Which describes you best?

• Prepper

Votes: 373 54.9%
  • Survivalist

Votes: 308 45.3%

Prepper or Survivalist

102K views 157 replies 120 participants last post by  bounder 
#1 ·
Most of us are probably a combination of the two but for the sake of this poll please choose which one describes you best.

For me it's definitely Prepper. I first got involved by being prepared for hurricanes and it grew from there.

#64 ·
I prep because I am awake to what is going on in this world that is full of chaos. I prep for the worst and hope for the best. I prep because most people do not and this world is getting ready to get turned up-side down on an epic scale. I prep because the elite that run this country have no problem killing 3000+ of it own citizens as "collateral damage" to further there agenda of global domination. I prep because only I will take care of myself and my family. I TRUST ONLY 4 people on this planet,,, that is why I prep...

#65 ·
I just found this site. I started prepping with food and toiletries a while back. ( my husband, everything else) But some one mentioned their librarys, i look at mine and theres barely any fiction, besides the requirement of Bradbury, everything else is how to- everything, and medical everything, just to name a few.
If a prepper stckpiles tp, and a survivalist stockpiles phone books instead, im a prepper, but im stckpiling phone books from now on. I coulda used that tp money on canning jars!

#67 ·
I think we are a bit of both... Though Survival is a mindset. Even the most thorough of preppers will die off if they can't focus on the will to survive. Most ppl around here, (N.E. Ohio), look down on a person who has a gun, (as if the gun has a mind of its own, and the only intent of having a weapon is to kill. <So Stupid> It's a tool, one that might help you to survive. As for Surviving, vs. Prepping... If a person is determined enough, that person can overcome any obstacle. It boils down to a choice, do you want to live bad enough?

just my thoughts....

#72 ·
I didn't even knew what a prepper was until I joined this forum, I don't stockpile anything or have bug out stuff. I don't think that SHTF or the world ending will occur(at least not in my lifetime), Im just a guy who likes being independent and enjoys nature.

All I know is that it's not just semantics, preppers and survivalists are two completely different things. To me a prepper is someone who has been scared by the media into thinking the sky is falling, while a survivalist is a person who is genuinely interested in survival as an art.

I'm sorry if I'm being rude to anybody, I just don't like the mindset preppers have.

#75 ·
ViolenceOnion, I have been involved with the movement since early 1970s… before the term survivalist was coined. Procuring skills, tools and supplies was always at the core of independence and self-reliance in the face of disaster. Originally that was Nuclear war (the old fashions “empty the silos” 20,000 exchange) pretty much an EOTWAWKI event; now we recognize scores of potential disasters (some too overwhelming or of too unlikely of an occurrence to prepare for.

The label Survivalist was created by and twisted by the media and left wing to a gun nut, antigovernment, Rambo. Bad dangerous people! Preppers will be tarred differently in the near future. At some point soon, the price and availability of food will finally shock and scare the public. Who is to blame! Why theses evil peppers! Everyone knows they are hording all the food, well beyond their fair share. Bad, evil peoples! In fact, it is just the opposite of hording that preppers are practicing but you won’t hear that.

#79 ·
That's not what survivalism is to me.

To me, gathering supplies and not being able to get by without them is the very definition of dependence. Rather than adapting to their environment a prepper fights against it. Their goal seems to be that survival should be no different than everyday life, with all the comforts of home in your little slice of civilization.

Anyway I don't give a damn about the media says about survivalists. As far as I am concerned being called a prepper is equal to an insult. I don't want to be dependent on anything more than food, water, and air. Besides, what's wrong with being called Rambo? It beats being called Henny penny.

Now, I don't think it's unreasonable to prepare for a natural disaster, but I don't want to be lumped together with a bunch of people preparing for TEOTWAWKI or whatever you call it. And even if by some stretch of the imagination a cataclysm does occur, I will be ready anyway, becuase as a survivalist I train to ready for anything even with nothing.

#76 ·
I am a hardcore survivalist and I train, practice, and teach survival skills. I have been putting up supplies for years and I have been helping people learn how to survive in the woods. I am trying to find a group that is trying to prepare for what will happen in the future. I am working on making a place for my family and friends to come to in case trouble shows up.

#80 ·
as much as I'd love to vote survivalist... I'm a prepper.

Can hunt / fish /make shelter.... I know local plants I can forage off of, but.... I'm pretty supply based. Sure I can do all of the above, but honestly drop me in the middle of winter into the Rockies with a knife and a parka... I'm a dead man.

At home base I'll thrive, starting off with nothing but a knife and a 22LR in spring? by winter i'd be MAYBE ok to half survive it.

but really... survivalist? I wish I had the time and self discipline to be one of the few.

#82 ·
today i prep so tomorrow i may have a better chance to survive. if like most, i don't survive the event, then hopefully my preps will go to someone else. may they help the human race survive until the sun shines again. hug the ones you love, very soon all this will be gone.

#90 · (Edited)
We are preppers (we are prepared for many of the possible disasters natural or manmade) but we also have some survival skills. I think we look at life in a more realistic way than the mainstream. We could just as easily be described as realist as we live in a real world aware[/I] of our surroundings, and will do what we must to take care of our chosen circle of friends/relatives, as opposed to all of the sheeple out there that have no clue.

#92 ·
If I am required to be labeled then a survivalist, People started calling themselves Preppers when it was politically incorrect to be a survivalist. I don't tend to care what other people or the government thinks. As far as confusing a survivalist with a person with a "Rambo" mentality. It seems many don't know what survivalist means. "to survive." or a survivor. I know that is not the dictionary's definition. But I think you all know what I am talking about. That is unless all the preppers are preparing for whom ever comes along and takes the things they have spent half of their lives hoarding.

Why would a farmer look down on people that choose a different way of life other than farming? Chances are your father farmed and that farm has been in your family for a long time. Very few just bought a farm and started one on their own. In times when the Government pays farmers not to farm. Which I will never understand.

I second realist/informed or even/Passed History class as replacement for the prepper title. It doesn't tell the whole story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.