Survivalist Forum banner

why buy a 10/22 for shtf

48K views 88 replies 41 participants last post by  manisonenmi 
#1 ·
from what i can tell everyone and theyre mom is gonna be packing a 10/22 and a couple 1000 rounds of ammo, mostly stingers, if tshtf.

whats that mean to me. ill be able to pick up 10/22's and 1000's of rounds of ammo from the corpses of couch commando's in the streets and in the woods.:thumb:

should be plenty of people who died after being shot with a .22, killed theyre assailant, and ran somewhere to hole up and die, to loot as well. im guessing there is a 50/50 chance that they will have a 10/22 as well. and possibly armor vests without the actual armor plates.

#4 ·
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :thumb: Once again ha ha ha ha :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Anyone who thinks one gun does it is fooling themselves ha ha ha ha . I have all of them and am planning on using all of them. That said? I have more .22 lr stocked away and that is probably what Ill have left after all the bad guys are dead. Ill be using my 30-06 and .223 until it runs out. Then its my 1000 rounds of high velocity .22 rounds then its shotguns and cheap .22. If that runs out ? Ill throw stones like everyone else. I mean any one can see that having a weapon is only as good as the ammuniton supply to feed it. Trust me you wont be running around the woods picking up anyones dropped guns. Chances are if they are dead? they ran out of ammo. Kingfish

#8 ·
im talking about the people who plan on only haveing a .22.
and the ones who tell others if they can only have one gun it should be a .22.

i plan on keeping my .22 and the 1000's of rounds i have for it.
but if i get down to just .22 ammo, that means ive shot up 1000's of rounds of .223, .308, .270, .45acp, 20 and 12 and .410.
god willing id run outta .22 ammo first, it would mean im shooting rabbits and squirels for dinner and not 2 legged coyotes.

oh and, i dont think ive ever been threatened to be cannabalized before:eek:. i think this thread is going in the right direction:D:.

#12 ·
I am only a couch potato in the winter:) come spring we are planting.. No matter what caliber you are shooting, I am ducking.. I will than of course return fire most probably much heavier than recieved..

If some one is just starting with a small budget.. A 10-22 and 2 bricks is a nice place to start..

always fun with a 22 thread..

#14 ·
it better be good bbq sauce;).

It is one of the most vicious and deadliest rounds ever seen.
the above is excactly what im talking about.

impossible scenario, but here goes. for some reason im not going to fathom
you have to be shot in the chest. but you get to chose what your shot with.
would you pick A. a .22lr, B. a 9mm, C. a 7.62/39.

#15 ·
Even I who defend it so often have to agree. Nope not the most deadly. The correct term to describe a .22 lr. is the most versatile. .22 have been used to kill more different animals then any other cartridge in (modern rifles). Shotguns run a very close second.

For small game the .22 has no equal in that you dont fill the little animal with bird shot and the shells are far more economical . I get as much of a charge reading the other side of the argument where guys state they can make head shots on squirrels with their 308 M1-A. That one just cracks me up. Yup Ill just waste a good 75 cent man stopper on 1 pound squirrel. :rolleyes:

Im fortunate to live in a state where there is ample cover all around me. I can use any of my guns to hunt with even the 9mm hand gun will take down a deer from tree stand at 10 feet. I have them many times walk right under my tree. Shotguns are a favorite here and many counties will not allow rifles as in southern Michigan where its shotgun only for deer hunting. But that ok because you rarely get a shot here over 75 yards and most times they are much closer. My brother in law uses a 300 win mag. He is nuts as he has never had to shoot one more than 75 yards away with it. A 30-30 or 30-06 would do just as good.

But why buy a Ruger 10/22?

The answer is so simple it screams. It is the most versatile rifle on the planet.

#1They can be used for small game rating 10 for all aspects
#2 WITH THE PROPER AMMUNITION can be used for taking medium game like deer rating 7
#3 with the proper ammunition can be used as a light assault weapon for defense. rating 5 to 6 in my opinion.
#4 allows the carrying of more ammo then any other round. rating 10
#5 accurate enough rating 8 to 9 depending on the barrel and year

in short the reason to have one is they can send a lot of pretty nasty projectiles down range in a hurry, have tons of aftermarket parts for them including huge magazines and bipods,suppressors etc. They are the poor mans assault weapon. And before someone attacks that last statement I would never grab one as my first choice to do battle with. Only as a last resort in a special situation. That situation has been planned for. My Ruger will sit in may cache next to an ammo can with 1000 CCI rounds. If the day ever comes when I have to leave my farm and try to hack it out in bush with no hope of resupply that is the day I will take that rifle and no other. If that day comes it wont really matter what I have Ill probably die. With no water,food, hope of resupply your weapon will be your least most important item in your backpack. Kingfish

#81 ·
Actually that's not true, if you go to the FBI website and look at the death tolls from each calibers, .22 have killed more people then a 9mm or a 45acp. I'm a Conceal Carry instructor and if someone want to carry a .22 I tell them to go for it. It's cheap enough to practice shot placement so you should be able to his vital area with decent accuracy.

#16 ·
If the streets and woods are going to be filled with desperate armed people, it's not just the .22 owners who will be found dead. It doesn't matter what you are carrying if someone picks you off to raid your corpse.

Yeah, yeah, I know. The bad guys bullets always miss, but our bullets always hit. Nice fantasy, but the real world doesn't work that way.

#19 ·
Hmmmm.....I'd go one step further, and opt for a .22 magnum bolt action (I have a Marlin 882S, sitting alongside my 10/22 in the safe). Ammo can be had with velocities of upwards to 2200 fps, as well as lower velocity rounds for small game, up to and including deer-sized critters.

Granted, ammo is much higher than .22 long rifle, but at that, much cheaper and quieter than .223 and up (I have a T/C Encore pistol with 15 inch barrel in .22-250, and you talk about loud? Whoa!)

Just a thought. Even though I have a .22, I wouldn't feel complete without that .22 magnum.

PJJ

#30 ·
I was told by a distributor that they were discontinued because the barrel, being the same produced horrendous accuracy--made the early Mini 14 seem like BR rifles and it was cheaper to discontinue then retool for a different length and twist barrel and they left the WRM field to Volquartsen plus they were having feeding problems similar to the HM2 versions.

Volquartsen makes theirs in .22 LR, .22 WRM, 17 HMR and .17 HM2….You’re better off getting the Volquartsen first off then having to get a 10/22 and then adding all those extra parts to make it almost as accurate as the Volquartsen is right out of the box.

#21 ·
Yes that .22 magnum just might be the all around weapon. You say it comes in the 10/22 format with semi auto and extended magazines? If so I might have to have one. :) I have never seen one in semi auto version. What is the speed of the best round or fastest round per say? Kingfish

#26 ·
you dont see alote of auto's in .22mag as they have feeding issues.
grendel has an action that will feed them well, and keltec makes them now.

schue. when im not working, with my family, hunting, fishing, at the range, or reloading i spend time on forums just like this online. you may call me what you will, if you dont get what im trying to say, the point i was trying to make,
i dont really care. if you actualy understand my point and you disagree, your probobly one of the people i was talking about in the first place, ie, an idiot.

#28 ·
Yeah, why prep at all? spend your money on iphones and booze. You'll be able to get whatever you need looting bodies and homes. I wish I would have thought of this myself instead of wasting my time being frugal, developing my personal skills and self sufficiency. I'll meet you down at the welfare office later and you can fill me in on the finer points of being a leach and how we will be able to defeat the skilled and prepared and rule the trailer park after SHTF.(speaking of couch commandos....I know one who is posting in this thread)

#31 ·
from what i can tell everyone and theyre mom is gonna be packing a 10/22 and a couple 1000 rounds of ammo, mostly stingers, if tshtf.

whats that mean to me. ill be able to pick up 10/22's and 1000's of rounds of ammo from the corpses of couch commando's in the streets and in the woods.:thumb:

should be plenty of people who died after being shot with a .22, killed theyre assailant, and ran somewhere to hole up and die, to loot as well. im guessing there is a 50/50 chance that they will have a 10/22 as well. and possibly armor vests without the actual armor plates.

that theory only works IF the SHTF as in no law and order...ie... mad max scenario. but what if the SHTF and law enforcment is still here and you need a .22 just feed yourself during hard times ... ie... economic collapse

there are several types of the SHTF and within those types there are several levels. there is never just one answer to fit all types and levels of the SHTF

#33 ·
To expand on my earlier point, if you can only afford 1 firearm, get a reliable, accurate 22. This is the round you will use most often. For every round you shoot at a 2 legged predator, you will probably have shot over 1000 at small game. You can buy a 10-22 and over 8,000 round of .22 lr for the price of a MBR.
Buy the 10-22 first, and then buy a MBR.

The other thing to consider is that if you do have to bug out on foot, you have a very defined weight limit. Humping a 100 lb pack is for 20 year old Marines. I would love to carry my 870 12 gauge, my .22, and my MBR, along with Ammunition for all. I am a 30 year old Marine though. I can carry all of that, but I not when carrying food/water/sleeping bag ect.
What are you going to carry? There is a trade off.

Remember, a sustained march is 20 miles per day. If you think that is unreasonable, remember that Stonewall Jackson marched his army 30 miles per day as the crow flies in the West Virginia mountains, with snow on the ground, and half of his troops barefoot.

#35 ·
sorry bud, i own my house, and have no idea where the welfare office is.
dont own an i phone, and rarely drink, though i do enjoy a double glenlivet neat or spaten optimator once and awhile.

dont get me wrong, everyone should own a .22 rifle, and if they enjoy shooting pistols a .22 pistol. it is however silly to think they will be the perfect do all end all tool, that many think they are. and far to many people encourage this attitude. why did i pick the 10/22 specificaly, thats the #1 .22 rifle of choice when it comes to the .22 as mbr conversation.
running joke on another forum, the "supremely viable 10/22."

i really truely believe that there are a ton of idiots living in apartment buildings, with no prep, iffy shooting ability, and a 10/22 and 1000 stingers thinking they will be ok in the event of tshtf. if you plan on bugging out with naught but a 10/22 and a randon assortment of camping gear you almost never use to a location you may have driven by once, your screwed.

if all you can do is sling baseless insults at me, you may be one of the above.

#37 ·
i really truely believe that there are a ton of idiots living in apartment buildings, with no prep, iffy shooting ability, and a 10/22 and 1000 stingers thinking they will be ok in the event of tshtf. if you plan on bugging out with naught but a 10/22 and a randon assortment of camping gear you almost never use to a location you may have driven by once, your screwed.
So, what I get from this is IF you own a 10/22 you are probably an idiot and don't know how to use it?

Thats where you loooooose me bro.

I say all them dumbass apartment dwellers are stocking away Marlin model 60's since they have sold over double than the 10/22.

#36 ·
i didn't buy my 10/22 for SHTF, i was given it as a present in my preteen years, and have slayed many an evil treat rat with it. I have a wide range of rifles now, ranging from 30-06, 8mm mauser, 9mm largo, 30/30, 5.56 and .22lr, and if i could only take one rifle, and i had to leave my house, with all my other rifles and ammo, i'd take the 10/22, and 4 or 5 bricks of ammo in a satchel... if im leaving, with one rifle, that means i'm leaving a tearing hurry, and don't have a working vehicle anymore. so i want more rounds and fast firing rate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.