Survivalist Forum banner

traping tips

6K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Hunter4488 
#1 ·
hello i am a beginer with traping and i was looking for some tips and tricks from the experts. also i would like advice on using snares.
thanx in advance

#7 ·
I would subscribe to these two magazines to start out with and read everything I could get my hands on
http://www.trapperpredatorcaller.com/GeneralMenu/

http://www.furfishgame.com/

you tube has so many trapping video now ,watch them

your wanting to start out with some of the harder critters to trap with the fox,you can do it just hard for a beginner with no experience.

I like Duke traps and http://www.duketraps.com/ and make my own snares http://www.snareshop.com a beginner with snare be careful around places with dogs or cats ...
I use 220 killer traps a lot and although not good for fox,great with a bucket set and *****.
I use pocket sets and dirt hole sets glad to see some new interest and start reading and there are tips and hardware that you can use like swivels and cables to make secure catches and try to be selective and learn about baits and lures http://www.markjuneslures.com/Raccoon Lures & Baits.htm
http://www.baitandluremakers.com/index.cgi

these are my personal favorite http://www.blackiesblend.com/ordering.html

good luck and keep me posted on your progress and any questions
mike

#9 ·
the KY Fish and Wildlife and I know Ohio Dept of Fish and Game has one.if this puter gets a little faster today I'll do a search.
I sold my stuff to a guy out of Mt Orab Oh and there is a neighbor of mine in Harrodsburg that sold his to a Nat buyer that would come through KY ,more later

#11 ·
Clint Locklear
DVDs - by Author - Clint Locklear DVDs | Schmitt Enterprises Inc
Price Qty
DVDS - CLINT LOCKLEAR
New! Locklear - LURE & BAIT MAKING
with Clint Locklear / Predator Control Group

Tips, Tricks and Methods

Lure and Bait Making is a fascinating undertaking. It is a thrill to catch an animal from your own scent. Clint Locklear is sharing some of the tips and tricks, so you can make your own lure and bait. There is no way that a 3 hour video can teach you everything about lure and bait making. That would take hundreds of hours to cover every aspect of lure making. This video is to head you in the right direction and how not to make common mistakes, that cause a beginning lure maker to give up. Clint turns loose some information that would take years and thousands of dollars to figure out on your own.

3 hours. Copyright 2010

New! Locklear - CAT COLLECTOR
by Clint Locklear

Follow along with Clint Locklear from Predator Control Group as he explains in detail his system for taking numbers of bobcats anywhere in the country. For four hours, Clint drills down on commercial cat trapping, not hobby or sport trapping methods. Clint’s system allows you to attack a cat population, get them caught and get to the next group of cats. You will understand how a cat works a set and why general predator set are not a high percentage bobcat set. Besides the instruction side of the Cat Collector DVD, you will see several cat working sets, getting caught and fighting the trap in Night Vision Footage! If you are wanting to learn a serious cat system, you will not be disappointed.

4 hours. Copyright 2010

Locklear - TEACHERS OF THE NIGHT - BEAVER
by Clint Locklear

Keith Harkleroad and Clint Locklear guide you through the REAL world of Beaver. You will see in clear night vision footage, over 60 Beaver to watch and learn from. Not only will you see Beaver get caught, but misses, refusals and the true Beaver habits. This DVD is for the man who sets a trap and wonders what goes on in the darkness of the night. Not only will you become a better trapper; you will be humbled, entertained, and fascinated. This DVD will change the way you trap, that is if you want to be the best trapper you can be. The teachers are the animals themselves, not a trapper.

2 hours.

Locklear - TEACHERS OF THE NIGHT - COYOTE - DIRT HOLE
by Clint Locklear (Predator Control Group)

A two-hour DVD on the actions and patterns of coyotes around dirt holes. Clear night vision footage that shows the trapper how a coyote will and will not work a dirt hole. See for yourself what it takes to keep a coyote at your set for several minutes to three hours. You will probably never set your trap in front of a hole again. For the first time in history, you can let the coyote teach you, not by a man’s theory.

2 hours.

Locklear - TEACHERS OF THE NIGHT - COYOTE - FLAT SET

Predator Control Group is proud to show you how coyotes work flat sets. The more a coyote trapper knows, the more coyotes he will catch. Half of this DVD is shot in night vision footage and half is shot in digital day time footage. Now you can learn how a coyote really works a set, not just a theory on how a coyote works a set.
1 hour & 45 minutes. Copyright 2009

Locklear - TEACHERS OF THE NIGHT - RED FOX

Predator Control Group (Clint Locklear) is proud to bring you a look into the night to help you become a better fox trapper. You will see several red fox working dirt holes, flat sets, and bait sets. Once you see for yourself how a red fox works a set, you will have the edge in your trapping to catch more fox and catch them faster. You will be amazed and entertained.

1 hour & 45 minutes. Copyright 2009

Locklear - TEACHERS OF THE NIGHT - RACCOON

Raccoon are child’s play to catch, right? I guess that is true for the ones we catch, but what about the 2-8 that we as trappers don’t catch at a set. You will learn a new way we as trappers should be gang setting. The old way of stringing 2-6 sets on a stretch of creek is missing the boat. You will see why you are killing your numbers if you drown a **** at a set. Again the camera does not lie. The habits of the **** are not what trappers have read about all these years. If you want to take more ****, you have to understand what a **** does at a set. You have to understand how a **** reacts to a conibear and oh yes, they know it’s there. One thing will become clear to you is that a raccoon is not a simple animal to catch. The way a raccoon uses his nose and sense of feel is nothing short of amazing. It’s up to you, stay in the past and catch your normal amount of **** or you can start working on the other 300-800 percent that we as trappers are missing each year.

Locklear - BOARS GONE WILD
by Clint Locklear, Randy Smith (Predator Control Group)
Randy shows how to rack up **** numbers in the dead of winter. Snow, ice and single digit temperature can be beat and the prime big boar ***** you will be catching are the money makers. Been told that **** hibernate in the dead of winter, not so. Watch as Randy catches 496 big, prime **** in 20 checks in the middle of a severe PA winter, during Jan and Feb. When competition has put away their **** traps for the year, you will be rack’n up **** in the ice and snow.
2-1/2 hours.

Locklear - The ART of PROFESSIONAL BEAVER CONTROL
by Clint Locklear

If you are a professional beaver control trapper, this video will explain how to take every beaver in the colony and how to grow your ADC business to its fullest potential. Four hours of pure, intense, on line instruction from professional control trapper, Clint Locklear. Trap modification and usage. Proficient beaver snaring. Castor, food, and curiosity lures explained. How to set up low banks with footholds. Trapping high and dry with footholds. Beaver dams explained in detail. How to lower your non-target catches. Proper set location.

4 hours.

Locklear - SPEED PROCESSING BEAVER
by Clint Locklear

Learn how to skin any beaver in 4 to 5 minutes average time. Learn how you can flesh any beaver in 12 to 15 minutes start to finish. See how to give any beaver hoop a Canadian oval shape. Watch how a pro puts up beaver and how easy beaver processing can be. See many time saving tools and methods.

79 minutes.

Locklear - PUTTING UP OTTER for the TOP LOT
by Clint Locklear

Every year there is a large amount of money lost to improper fur handling. Learn how you can put up your own otter and protect them from the elements and fur singe. Also you will learn to skin, flesh and board your otter properly. There are several tricks that make your job as a fur handler easier. Otter prices are up and it’s up to you to properly handle your fur to get Top Lot prices.

80 minutes.

Locklear - OTTER'LY SIMPLE
by Clint Locklear & Newt Sterling

Follow Professional Trappers Clint Locklear and Newt Sterling across Tennessee, North Carolina, and Louisiana trapping otter. Clint and Newt will show and explain locations on mountain streams, farmland, swamps, beaver flows, coastal waterways, impoundments, ponds, and fish farms. All methods of trapping otter will be covered – snares, body grip and foothold traps. You will see several toilets and how you can set them up for successful otter trapping. This is an instructional course on targeting otter – not just catching a few by accident.

2 hours & 44 minutes.

Locklear - RIVER'N
by Clint Locklear & Newt Sterling

Join Newt Sterling and Clint Locklear on their river trap and snare lines. It starts in the rivers and creeks of Tennessee and ends up in Eastern North Carolina. Learn how to take red fox, coyote, bobcats, grey fox, raccoon, and beaver from boat and canoe. Explains how to run a productive predator line on the river. Shows red fox being snared in thick cover on the river. This is an instructional tape that covers footholds, body grips, and snares. Locations are covered in detail. Newt and Clint explain how to work the water and riverbanks to become a more successful trapper.

Approximately 2 hours.

Locklear - HIGH PERFORMANCE SNARING - Vol 1
by Clint Locklear

Snares are fast, efficient, and a proven fur taker. Follow Clint Locklear on his land and water trap lines. Clint explains snaring for the beginner and experienced snare man. He covers his Ambush kill area system that he uses to snare up to 700 animals a year. Location is important with traps, but twice as important with snares. Clint explains where he snares and why. Come along and learn how you can be a High Performance numbers snare man.

* Coyotes, Cats, **** , Fox, Beaver, Mink, and Otter
* Several Snare Systems to Speed Up Your Operation
* How to Run Your Line to Cover Lots of Ground and Several Hundred Snares a Day
* Covers Both Water and Land Snaring

3 hours.

Locklear - HIGH PERFORMANCE SHARING - Vol 2
by Clint Locklear

Clint goes into greater depth and deeper detail in the art of high performance snaring. Follow along as we get into the head of a professional snare man. Learn what Clint thinks as he plans what strategy he uses to snare several hundred animals a year. You will understand what you need to be thinking in a split second and how to see a snare location and apply all the important snare rules that keep your snares full of fur. Location is important with traps but twice as important with snares. Clint explains where he snares and why. Covers both water and land snares. Come along and learn how you can be a High Performance numbers snare man.

Locklear - YEAR LONG BLITZKREIG
by Clint Locklear

Have you ever wondered what a fulltime trapper’s life is like, not only on the good days, but all days? It’s not always pretty, but if you want to follow in the “life style” you can now see what you are getting into. The convention season, making lures, modifying and building gear, supply business, writing books and making videos, then the season starts. Clint traps Iowa, Tennessee, Alabama and Texas and his season is never ending. This is the real life of a fulltime money trapper. Some of the footage may be harsh and there is some language that may not be suitable for children. There has never been a DVD put together like this one. Loaded with quality hardcore info and lots of it.
4 hours.

#15 ·
I made a few when I was pretty young and just started trapping. I caught a few possums and nothing lg.I started using a lg Havahart and took some big ***** and then I was doing nuisance animal control and had quite a few traps and with the right bait can catch about anything.
There are many plans and types and some others here may have ready plans and if I can find that Indian trap site they had several also.
I had box traps for muskrats and what a feeling when you pick it up and pull out 4 rats,that the most that I ever took in one.

#19 ·
***** just depends on location and time of the year,sweet bait ,fish,I like a crawdad paste and sweet gland I get from Blackies.If your in close to houses a fish based lure or bait might attract cats so gland lures ,peanut butter on a pc of bread has always worked well.marshmellow
Fox that.s a pretty broad question ,lot's of variables.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.