Which describes you best?

• Prepper

Votes: 373 54.9%
  • Survivalist

Votes: 308 45.3%

Prepper or Survivalist

102K views 157 replies 120 participants last post by  bounder 
#1 ·
Most of us are probably a combination of the two but for the sake of this poll please choose which one describes you best.

For me it's definitely Prepper. I first got involved by being prepared for hurricanes and it grew from there.

#98 ·
Subsitence, a s noted above is living on what you produce, but with emphisis (sp?) on doing so useing local materials, so dont forget to aquire the knowlage it takes to make a year round circle in the area you live with the materials at hand and have the tools to do so..... prepping is what the Hunter and the Farmer do, when storeing aginst a comming season of lean and any extra as an emergency 'stash' since the dawn of mankind

Those of us who live this lifestyle of Hunting , Fishing, Gathering are useing the things that grow wild around us to make a living. I hunt, trap ,fish with my wife and we make arts and crafts to make $$ to buy what Fish alone cannot, gasoline, internet, electric bill. :D In a time of such that we were to shift entirly for ourselfs, we'd have to wear the clothing we make museum displays with rather than sell them. No Ammo for fire arms and makeing a fire would be the be the new skills to aquire , after the store emptys of bullets and bic's, toilet paper and such, and net use/traps would be increased quite a bit, as would gathering moss to stay 'civilized' for sure.

#108 ·
I don't think you can really separate the fundamental idea of self reliance from survival.

And while this is a great topic (many thanks to the original poster) there are those who would love to use the discussion to cast all of us as nutjobs. My vote is to unify rather than divide....I have plenty to learn from everyone here.

#109 ·
That's a fact Shebow ! Everyone has their own possibilities to face based on location/enviornment and the like. No matter what you call it it's survivalism. I agree with the poster above. Prepper sounds feminine or "soft" but it is what it is. Preparing for survival. Hurricane, earthquake,volcano, Train derailment/chemical spill.................... Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Talking survivalism/prepping and religeon I have been truly blessed to have met many people that know absolutly everything there is to know about everything. Respect others opinions and don't waste time trying to force your own.
Unify:thumb:

#116 ·
I think that's a very good approach, but prepping allows for more transition time - time to hone those skills that need a little polishing. Additionally it's possible that tilling a garden or hunting game just isn't an option for a period of time after a STHF event. That along with a lack of manufacturing ability for some items (antibiotics for instance) make prepping and survival skills go hand-in-hand.

This post has been deleted
#126 ·
I was under the impression prepper was a form of survivalist. You can hoard all the water and tp you have room for but you're still a survivalist. Only difference I see is one who calls themselves survivalist as opposed to prepped is the skill set. But when it boils down to it whether you CALL yourself prepped, survivalist, minimalist etc... Its all the same thing with a number of variations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.