Survivalist Forum banner

Could you elude Mantracker?

26K views 110 replies 81 participants last post by  missouri dave 
#1 ·
Yes or no, and how would you do it?

I would keep going when the sun went down and finish before he even woke up.

#9 ·
Not saying the border patrol doesn't have excellent trackers, I have never met any border guys, but I wouldn't be so sure that no one could track you.

There are quite a few other professions that involve tracking, in all kinds of environments, that are scary good.

#8 ·
Lose the damn cameraman. Cannot possibly be anything but a burden.

Depends 100% on the terrain. I believe they try to set things up so the prey and the predator both have an even chance, giving weaker prey more favorable terrain. There may be rules on night travel since you could travel slowly and rest in impassible terrain by day and then bust all the way to the finish by trail before the sun even rose.

#11 ·
keep in mind, it's a tv show. ever notice how the chase ALWAYS goes two days regardless of how blatantly incompetent the contestants are? one way or another, they need to fill an hour time slot. i'm sure mantracker could have easily caught a good number of those prey teams only a few hours into the hunt, just as i'm sure a few of the teams would have liked to keep moving well into the night, but i bet the producers told them both the same thing-"absolutley not"

#12 ·
One episode the prey went into the mantrackers camp late at night and decorated his horse.

IMHO, this means the game has to be played during the day becasue Mantracker wasn't even watching his own camp. So, I steal his saddle at night as well as his horse and hide them. Then when morning comes he has to spend at minimum an hour on finding his horse and then another on the saddle.

Doesn't matter how good at coveraing a trail I am at that point. LOL.

#14 ·
Have not seen and thus know nothing bout the show but

with todays techo stuff, it is impossible to hide from a determined hunter.

Using the mind and the eyes only, that would be another thing.

There are two things that aid in tracking

Knowing your prey and their most likely actions

and

Power of observation

Tracking is to a certain extent the ability of the sub concious to get in touch with the concious. The sub concious is all seeing and all remembering where as the concious is logical and limited in scope.

Not getting physic on you here, just stating facts of how the two minds work.

Later
wayne

#15 ·
No, I couldn't evade him. I'd have to disable him in some fashion. That fashion would depend on whether your talking about the setting of the show or if he was tracking me for something more sinister in my view.

Reactions: TDFbound
#16 ·
The way folks usually beat him is to just run along a road until Mantracker runs up behind them, then they jump into the bush where he can't follow with his horse. They continue to make their way through the bush until they get to another trail and then run along it until he catches up, at which point they jump into the bush and do it all over again.

After watching 5-6 episodes and seeing the exact same thing over and over, the show really loses its appeal. The person literally has to fall down in front of Mantracker in order to be "caught", and it gets really lame, really quick, watching folks "escape" over and over simply by running into some tees.

Obviously you can't do anything to Mantracker or to the cameraman or there wouldn't be a show. They never move at night because it is too hard to film. IMO, that cameraman is the #1 obstacle in evading Mantracker.

#17 ·
The easiest way to beat Mantracker is to jog the entire stretch. Years ago (before I got married and fat lol) I was able to jog a straight 14 miles. I believe the total distance they travel on the show is 22mile (I haven't watched it in awhile). It could easily be jogged with some resting time.

I can recall an episode where a team jogged quite a bit and won. Mantracker himself said he couldn't ever hope to win against a team that ran the entire time.

enscheff said:
After watching 5-6 episodes and seeing the exact same thing over and over, the show really loses its appeal. The person literally has to fall down in front of Mantracker in order to be "caught", and it gets really lame, really quick, watching folks "escape" over and over simply by running into some tees.
Mantracker needs a taser gun! :)

#22 ·
You cannot track what you cannot find. Man Tracker depends on the prey to keep moving inexorably toward some pre-established target. In real life, you just go deep into the bush and sit tight. No fires, just be still for a couple days. Move away small distances at night. Stay in thick bush where his poney cannot tread, and in a few days you are beyond reach to track.

#23 ·
Honestly.. Probably not! Perhaps if there was more time! Manhunter isnt dumb. And he has a freaking horse! :D:

Even the 2 soliders barely made it! And one of them was a freaking commando! You might be better doing it solo rather than team. Less cooks, less spill. In other words, less tracks!

Thats just my theory!

#25 ·
The time limit and loud talking is what gets most folks on that show.

I'd think if a guy took his time, laid up when necessary, and kept their mouth shut it would be be possible to evade capture.

When the tracker has lost the quarry, almost every time he hears them talking and locates them again.

With no time limit, I think most would make their target with not much trouble.

#27 ·
Could I elude Mantracker? Sure, let him try to follow me in Atlanta rush hour traffic. :)

I think he's an arrogant SOB and very full of himself from what I've seen of him on TV. He also has an advantage by tracking in territory he is familiar with.

Let him try being successful where he is not familiar with the terrain. To me that will prove his true skill at tracking.

#29 ·
I could do it. The challenge is - its a TV show. Some of my counterparts were on a "tracking show". the behind the scenes story was very interesting, there's advertising to sell.

BTW - I've worked with some of the "scary good" folks and they are that, but everyone and every asset has good and bad days.

As to how that depends on the particular situation, terrain and other variables. I agree it is very much a subconscious endeavor. The better one's tracking skills, the better they can be at evading.

Mountain One

#30 ·
Even with a prosthetic leg, I know I could beat him to the finish. I would have to have a little fun with him though. Having this prosthetic leg, I am able to turn the foot on it completely around facing the opposite direction. I would just have to turn it around and walk down the road a ways. Really screw him up with one foot going one way, and the other headed back the towards where he just came from. Have a good camo, and a small shoulder pack pr web belt with a few pouches, butt pack, and canteens on it with the bare minimums that I would need to carry.

#31 ·
Probably not... But I'd love to try.

I'd first try to learn as much as I could about the terrain I'd be "running" in and pack the necessary equipment to help aid my in my escape. If I could, I would absolutely travel by night, though not being familiar with the land and working my way through tough bush in the dark could be a disaterous mistake. Especially if the guy is in a location to see a flashlight or torch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.