Survivalist Forum banner

Best off-road vehicle?

87K views 122 replies 79 participants last post by  RossO 
#1 ·
So, out of all of these vehicles, which do you think is the best at off-roading (in stock configuration)?

Jeep CJ-5

Jeep CJ-7

Jeep Cherokee

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Land Rover LR3

Land Rover Range Rover

Land Rover Discovery

Land Rover Defender

Land Rover 90

Jeep Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Mercedes Unimog

Suzuki Samurai

Toyota Land Cruiser

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Military Humvee (not the civilian Hummer, but the actual military Humvee)

Hummer H1 (NOT the H2 or H3)

Aton-Impulse VIKING-2992 (see video here: (READ DESCRIPTION!!!)) (Watch the whole video please!)

Ripsaw tracked vehicle (see video here: , and at ) (Again, please watch the whole video!)

My vote goes for the Ripsaw. What's everyone else's opinion?

See less See more
#2 ·
Tracked vehicles are always going to be the best offroad performers. The problem is that they're off road only. That's a big limiting factor. Of the wheeled vehicles, my vote would go to the military Humvee. The copycat civilian versions are really just dressed up live axle SUVs and lack a lot of the offroad features of the real thing. I like the amphibious vehicles, but not the ones that use oversized tires to float. I guess I've seen too many monster trucks upside down in the lake to trust that.

#59 ·
H1

I did some work in the Military Humvee Plant in Mishawaka IN. I saw the H1's come off the same line as the military versions. We were trying to improve the paint booths for the civilian H1's. They were painted in the same booths and the military paint jobs were not as critical.

They had an owners training facility to train civilians how to drive the H1's. Most new H1 owners went through this Training and drove on the AM General proving ground when they came to the factory to pick up their H1's.

In later years most of the military units were Up-armoured after they came off the assembly line, some were modified in the parking lot while they were waiting to be shipped out.

IF you have the money for an H1 .. they are probably the best ORV that you can use on road and off road.

They built a new plant next door to build the H2's, I think the H3 plant is down south somewhere.

#5 · (Edited)
You left the best Jeep off the list. We have had a Jeep Cherokee, Liberty and Commander.

We took our stock Jeep Commander 2006 off road for elk hunting. We had snow coming over the hood of our Jeep and just kept going. We have had several people tell us we need to video our off road trips, then send it to the Jeep company. We put the commercials to shame. We have over 100k miles on ours and it runs as well as when we first bought it.

#9 ·
Other.

Bowler Wild Cat

Its extremely expensive and it isn't sold in the USA... bit its the best off-roader period.

Out of your list though I would have to say any of the Jeeps. :)

Reactions: rugster
#24 ·
So, out of all of these vehicles, which do you think is the best at off-roading (in stock configuration)?

Jeep CJ-5

Jeep CJ-7

Jeep Cherokee

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Land Rover LR3

Land Rover Range Rover

Land Rover Discovery

Land Rover Defender

Land Rover 90

Jeep Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Mercedes Unimog

Suzuki Samurai

Toyota Land Cruiser

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Military Humvee (not the civilian Hummer, but the actual military Humvee)

Hummer H1 (NOT the H2 or H3)

Aton-Impulse VIKING-2992 (see video here: YouTube - Extreme AMPHIBIOUS Russian offroad vehicle: Aton-Impulse VIKING-2992 (READ DESCRIPTION!!!)) (Watch the whole video please!)

Ripsaw tracked vehicle (see video here: YouTube - Rip Saw - Tracked ATV , and at YouTube - Ripsaw MS1) (Again, please watch the whole video!)

My vote goes for the Ripsaw. What's everyone else's opinion?
I prefer Grand Cherokees. I've had four of them, and have never been let down. That's just me, though. Honestly....your question is like asking someone which is the best gun out there.........:xeye:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.