Survivalist Forum banner

LDS - Bishops Storehouse

11K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Cpunutz 
#1 ·
First, I'd like to thank those who introduce this orginization to me.

Second, well, I made the trip there yesterday to check it out. Some of the most HELPFUL people I've ever met. Took them about 30 seconds to introduce their selves to me and then start training me on how to can my own food.

I todl them I need to can the food I've already purchased but per LDS policy, I can't bring outside food into their canning area which I totally understand, however, to my surgrin, they lent me a canner. They've never met me before, don't know who I am, but more than willing to help a person out.

Their product is cheaper than anything you can buy out there (even at Sam's) other than their Mylar bags which they even stated that.

They also never asked if I was associated with the church or even if I was a Christian which if asked, I would have told them the truth that I am not but I respect their beliefs and their helping hand something emmensily.

#2 ·
We have non Christians in our group and they are just like you. Mature and respectful to other peoples beliefs.

At the beginning the LDS people did say a prayer. Everyone either prays or respectfully waits for them to finish. Other then that, not one word on their beliefs.

To be honest, I wouldn't of minded if they did. Maybe in their own way they did? Through actions and life style. Better to show someone you are good by living it. Then maybe through curiosity, we ask them what makes them different.

Oh, Remember to not only buy #10 canned foods, but also the large 40lb bags. That way you have something to rotate, and work out your recipes before the SHTF. No one can compete with the LDS on food prices. They aren't making a profit so consider leaving a donation. Our group did, including the athiests and non believers. After all, we plan on coming back.

#8 ·
We had to also make arrangments as to when we could attend. It's best to be in a group to do so... if you are interested I know of an AMAZING Florida Survivalist group. I think in the Tampa Area. The leader of it is a good friend of mine, I could put in a good word for you.

If the SHTF we plan on staying in contact Via Ham Radio. Networking FTW.

#10 ·
I'm confused as to what to expect from one of these sites. At the LDS website, they have links that include the Bishops' Storehouses, and Home Storage Centers. In my area, its the same location. Does one serve as a cannery and one serve as a store? So, is this right - you can food that you buy from them, as well as buy in bulk cheaper than at Sam's / Costco?

One more question, is it seasonal dependent on when you can go can? One of their sites appeared to advertise pick your own, and it isn't exactly harvest time in the great white north. Oh, and one more... is it better to have a group just from an efficiency standpoint?

#11 ·
Excellent questions.

First, this isn't a store. If you are allowed inside, you should count yourself lucky or blessed.

They aren't selling anything. This is a kitchen.

When you show up (ON TIME) you will be instructed on what you will be doing. They will go over safety, provide you gloves, and the rules. Once you are properly equipped you will be stationed at one of the many processing stations.

Here you will either load the food into #10 Cans, apply oxygen absorbers, Label them, or keep inventory.

The Bishop and I got along really well, so he worked the crap out of me. I had to go to the store house, grab hug boxes of foods and bring them to the kitchen. After all orders are completed they would total up the costs and each person pays. The Church doesn't make one penny. In fact if you count their equipment, supplies and upkeep, they are loosing money.

You don't have to Mylar or #10 can everything. Some do because it's so cheap, why wouldn't you? You can buy bulk 40 lb bags of food which require no processing.

Call up the LDS and ask them if they will allow you an appointment. Me and the Bishop got along so well, he offered me a Bible. I didn't refuse it.

The NC LDS are some of the nicest people I have ever met. However, if you aren't going to be respectful, or work, I suggest you buy your preps online.

Oh and if your hygiene isn't good, don't show up, because unlike those nice priests, I will embarrass you. ;)

I am not the cleanest person, but when it comes to LDS day, I shave both my head and face, scrub my arms, and take this very seriously.

#12 ·
So - a group goes and checks out all the bulk foods they have on hand, and each decides how much they want of whatever. Then you all work together to put all those orders together, and then pay them only cost (plus a donation if so inclined). How big of a group would you recommend, and are we talkin about all day or a few hours? (I suppose that depends on the size of the group and the amount of food). Respect or disrespect wouldn't be an issue that even crossed my mind. I would expect to treat them like I do anybody I meet in an everyday situation, which is to say, friendly.

Reactions: Crutch
#13 ·
The amount of time you spend does depend on the orders.

For instance, I buy bulk 40lb bags of foods that require no canning to long term storage.

I might buy a few #10 Cans, but most of the things I buy now is just me cycling my food supply.

I open a 40lb bag, divide it up in old #10 cans, use those cheap plastic lids to keep them sealed and in a year or so I will have eaten through it all.

Sadly the Kitchens don't have much diversity when it comes to the foods. You wont see powdered cheese, or dehydrated meats, so I suggest you go through the online promoters of this site.

The prices are fair and actually what the Mormons should be charging. Adding bacon to beans makes a huge difference. Be sure and Diversify.

#19 ·
I don't know about a Bishop's Storehouse, but I know there are not any of their Provident Living centers in the Panhandle. The closest would probably be the one in Jacksonville. I also want to echo what Crutch said. I have LDS friends and I know that the Bishop's Storehouse is not considered open to the public. It's a community outreach program for the poor and an emergency/welfare system typically reserved for LDS church members. Provident Living centers are a little different. Those are typically available even to non-members of the church, but the Bishop's Storehouse is usually only open to the public in a time of emergency, like a natural disaster.

#21 ·
Someone should make bumperstickers to promote the LDS.

Maybe:

"My church thinks I'm a Mormon."

"They all have 2 years worth of food, guns, and love Jesus? Where do I sign up?"

"Preparing before it became popular, pertinent, or expensive."

"First Dibs to those who are members... but don't worry, maybe some other church has $14,000.00 in canning equipment? Oh, no.. I guess they don't. Good luck with that."

"honk if it takes over 2 years for you to go hungry"

"Got Elvis?" (rumored to be Mormon and backed by some proof)

"Respected by even Anti Religion Larry King, and proof that prayer works"

"LDS, the only church even Atheists promote!"

#25 ·
A few more things about the storehouse/cannery:

Part of this facility is the storehouse food bank. It looks like a grocery store. When a Mormon says they are going to the "Bishop's Storehouse" this is usually what they are referring to. Obviously, when survivalist mention this they are not referring to the food bank as much as the warehouse and the cannery which are co-located with this facility.

The food banks purpose is to give out charity to Mormons who have fallen on hard times. Unlike other food banks, it is predominately meant for Mormons only. It is based on work fare. A Mormon must prove they are in good standing before a Mormon Bishop. He will give them permission to go to the storehouse and get food. Often, the recipient will work in the storehouse or cannery for a specified amount of time before they are given the groceries needed/specified by their Bishop. Occasionally, non-Mormon's are given food out of the storehouse/warehouse (usually during a local disaster). Most of the items in the food bank are produced by the LDS church. These items vary in quality from excellent (potato pearls) to not so great (I will refrain from naming names).

2. Adjacent to the retail location is the actual warehouse/storehouse. This keeps foodstuffs and supplies for the cannery and the storehouse retail center.

3. Then there is the actual cannery. Actually, there maybe two canneries: a hot pack and a dry pack. Usually, only the dry-pack cannery is available to non-Mormons. The wet pack cannery (if there is one) is used to pressure can liquid based foods. The dry pack cannery is used to dry package goods (usually in number 10 cans or 5 gallon buckets).

As mentioned, when you show up-- you will be put to work. The type of tasks asked of you will depend on what needs to be done. Different canneries are responsible for canning different things.

You may or may not be proselyted too. This depends on the official LDS policy that week, and the zeal with which the local's wish to pursue the official policy with. Since they are currently suffering from a PR mess lately, they are pretty mum on the preaching. Regardless, they are usually some of the nicest people you can meet.

#28 ·
You can order Quick Oats, Rice, Hard Red Wheat, Flour, Pinto Beans, and a couple of other items directly off the LDS Website. It is about half the price of a couple online retailers I have ordered from plus shipping is free. Also if you guys are not near a location open to the public find someone who is a member and befriend them. Take them camping and get to know them. Then when the time comes they will ask you if you need anything when they are placing their orders. This has worked well for me, but repay the favors. One of my best friends is a member of LDS and he has helped me alot, but i always go above and beyond to assist him. Here is the link:

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21003_-1_N_image_0

#30 ·
Here is the address & phone number of the only one I can find:
(336) 668-2284
129 Landmark Drive
Greensboro, North Carolina 27409

For clarification the Bishops Storehouse is the Food Pantry for members in need. The cannery is the bulk food purchase program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.