Survivalist Forum banner

S&W Sigma 40

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  NightStalker 
#1 ·
What's the feedback on one of these? The price is right.. and feels like an all around decent gun.

#2 ·
Well if the price fits with your budget, and it feels comfortable to you. Go for it unless it is more expensive than a glock. A friend of mine had one, the trigger is horribal and it is a Glock Knock off, but I put over 100 rnds through it with no malfunctions. He never mentioned any problems to me either. As far as I know he still has it. If you do get one, update us on what you think after you shoot it.

#3 ·
>>>SHUDDER<<< The Sigma pistols by S&W have had a lot of trouble over the years. The .40 caliber Sigmas are better than the 9 mm version but even those guns have had some bad days. A couple of guys I know used to have 9 mm Sigmas and shipped them back 3 times to S & W to have them fixed. S & W finally gave up and sent them brand new Model 59 series pistols to replace their Sigmas. S & W is an honorable company but the Sigma pistols, at least for awhile, were having troubles. I would check the serial number of the pistol via S & W to see if there has been a recall for that model of gun before I bought it. If S & W says its okay, then I would buy it.

#4 ·
The SW40VE is a decent pistol. The early models had their problems but they've been pretty well cleaned up by the "E" version.
They are Double Action Only and have a stiff trigger pull but, that can be mastered.
I've used both FMJ and HP in mine and have not had a FTF or FTE, full cooperation with whatever I use. I also reload for it and it will eat anything I feed it.
I believe you would be happy with one of these, maybe not with the trigger pull but, that can be adjusted as well by a competent gunsmith.

#8 ·
I bought a Remington 710 and heard all the horror stories but mine has been 100% good. Funny how that works sometimes. I was shopping for a Sigma and found one for a good price. My wife uses an M&P .40 at work so she already felt comfortable using it and wanted her own. It was her choice I just got to pay for it.

#9 ·
Bought a 9mm Sigma after Christmas and thought for the money I would keep it in the truck. I sold it the day after I shot it. Cons: an extremely long and heavy trigger pull, plastic sights and a plastic guide rod. Pros: it was $300 for a hi-cap 9mm with two mags plus a $50 rebate or two more hi-cap mags, it went off every time I pulled the trigger and it shot reasonably close to point of aim. I just don't like striker fired guns.

#11 ·
I used to have an early Sigma in .40. It worked pretty well, but had a tendency to have light primer strikes occasionally. After selling it to a friend of mine, I replaced the striker spring. Immediately you could tell a big difference in the striker hits (but adversely a heavier trigger also). My guess is that the person before me had put a lighter spring in to improve trigger pull, or S&W realized this and made the new springs heavier.

As a Glock armorer I can say that the Sigma is very close in design to the Glock. In fact Glock sued S&W when the Sigma first came out. They do have a better grip angle than the Glock. The trigger is heavier than the Glock, but not unmanageable.

All in all, I would say that while they aren't a match grade pistol, they are a pretty good deal considering the price.

#12 ·
I own a Sigma 9mm. The trigger is horrible. I haven't had any trouble with it other than the fact that you pretty much have to yank the trigger which throws me off target. I think you should try to find something else. For a bit more you can get a decent Glock. Or maybe check out the Springfield XD--there are some on gunbroker.com right now for under $500.

#13 ·
I have a Sigma SW9GVE and it is fine. The trigger is what I expected a DA to be. Took me about 10 rounds to get used to it (they were all going slightly right). Once I got used to the trigger, no issues.

I chose it for my EDC over my Ruger due to its lighter weight and streamlined shape. S&W experience in handgun design really shows in its ergonomics in the grip and balance as well as the metal-lined magazine chamber. The mags drop right out when you press the release. Most importantly, it has gone "boom" every time.

#14 ·
Well, your looking at the right company. Smith and Wesson makes some really nice guns. If I were you, I would look around and see if you could find a used M&P or a Glock for the same price. The Sigma is basically a Glock, but made to lower standards. When the Sigma was first introduced, Glock filed a lawsuit with S&W because the gun resembed a Glock in many ways.

For the price they arn't bad guns, will function if maintained properly, but it wouldn't hurt to do some research and see if you can find a used M&P or Glock. Thats just my 2 cents. Let us now what you come up with bud.

bdan

#15 ·
Another thing, if you get the chance, go to a local range and see if you can shoot some of the guns they have there. Look at the Sigma side by side with a Glock and you will be able to see how much they resemble one another. If you shoot the Sigma and like it, by all means, go for it. It's all about personal preference, whatever works for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.