Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone carry a .308 or 5.56? Why? Which go to rifle?

Tags
.308 5.56 ar15
18K views 94 replies 44 participants last post by  OLDWarrior64 
#1 ·
I own and have owned many rifles. I am still trying to narrow down a rifle that will give me an advantage. I want to pound it at the range and master it. I want to learn how to detail strip and change parts. I want to know the rifle as well as myself.

I must run a suppressor on it. It must have the ability to shoot long range.

I am looking for a rifle that
1. Shoots the first time every time RELIABILITY (ability to run dirty and dry). I agree the rifle needs to be cleaned but sometimes it cant. Droping your in whatever durring a fire fight is not a good time to find out you need to clean it.

Gives me an advantage over someone with equal training and a lesser rifle

The m4 is light and accuret but I feel that it is not the design for a SHTF situation that I want. I might be out in the field for a long time with limited supplies.

I dont like the FAL b.c IMHO its not as accuret as an M1A and the reliability differences are minor. If im going to hump a .308 it better be a full sized accuret version.

Would the results have been the same with a semi auto test of rifles?

My area of operation is the woods and urban areas.

As I said before I think the M4 is a good weapon for a military unit that is well supplied. I am not a military unit and I wont be well supplied. For reasons listed in this article the m4 is out.
http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

I love the Ak47 and its reliability might cause me to pick it. My issue is that its really hard to put optics on it. The rainbow trajectory leaves something to be desired. Suppressing them is also kind of a joke. This is another rifle that seems good for a large unit. I am more so looking for a weapon with some range that can keep me and 2-3 other guys away from a threat.

Im down to thinking that the M14 will get suppressed and be my go to rifle. My only issue is that it is hard to do building entrys with durring the event of SHTF I might need to find supplies and food as well as assist in rescue efforts. I need something that can be used well in a dirty urban enviornment. Will a guy with an AK or AR have an advantage with sheer ammount of rounds or will I have an advantage with a more powerful and accuret rifle?

My other large weapons system is the Sig 556. It gives me the AK reliability with m4 optics/ suppression/ mid range ability and takes light weight ammo. I love ACOGs and these seem to take the m4 acog just fine. Will a sig 556 or m1a give me an advantage in a fire fight and why?

If it helps I carry a Glock 21 and 1911 in .45 acp. I cant carry as much ammo as a guy with a 9mm but who cares. Thats why I am thinking I should also carry a 308 with less rounds.
What do you use?

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess im a troll then... I have a valid question that has very subjective and confusing statistics... I have done my research hence the fact that I narrowed my choices to an M1A and Sig 556...
Neither of these are the weapon of choice for the Kodiak lookin' bear in Florida. You need a Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher. Yes sir. And with this seasons crop of Griz and Polar bear due for migration through your apartment complex, I'd look at picking up about a dozen or so. Good investment, good for getting the message "no' across to persistent religious groups and driveway repair salesmen.

It might be hard hiding them at that boarding school the folks stuck you in, but where theres a will theres a way....

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
NO, no, no, no, no, no, noooooo.......... What you need is a canned .22 and an assault wheelbarrow!!! :thumb:

To the rest of the members here............ How in the hell did gunkid find his way here?!?!? I thought he was still in prison..... :xeye: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously folks, the best way to get rid of this troll is to ignore it. This will be my absolute last post in any one of it's threads because it's going into my ignore list.

III ~ Peaceful, but prepared.

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -

I sure miss ole Melvin Davis and his entertaing mindset/posts,......he is the KING of trolls!

#3 ·
I own and have owned many rifles. I am still trying to narrow down a rifle that will give me an advantage. I want to pound it at the range and master it. I want to learn how to detail strip and change parts. I want to know the rifle as well as myself.

I must run a suppressor on it. It must have the ability to shoot long range.

I am looking for a rifle that
1. Shoots the first time every time RELIABILITY (ability to run dirty and dry). I agree the rifle needs to be cleaned but sometimes it cant. Droping your in whatever durring a fire fight is not a good time to find out you need to clean it.

Gives me an advantage over someone with equal training and a lesser rifle

The m4 is light and accuret but I feel that it is not the design for a SHTF situation that I want. I might be out in the field for a long time with limited supplies.

I dont like the FAL b.c IMHO its not as accuret as an M1A and the reliability differences are minor. If im going to hump a .308 it better be a full sized accuret version.

YouTube - Compare M14 With M16

Would the results have been the same with a semi auto test of rifles?

My area of operation is the woods and urban areas.

As I said before I think the M4 is a good weapon for a military unit that is well supplied. I am not a military unit and I wont be well supplied. For reasons listed in this article the m4 is out.
http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

I love the Ak47 and its reliability might cause me to pick it. My issue is that its really hard to put optics on it. The rainbow trajectory leaves something to be desired. Suppressing them is also kind of a joke. This is another rifle that seems good for a large unit. I am more so looking for a weapon with some range that can keep me and 2-3 other guys away from a threat.

Im down to thinking that the M14 will get suppressed and be my go to rifle. My only issue is that it is hard to do building entrys with durring the event of SHTF I might need to find supplies and food as well as assist in rescue efforts. I need something that can be used well in a dirty urban enviornment. Will a guy with an AK or AR have an advantage with sheer ammount of rounds or will I have an advantage with a more powerful and accuret rifle?

My other large weapons system is the Sig 556. It gives me the AK reliability with m4 optics/ suppression/ mid range ability and takes light weight ammo. I love ACOGs and these seem to take the m4 acog just fine. Will a sig 556 or m1a give me an advantage in a fire fight and why?

If it helps I carry a Glock 21 and 1911 in .45 acp. I cant carry as much ammo as a guy with a 9mm but who cares. Thats why I am thinking I should also carry a 308 with less rounds.
What do you use?
AR15 and/or M4 for me. I go with what I know as anyone else should do likewise.:thumb:

#5 ·
It's always funny to see these "what should I get" posts. It's very simple. There isn't a perfect weapon period. It all depends on where you live and where you will be defending when our system comes crashing down.

The bottom line is you can take a POS gun, master it and it's quirks, and out shoot the best marksman with it. It's about just picking one and then becoming a marksman.

Every gun can kill in the hands of a marksman. So the name of the game isn't what toy to buy, it's to become a surgeon with it. Then you would have solved the problem.

We had a couple M21 (accurized M14) rifles in the military and out of 22 guys we had a few that couldn't hit water from a boat and some who could break a 9" balloon filled with chalk from 1000 yards. The same gun. You can rest assured that the ones that broke the balloon would advocate for the gun and the others wouldn't.

It's that simple.

#32 ·
Easily one of the greatest web videos of our time. That chubby ninja look lulls them to sleep until he goes crazy on them. The hair too is classic samurai.

Back to the OP's question - phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range should do it for you. Does for me anyway.

Wait did I waste post #500 on that? Crap.

#8 ·
The best gun is what you have with you when the SHTF hits.

I have a Ruger SR-556 and 3 bolt actions in 308, 30-06 & 7mm Mag also several pistols and shotguns. The one I will grab will be what kind of scenario comes down the on us.

Nobody has the experience to predict what lies ahead you will deal with the situation as it happens.

I would love to have some of the fancy hardware the military has, BUT it might not be the right stuff for the situation.

Get a gun or 2 and become proficient with it!!!

#10 ·
Can i shoot 5.56 outta my .308? If my .308 jams can i spread it on toast? toasty days here might bring the bears out. can i kill a polar bear with toast? I have thousands of guns and can't shoot any of them so which ones should i keep? if i keep one and shoot it once a year does that make me a sniper? if i add a suppressor does that make me a SEAL? Will mommy ever let me out of the basement? HEY TEACHERS LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE.. If i shoot a grizzly bear in the privates will it stop or just get really mad? PRIVATE EYES ARE WATCHING YOU.

#18 ·
"I own and have owned many rifles. I am still trying to narrow down a rifle that will give me an advantage. I want to pound it at the range and master it. I want to learn how to detail strip and change parts. I want to know the rifle as well as myself."

Isn't that from Full Metal Jacket or something?

Yeah, we lose BD and gain this? Hardly fair.

#41 ·
I HAVE FOUND IT!!!! THE PERFECT RIFLE!!!!

This rifle is chambered in a specially designed .308 round, BUT it weighs no more than the 5.56x45mm round. It has been extensively field tested in the desert, jungle, artic, urban, swamp, and even in space by specially trained astronats. In field tests, they have filled it with mud, sand, grass, and even water then fired 1000 rds out of it without a hitch. It has an integral quad rail system with optics that don't need batteries. It can mount any item you want on it and barely effect the firing rate. It can shoot over 1000 yds accurately and the sights never need adjusting.

IT'S CALLED A CATAPULT, But AR and AK fans say it sucks.

#43 ·
"Does anyone carry a .308 or 5.56?"

Seriously? Do you know where you are? That's like going to an AA meeting and asking the people if they have a problem.

Maybe you should make sure you have your escalator ninja tactics down before you even begin to worry about firearms. This must be a guy that trains by watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.