Survivalist Forum banner

Missouri edible and useful plants?

19K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Lobo Wolf 
#1 ·
hi i was wondering where i could get some info on Missouri edible and useful plants or if you had some tips. ty

#2 ·
Missouri Dept. of Conservation. Apply online for the Missouri Conservationist Magazine. It is free to Missouri residents.
Phone: 573-522-4115, ext 3856 or 3249
E-mail: subscriptions@mdc.mo.gov
online: mdc.mo.gov/node/9087
the October issue has a profile of a new book, "Eat your Weeds", by Lisa Lacombe and Nature Shop section has listed
Cooking Wild in Missouri
Missouri's wild Mushrooms
Give it a try. Good luck and enjoy the outdoors.

#4 ·
I LOVED that article! I'm excited to learn how to forage for wild edibles myself, although I'm a little worried about making a mistake and eating/serving something poisonous to my kiddo or myself. :eek: I've decided to do lots more research before I feel I am "ready" to go wild. Well, other than morels anyway -those I KNOW by heart!

#8 ·
Very good post. I use the MO Dept. of Cons'n for very inexpensive seedlings $8/25 usually. You can get a variety of fruit and berry seedlings including currants, elderberries, mulberries, paw paw, pecans, and many other trees and bushes. The seedlings are over 1 foot tall not including roots. I have had good luck with mine. Place your order now!

#3 ·
I'm trying to learn the same thing. I haven't found a Missouri only source for foraging info yet, but did stumble upon a wonderful blog with lots of info (on everything!). She does a "Weekly Weeder" series that is very useful and I've noticed many of the plants she discusses grow in my yard here in Mid-Mo. Here's a link

http://commonsensehomesteading.blogspot.com/p/natural-health.html#uds-search-results

If you have trouble, use her search bar under the natural health section and search "Weekly Weeder". Hope this helps! :)

#10 ·
Well there's always, cattails, both the roots, the tender shoots and the top part when it's nice and young. Dandelions, leaves when young, root on a mature plant. Acorns if prepared properly, I believe you have to run like boiling water through them to get rid of the tanic acid, then you can use it like flour. Stinging nettle=like spinach. How is that for a bit of a start with specific plants.

#17 ·
Sorry it took so long! But, I talked to Dad and asked him how we used to fix Poke greens.

He said you have to find them young, as they get really strong as they get older. Put them in a pot with plenty of water, and bring to a boil. He also chopped up bacon or any chunks with plenty of fat. Boil (for the life of me I can't remember how long, sorry. Will find out and edit post.) and while that is boiling he would make a pepper sauce (chopped fresh hot peppers and vinegar).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.