded. So you can carry a heavy rifle, that fires slow, and has a 16" barrel with "Mossberg accuracy"? No thanks.

Its great they take AR mags but you would be much better served inserting that mag in to an AR15. These are CHEAP and that's all they have going for them.

#23 ·
My guess is the pencil barrel on that AR will start stringing rounds after the 2nd shot, whereas the barrel on the MVP is thicker and more rigid. Equally so comparing a 1500 dollar AR to a 700 dollar mvp is not fair, nor intelligent. Just like comparing an Savage Axis to a Remington 700 police.

#22 ·
I am interested in the .308 big time - I currently have a .308 precision rifle in a 700 AAC-SD w/ Manners T5A DBM stock. I realized the other day it went from a $680 Remington 700 AAC-SD to a $2500+ "Sniper Rifle System" in a hurry. I'd like to add at least one more if not two , two + , .308s, 1-something to carry and "fight" with, and 2- something to carry around my new 30 acres of land as a half-aced 'Ranch Rifle' if you will.

My idea was going to be , build around a Savage Hog Hunter because they're smaller, fairly cheap enough .308 bolt action built by a great company and could be a great build. But I would go for a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308 definitely.... Especially if I was able to somehow combine magazines, with the MVP and "AR-308" type build sharing Magpul .308 mags. That would be swizzzzeat.

#24 ·
These are awesome guns!!! I had the chance to use one the other day, because one of my team members picked one up to serve as our short range precicion rifle. Mossberg sent my team a version that is unavailable to the public. It is accurate to about 900 yards with high quality ammo. Im talking like match grade precision ammo. These guns are within about an MOA at 350-400 yards. I would recommend that anyone looking for a great scout rifle at a good price

This post has been deleted
#32 ·
If the rail is high enough to block the iron sights, then this would be a deal breaker in my case.

Using the scope as well as the iron sights without removing the scope first is possible on some rifles, as they do have the "see thru" rings, but there is a trade off involved.

Using the see thru type rings will end up with an optic that is fairly high off of the stock, resulting in a "chin" weld, instead of a cheek weld.

11B

#33 ·
I’ve got some time hands-on with the Mossberg MVP (.223/5.56mm) rifle.

It’s ok. Not Great, but it’s ok.

It’ll shoot inside one moa with the right ammunition, optics and shooter.

The capability to accept the AR magazine is a neat feature. This will definitely increase the time between reloads and reduce the reload time. However, after ten rapid-fire shots the barrel gets HOT. There is no hand-guard like military bolt action rifles have; so a glove on the support hand is suggested.

Avoid a glove on your firing hand because the magazine latch is down in a little hole that a gloved finger may not fit in.

Since this little rifle uses a detachable magazine a conventionally mounted telescopic sight will work great. There is no need to clear the receiver for the use of stripper clips. Redundant iron sights are a theoretical benefit. In my personal experience I have never required back-up sights. See through mounts, rapid detachable mounts or tip-off mounts are required to facilitate the use of back-up iron sights. None of these mounting techniques are particularly secure or ergonomically optimal and represent, in my opinion, an unnecessary compromise. I just don’t think back-up iron sights are all that important. If you’re genuinely concerned that your optical sight might fail, then carry a back-up optic in the rings pre-zeroed for rapid replacement.

Tactically, this rifle is at a serious disadvantage when pitted against a semiautomatic rifle.

The real advantage of the MVP is that it’s legal in almost any jurisdiction and it might provide the shooter a small edge in intrinsic accuracy over a semiautomatic.

Otherwise it’s a handy rig to have in the truck when you go out to check fence.

#34 ·
Here is what I have found so far about the soon to be released MVP 762 Patrol

1. BARREL: 1/10 twist, medium weight, non chrome lined, 7.62MM NATO chamber. 16.25 in and 18.5 in length, and threaded muzzle with a flash hider.

2. STOCK : Synthetic or laminate. Both have sling swivel studs installed.

3. SIGHTS : Iron leaf sights mounted on bbl. ( Might be model dependent).
Optics rail over the receiver.

4. Magazine fed, and able to utilize M14 as well as SR25 mags.

5. Weight is around 7lbs - 7.5 lbs unloaded.

Note: The above info is from research only, and haven't confirmed any of this from first hand experience.

My interest in this rifle will depend on the actual production, and especially the final cost involved when they do release the above rifle for sale....(supossedly by the end of summer)

A threaded bbl = A rifle already gtg for a can.

A provision for mounting optics over the receiver that does not interfere with the iron sights = NVS, and other optics utilizing quik detatch rings.

The 7.62 NATO chamber and 18.5in bbl length = Very similar to my M14S in this aspect.

In my case, it will come down to the final cost of the rifle, and also if they ever come out with a left hand bolt.:)

The GSR is close, but didn't cut it in terms of cost.

The Savage "hog" rifle is another that came close, but no left hand bolt for it, and the cost is a tad high for what I want to put down for this idea of mine.

Anyone have an idea of what the actual cost will be? (7.62x51mm version)

11B

#35 ·
I was looking on gallery of guns' gun genie, and MSRP runs from $681-$1098 depending on model. Barrel lengths range from 16.25(patrol) to 24(varmint). The only one with iron sights is the patrol version, and that is the only version with the factory threading as well. I would prefer to see either an 18/18.5 with threads or a 20 in with threads. BTW availability on all versions right now is ZERO lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.