Survivalist Forum banner

SAVAGE 110 270 OR REMINGTON 700 270, Which to buy?

56K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  Big Andy1966 
#1 · (Edited)
I am thinking about getting a used Savage 110 in 270 cal, is this a good rifle, a friend suggested a Rem 700..any input is greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards the Savage due to the lower cost/good reviews on other forums..It will be for the range at first and hopefully hunting in the future..thx

#2 ·
Rem 700 in 308. more ammo available, more kick butt power. ( of course mine is in 06 but 308 will do).

Reactions: RedElk
#4 ·
The .270 will be a quicker and flatter shot than the .308 or 30/06 ... and with less recoil.

I'd go with the Remington over the Savage.

The Rem BDL will have more engraving and a nicer stock ...

... but the ADL is the same rifle (and you won't be so mad at yourself for dinging it up.)

#3 ·
I use to have a Savage 110 G in 7MM with a Bushnell scope, it was good until 3-4 shots then the Barrel would heat up and the bullets would float every which way. I now have a Remington 700 BDL with a Leupold 3X9 scope in 270, it is far more accurate for me and has not floated the bullets after 8 shots I would recommend the Remington 700 BDL in 270 over a Savage 110, from my own experiences.

#6 ·
Go with the Savage and never look back. Chances are great it will be more accurate than a new Remington. Unfortunately Remmys aren't what they used to be and I wouldn't have a newer one.

Savages customer service is excellent and the Savage platform is very user friendly and much more versatile than a Remmy.

#8 · (Edited)
I always vote for Savage over almost anything.Newer Remingtons 700's are fine because they are finaly paying attention to accuracy and price,you don't have to pay almost twice the price and then add on several hundred dollars to a gunsmith to come up with Savage out of the box accuracy anymore.Remington was always a better looking and smoother operating rifle but now they can shoot with the cheap stuff :) about time:).Rugers 77's can also be very good and a nice looking,smooth actioned rifle.Most are accurate but not all.Don't over look the newer Mossberg and Marlin,good prices and should run with the Savage and newer Remingtons as far as accuracy.
Look at ammo availability in your area before you decide on caliber.270 is a great round but so is a 308 or 30-06 and several others.Check prices on whats in stock for ammo and what you have to pay if your local shops have to order for you.You may find that a 30 caliber is a better option and if you can shoot you may not need the flat shooting 270.I own a 270 because I just had to have one and it's a great round but I always seem to grab the 06 for hunting.

#10 ·
If you guys don't already, you need to reload. A 30-06, 270, and 25-06 are all the exact same casing, the difference being the neck size. I can and have taken 30-06 casings and run them through a 270 or 25-06 die to make brass for that caliber.

I don't shop for ammo, I shop for components and roll my own.

#12 ·
I have an old mid-late '70s M700 in .270 that I really love. However, having handled and shot the new ones, I'd go with the Savage.
The .270 is a good pick as a cartridge, BTW. I love it, too. The only thing that is possibly better is it's parent, the .30-06, as an all-around do-it-all cartridge.

#13 ·
308 win, 270 win, 30-06, even 25-06 are all fine calibers. I have Remingtons, Rugers, Savage, and several sporterized large ring mauser and all shoot well if built with a good barrel and if bedded correctly.

If your rifle strings it's impact after the barrel heats up it is typically the bedding not the action.

The new acutrigger savage has is a good unit. Many of the older savage triggers are pretty rough as are most other brands. Replacing the trigger on a new bolt gun is unfortunately part of the game these days.

I miss the old Winchesters, Remingtons, and Rugers that came with fully adjustable triggers 20 - 30 years ago.

#15 ·
savage 270!!! remove any wood from the stock that is touching the barrel, and most shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 yds... 95 grain to 150 grain bullet loads are versatile enough for any thing i will ever get to shoot. out of aprox 20 dear taken with this rifle only 2 did not drop on the spot one was all hyped up from being chased by yotes the other was at 420yds both of them only went three jumps befor falling.

#16 ·
You should maybe consider a new Stevens 200, basically the same rifle as the Savage but cheap, 360.00 including taxes. They make them in .270, .308 and many other calibers. It does lack a removable magazine or a hinged floor plate, which is the only thing I don't like, but it's got a free-floating barrel.

#18 ·
I have two M700's one from the late '60's and one from the early 70's and both are real shooters. The .222 Mag shoots MOA or better with reloads. The .270 does the same with 130 gr Winchesters and 150 gr Remingtons as well as with reloads. Based on the safety issues the M700's have had in the last few years I would not buy a new or recently made one. Remington has known about the safety problem for a long time, but did nothing.

#19 ·
Welcome to the forum. You did notice this thread died eight years ago......right...???:D:

#20 ·
remington quality control has slipped greatly over the last few years, i wouldnt waste a dime on another remington product again.. whenever its remington vs... pick the other option and i like savage more than any other bolt action, you can even do your own caliber conversions on a savage as well

#21 ·
While both will perform quite well, there is a major difference in design as to the two models.
Savage is a component design. Easy to change barrels, trigger is somewhat quirky, stock is basic and inexpensive (wood version). Bolt assembly is modular and can be changed out to different calibers. Basically the entire rifle can be switched to different calibers with a few minor tools and needed parts. This is the home gunsmithing dream.
Remington is the basic for the industry. Quality is more detailed, but changing barrels requires a gunsmith or at least a good vise/wrench set up. I agree that Remington quality has slipped over the years. Now they are rougher in some respects, but I still think they are a more detailed design than Savage, although Savage is a fine rifle as well.

If I was to make the choice, I would purchase a good used Remington, in .30-06 or .308. But, that is my preference for standardization. There are really nice Remington 700 BDL's available in the used market for under $500, and sometimes hundreds of dollars less.

.270 is an excellent round, and has great ballistics to do most anything you want, however since this is a survival forum and you are basically starting fresh, I would recommend .30-06 or .308 for compatibility and standardization. If you already had a .270 and were set up for it with ammo and reloading equipment I would say just stay with it, but if you are starting out...get the .30-06 or .308. They do have a little more recoil, but not to notice really. Ballistics are very similar out to reasonable ranges, despite what everyone says. The .30-06 will give you an additional 150-200 yards trajectory over the .308, in optimal conditions. Sometimes less. Both the .30-06 and the .308 give the advantage of loadings for larger weight bullets, with the associated advantages for distance shooting. While .270 is an excellent round, it has not been adopted by any military systems that I know of.

While Savages work fine, and are accurate...you don't see them in the military or tactical fields...at least not the ones I am around. The civilian market has grabbed them, and they do shoot well, but Remington has driven the military end for a while. I could be old school, but that is my take.

There seem to be more Remington aftermarket options, although Savage is coming up in that area all the time.

Hope this helps.
re

#24 ·
Old Rem > new Savage > new Rem.

I have a Savage in 308 that I really like, I'm partial to the adjustable trigger.
An older 700 ADL/BDL (before Rem was sold) is usually a solid rifle, but they can be as much as the new ones.

#29 ·
We all have our favorite rifles, but if you want a 270, dont let any one talk you into something else.

Its good for everything in North America. Today we have a lot better selection of 277 bullets then in the past making it an excellent long range shooter.

As to rifles, find one that fits you. Go to the gun store, check as many as possible. Throw them up to your shoulder. You'll find one that calling your name.

I'm a big Model 70 fan. My M-70 Featherweight in 270 is my main hunting rifle.

If price is a factor, Check out the Ruger American. <$400, you wont find better accuracy at that price anywhere.

But price aside, find one that fits, that calls your name when you throw it to your shoulder. You'll know when you find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.