Survivalist Forum banner

78 F150 4x4 conversion?

19K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  offroadracer99 
#1 ·
so ive got a 78 f150 with the 400/c6 drivetrain ive long thought about converting it to 4x4. it was my grandpas truck so im not going to just abandon the truck to get an original 4x4....are all the mounting points the same for the I beams etc? ideally id find a complete 4x4 thats too far gone body wise etc

mine has surface rust but is solid and always starts up on the first try

See less See more
#3 ·
Let's work this out for him so he and we and see what it all entails...

He'll need a transfercase, driveshaft and the whole front end axle with internals to start...

I'm sure I've left some stuff out....

not to be a buzzkiller....this is no easy task you're suggesting. I'd appreciate the truck for what it is....I love old trucks.

What about converting the rear to posi-traction?

#5 ·
i know this is not an easy task....i am a competent mechanic...although i lean more towards collision repair i went to school for both and completed both programs :thumb:

mainly wanting to know if the frame is the same between 2x4 and 4x4 trucks mounting points etc. the ranger/bronco ii chassis is as easy as driling out a few rivets on the front suspension adding the tcase and making sure front and rear diff rations match...but i dont have a 4x4 to compare mine to....

#8 ·
Been a mechanic for the last decade heavy D, Army and light car/truck. Its a project for sure but if your got it in your head its a glory 4x4 beast. Then sure be ready to drop a few grand into everything you would need. Just make sure you do it right and do it well.

I would consider just cleaning up the truck and put a Lsd in the back. Get some good tires and you should be fine.

#10 ·
How about putting the cab/bed onto a 4x4 chassis? Relatively simple... unbolt/disconnect, lift, set, bolt/connect. Did a toyota 4-runner body onto a p/u frame (live axle, just like the '78 and older ford 4x's) and it was basically that simple. There were some wiring mods that had to be done, but they were different years.
You would have to cut a hole in the tranny tunnel for the transfer case shifter, or maybe there is already a hole there with a panel... don't know for sure.

#12 ·
1980 and up f150 4x4 change over is all a simple bolt up. 1979 back to 1964 requires frame modification. As your low milage goes you can use your engine and body parts it is easier to buy a rusted out f150-350 4x4 truck and change body as someone else had stated. Easy 1 weekend project for most of us. But I always paint frame and install new brake and fuel lines while I have the body off. I would clean under cab and paint or bedline coat under it.

#13 ·
Your c6 would likely have to be replaced with a 4x version, as the output shafts are different between the 2x and the 4x. Engine could be utilized, as you state it is a low mileage 400M... not Ford's best engine, but you said it starts every time and runs good. Make sure the donor truck has the right bellhousing... I believe the 289/302/351W does have the same pattern as the 351M/400M. I know it is different than the 390/428/FE pattern, so verify before attempting.
The 78 and earlier Fords used a coil-sprung solid dana 44 front axle, including (I believe) the F250... (it just uses an 8 bolt pattern, not a 5 bolt like the F-150/Bronco). Lots of aftermarket support, and lots of donor vehicles to scavenge parts from.

Good luck,
G'dood

#14 ·
400/351M have the same bell pattern as the 429 and 460. 6cyl.,260,289,302,351W,351C share the smallblock pattern. 1979 and earlier f100 and f150 were D44 with coils. 1979 and earlier f250 and 350 had D44 or D60 with leaf springs. 1974-79 f150 extended cabs had 5 lug with leaf springs.
As I stated earlier the frames and steering boxes are different on 79 and back trucks. I can usually find rolling 4wd chasis with everything you need for less than $800. Try Craigs list there are many good trucks out there with cancer bodies the old frames rarely had any rust issues. Frame to cab and bed mounts are identicle on 67-79 Ford pickups. I have and deal with 4x4s 87 and back GM, Jeep, Dodge, and Ford. If you can not find it we can.

#16 ·
I say go with the body/frame swap. I have done it a few time. Helped my dad with a 79' F-150 2x4 to 4x4.

And did a body swap onto my F-250 after I lost an argument with a tree :taped:

This is what it looked like... right before I hydro locked the motor. Still need to fix it, but this is what it looked like when I was done. :thumb:

472ci, C6, NP205, all on 36's. Still sitting outside waiting for a fresh motor. It will get one sometime after I get a job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.