Survivalist Forum banner

Accidental shooting at a gun show in Tupelo, MS.

5K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  BobMacnamara 
#1 ·
A gun show was in our area over the weekend. I always attend this one seeing if any fair trades can be made. My oldest son and I arrived about 11 today and there was a big hubbub amongst the folks there about a shooting earlier that morning.

As best I understand it from the security at gun check, one of the vendors was given a gun to sell for a friend. The gun was a 22-250 and had been presented all strapped up. The vendor assumed it was empty though it had a round chambered. A 10-12 year old child managed to pull the trigger on the arm, discharging it.

The round penetrated a wall that was between the show and the gun check area. The bullet shot through the shoulder of a 4 year old and then grazed the leg of an adult.

Both child and adult are okay and from what I understand the whole thing has been considered an accident and no charges have been pursued at this point.

Normally I would say that the national media would jump on this, but given that it's a tight election I don't see them giving the story much play for now.

http://djournal.com/view/full_story...un-show-in-Tupelo?instance=home_news_1st_left

That is the local snippet.

I think blame could be assessed a number of ways. I imagine the lawyers are lining up for a chance at getting suit.

IMO, if the venders had to go through similar procedures to what I have to go through every time I bring a gun to a gun show, this would not have happened.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the subject?

See less See more
#4 ·
About 2 months ago here in NC a dealer came in late to a show with his conceal carry pistol still in his holster, it was concealed and loaded. He walked right past the loaded weapons checkpoint at the front of the building and when he got to his table he decided to unload it. He put one finger on the trigger (his left hand) and went to rack the gun or check it with the right hand, he fired the weapon blowing off most his right index finger between the thumb and finger. Blood was everywhere. No one else was injured.

http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12788

http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/08/20/4199880/dealer-shoots-himself-at-nc-gun.html

#5 ·
Treat all guns as if they are loaded. All the time, Every time.

About 2 months ago here in NC a dealer came in late with his concel carry pistol still in his holster, it was conceled and loaded. He walked right past the loaded weapons checkpoint at the front of the building and when he got to his table he decided to unload it. He put one finger on the trigger (his left hand) and went to rack the gun or check it with the right hand, he fired the weapon blowing off almost his right index finger between the thumb and finger. Blood was everywhere. No one else was injured.

http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12788

http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/08/20/4199880/dealer-shoots-himself-at-nc-gun.html
Thanks, I don't usually make to the shows that far North, I hadn't heard about it.

#6 ·
Regard of how crazy it might seem, if there is ANY possible way for a body to get killed or hurt, somebody will figure out how to do it, and do it.

Actually, I'm more on the "Well, I'm surprized we don't hear of more accidental discharges where there are so many guns, and so many people fooling with them" side of the issue.

That being said, I do enjoy a good shoulder to shoulder, hip to hip, I got it first! See, my hand is on it, "Excuse me sir, I need to get by" gun show.

Don't generally like the prices, but the ambience is cool.

#7 ·
Another thing that hit was I as I'm sure other on here have told ppl at shows "hey I wouldn't aim that low" I consider it a threat and a insult to level even a unloaded weapon and human high....just plane ass bad manners..... he would prob. get a a55whipping ...my dad or grandad either woulda whipped me on the spot.I was just raised not to do it.and if nothing else COMMON sense should have stopped the boy.I have $20 says pops let him play video games about shooting rather than take him shooting.....

#8 ·
Every show I've been a dealer at requires guns to be safety tied with zip ties. Specifically for this reason. And it seems that every time there is a discharge at a show, it's a damned dealer that did it. Of all the people, the dealers should know better. I was selling at a show in Austin Texas when a dealer set a round off. That promoter takes discharges seriously and always follows up with charges, suits, etc. Good for him!

#10 ·
A gun show was in our area over the weekend. I always attend this one seeing if any fair trades can be made. My oldest son and I arrived about 11 today and there was a big hubbub amongst the folks there about a shooting earlier that morning.

As best I understand it from the security at gun check, one of the vendors was given a gun to sell for a friend. The gun was a 22-250 and had been presented all strapped up. The vendor assumed it was empty though it had a round chambered. A 10-12 year old child managed to pull the trigger on the arm, discharging it.

The round penetrated a wall that was between the show and the gun check area. The bullet shot through the shoulder of a 4 year old and then grazed the leg of an adult.

Both child and adult are okay and from what I understand the whole thing has been considered an accident and no charges have been pursued at this point.

Normally I would say that the national media would jump on this, but given that it's a tight election I don't see them giving the story much play for now.

http://djournal.com/view/full_story...un-show-in-Tupelo?instance=home_news_1st_left

That is the local snippet.

I think blame could be assessed a number of ways. I imagine the lawyers are lining up for a chance at getting suit.

IMO, if the venders had to go through similar procedures to what I have to go through every time I bring a gun to a gun show, this would not have happened.

The 10-12 year-old's father should be charged for failing to train his boy and for allowing him to handle a gun without checking the chamber first. It's this type of idiocy that gives "ammunition" to the anti-gunners.

#11 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I think the kid should have been trained to treat all guns as loaded, but this is really a secondary issue.

If the vendor who had the gun on his table or the fellow that wanted the vendor to sell the gun for him had operated on that principle, both of them adults mind you, then none of this would have occurred.

Following ActionJackson's misappropriated sentiments, I would say that it was more likely the father of the adult vender or the father of the adult fellow that gave his rifle to the vender to sell that should be charged.

Seriously, I see no sense in blaming the kid that pulled the trigger. It wasn't his fault.

The fault lies with fellow that strapped up his gun with live round in it and handed it to his buddy who was a gun vender to sell it for him. After that, everything operated on the good faith and ignorance of the vender and the good faith and ignorance of a kid.

The expectation that all guns at a gun show are not loaded is a reasonable expectation. It's a requirement actually.

Regards,

Mudcat

#14 ·

> Snip <
When I lived in Texas I was a frequent visitor to a traveling gun show.

While walking into the San Antonio venue, a dealer negligently discharged a .380, sending the bullet into the thigh of the guy 10 feet in front of me.

It would have been me if we hadn't stopped briefly to laugh at the Beanie Baby displays that were common at the shows back then.

Later in the same show there was a big commotion: another dealer had allegedly caught redhanded scum-sucking anti gun liberals attempting to sneak live rounds into unloaded guns, apparently in hopes someone would get shot.

Both college aged man and woman were beaten bloody and held down in a most uncomfortable position until LE hauled them away. From the pockets of them both various pistol and rifle rounds were found, including shotgun shells and .380.

An interesting side note: when the round went off, some reflexivly ducked down while many simply stood where they were.

Tomkat

#15 ·
someone fired off a shotgun ( on purpose) in the SuperDome years back. No more shows there.

Just recently, I heard from a neighbor (Mr. P)up near my BOL who is a vendor. The last show he went to a small boy (age 4-7) was really manhandling the firearms while his Gramps ignored it.
Mr P tried to be nice about it , but the old man was having none of it and got all huffy. They moved down one table and the boy once again grabbed all at the pistols and fired one off.

My understanding is no charges were filed, but that vendor is banned from this "touring" group for some time.

Now, not that I blame a child, but should that kid be ALLOWED to handle,play,point or other way even hold a firearm? I see parents smack kids hands for touching something on the bike aisle at Wally's. I blame ole Grand-dad...

#16 ·
I see it as simultaneous blame.
Vendor should havew followed all vendor firearms policies.
Customer should have followed all firearms rules of safety.

Adherence by either party removes liability to BOTH parties.

#18 ·
Who the hell ran this thing? If you bring weapons to any show in my area of Texas, there are police officers to verify they are clear and then zip tie the bolts opens or the hammers closed. If you get caught without these ties, bad news for you...

Whoever managed this show is the freaking idiot for allowing another idiot the opportunity to be stupid...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.