Survivalist Forum banner

Long Range Handheld?

32K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  CheckTheWeather 
#1 ·
I'm looking into getting some type of long range handheld cb radio. I want max range with max portability. Would like something that runs on AA or AAA batts. Looking to add this to my BOB with a cpl med range two ways. Anyone know good brands or models to look into? Willing to spend as much as $300.00 on quality, long range radio and would like NOAA weather on it also. Let me know what ya think please!

#13 ·
The problem with handhelds is the antenna length and limited transmit power. VHF and UHF are Line of Sight frequencies, and only carry out to the horizon distance you can see.

CB radios are smack dab in the middle of the HF band (3MHz-30Mhz) and can easily talk around the world on skip (bouncing skywave), but are notorious for not being able to speak to someone 8 miles away. It has to do with the way the HF frequency is propagated from the antenna (horizontally or vertically polorized antenna) and the atmospheric conditions at that moment.

A better choice might be a good quality short wave radio receiver, such as a Sangean 909x with a 160' piece of wire clipped/attached to the telescoping antenna. This would give very good RECEIVE coverage over an amazing freq range, including upper/lower sidebands as well as FM and AM voice.

If you want good transmissability out to several hundred miles on groundwave and skywave, then perhaps a shortwave TRANSMITTER for the "Magic Band" of 6 meters (50MHz-56MHz) is what you want.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/vhfuhfbands.html

Hope this helps!

#5 ·
HAM radio is cool, but still you have to understand radio theory. An AM HF radio will broadcast further than a FM VHF/UHF radio. The higher that you go into the megahertz range the shorter broadcast range becomes but likewise the higher you go, the better the clarity becomes. I'd get some sheet aluminum to build the pack, deep cycle batterys, 11meter (CB) or 10 meter (HAM) radio and a long, long, long whip and some way to coil it up while walking through the brush and not have it contact ANY metal (some type of rubber ring or something you'd have to make)... Likewise I'd probly get a small amp for the radio for DC power... 25-100 watts.

I'd use alot of low volt deep cycle batterys. Mainly because you can use six 2 volt batterys to get 12 volts to run your radio and amp and still have alot of amp hours. 600 amp hours at 130s watts draw is ideally 40 hours of juice with non stop use... If you got up high with that set up... You can probly get.... 30 miles of range or so when not counting in some atmospheric skip you may come across now and then.

#8 ·
To be prudent ,it would first be wise to find others in the area you plan to go that are using radios.
Get to Know them, and take the time for them to get to know you. Being able to put a face to the voice makes a better relationship.
Hams are more likely to help you out better than any group around .
Simply jumping in cold expecting anything positive, is not going to go very far .
You could be calling till the batteries are dead, if you are not recognized .
Get involved in an amature radio group , find out where they are meeting and see if you can get invited . Usually restrants and coffeee shops and on the rare occasion some one's home.
They are easy to spot when there in a group ,(not telling you what to look for ).
A hand held on the hip doesn't always mean ham.
Many of these are off roaders and hikers like your self, some are simply business men and a few are the unfortunate ones stuck at home for varrious reasons .
Never the less , if your in the bush and need some one just to know some one hears you or the SHTF they are there .
The guy listening may not be the one to do something but might know whom can.
The thing about radio, is it only is working when it is on.
I know this sounds silly , but I have been close to those that have radios and never used them, hence no one knew them, when the situation demanded it.
If your not a friendly person, easy conversationalist ,patient ; stick with your cell phone .You save a lot of money and be much happier, being your self insted of being some one you are not.
The trouble with CB or ay other unlicenced radio, is that where there is no accountability ,the trash comes oozing out of the wood work.
Amature radio requires Good behavior,and big brother has your address, along with every other ham in the world. Just so-as-you know.
KD6JLO.

#9 ·
Thanks arleigh for taking the time to respond and I agree with u on needing to get to know the ppl I may comm. with in the event something does happen. The reason I asked about HAM is I have been very interested for a cpl yrs now just dont know anyone who is involved. I am going to take ur advice and attempt to get in contact with some HAM Operators locally if possible. And the idea of the CB is just emergency situations where cells dont work and I understand the CB wouldnt be much better if any just want to have a few comm. options. Again thank u for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.