Survivalist Forum banner

viggies 2013 garden / urban homestead

38K views 206 replies 39 participants last post by  vigilant20 
#1 ·
....and so it begins! This will be my 4th year of growing my yard into a little urban homestead.

I'm getting started with my planning today by inventorying and organizing my seeds. My base is leftover seeds I ordered from Baker Creek last year. But I also hit clearances and subscribed to the Seeds of the Month Club to get all these. They were meant to be given away to internet friends and people I meet doing volunteer work. But now that I'm out of work, they'll also be planted in my own garden where needed so I won't have to spend any money on growing food this year.

I track everything by entering each variety in a spreadsheet with the planting information listed on the seed packet. Once I have my layout complete I use the planting distances entered to estimate how many I need to start for the square footage I have. The spreadsheet calculates the exact seed starting and planting out dates for me, so I can keep everything organized as spring ramps up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ah....I did not think of the spread sheet thanks!! I was writing it down in a notebook..doesn't look quite as "pretty " that way. I'm planning my very first garden this year.and I'm trying really really hard not to go overboard....somuch I like to eat and I like a variety. Plus I want to try to eat from the garden as much as possible this year.

#3 ·

The spreadsheet really streamlined the process for me. And once I had the beds all measured out it made it real easy to update my layout and move things around year to year. This is an old one of mine that shows my lot with the annual and perennial beds in shades of grey for an idea of how I'm doing that.

Best of luck to you!

#5 ·
#7 ·
Just some winter pics of the yard to share. We got another 7 inches yesterday. This is why I like planning my garden and play with seeds this time of year. They are nice warm thoughts to focus on.

Blossom braving some snow between the toes during the storm. The bunnies come out regularly and I carry them into the sunroom so they can stretch their legs with some hop-about time before their brushing.

We've had an usually cold winter with a couple spells down to -30 already, so I've been keeping their hutches and runs deep with hay to help keep them warm. This is my boy, Mittens.

During the winter, I try to get as much volunteer and educational hours in as I can for my Master Gardener requirements since I know how busy the summer will be. I helped out during the volunteer fair this winter, and was excited to find out the Extension actually sells honey from their hives which are maintained by the Urban Apiculture Institute. So that'll be a nice easy way to get my local honey. :)

#8 ·
Good to see you! Your yard looks entirely too much like mine with all of that snow. I'm sure we'll both look on the bright side though-snow is good for the ecology. It insulates the ground and the roots that are already there.

I wonder if my local extension keeps bees? I'll have to check. As for the spreadsheet, that's a good idea too. I have mine planned out in my head pretty much, but as it gets bigger I might not be able to keep track of everything. Of course then there's the data on each variety to keep track of; what grew well, what didn't, factors affecting so we can figure out why. Who says we won't be busy?

My goal is also to not have to buy anything from the garden centers, with the exception of fresh compost for the raised beds. Other than that, it'll be seedlings from seed all the way. Right down to the blue potatoes I saved as seed from the stuff I purchased at the farmer's market! A little planning can go a long way towards positive results!

#14 ·
I've been a bit bummed for a while....in the last few months my whole life basically fell apart. But I think I'm starting to snap out of it and am starting to be productive again...or at least as much as I can be with no one to spend time with anymore and no money :taped: This week I caught up on housework and sorted through my old craft supplies for something to keep me busy. Got a bit more done on my cross stitch

Finished this thread Queen Anne’s Lace Vintage Style Potholder

And started work on a yarn one that I really like. This may turn into a set.

And I've got a couple more interviews this week, so there's some hope that that much will change soon at least.

#20 ·
Last month, I met another local urban homesteader that I'd gotten to know through facebook. She keeps chickens and is a great seamstress...so I'm headed over again next week for a sewing lesson and egg pickup :) I've been helping her with garden plans and seeds, and it sounds like I'll have her and a few of her friends to teach canning to later this year.

I also finished 2 projects using the same pattern. The first is a pot holders done in 2 layers of cotton yarn...the second is the same african flower done in cotton thread which made perfect sized coasters. I'm thinking of doing another set with more rows that I can stuff and use as pillows for the couch next.

#21 ·
I'm down to cooking from preps now, with just some cheese, sour cream, butter, and greens from the grocery store...and eggs from my new urban homesteader friend. My last layoff was the reason I started stocking my pantry...so I'll eat better this time around at least :D I'll try to occasionally post some of the new recipes I try starting with these two.

Peasant Bread (no knead)

4 cups flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons yeast

Mix flour and salt in your mixing bow. In a measuring cup dissolve sugar in water. Sprinkle with yeast and let sit 10 minutes. Add yeast mixture to mixing bowl and fold with spatula until combined. Dough will remain wet throughout process. Form into ball, cover bowl with towel and let sit 1 hour. "Punch" down with spatula and divide into two. Add each to a greased 1 liter pyrex bowl (or other oven proof container of this size), cover, and let sit for 30 minutes. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and cook 22 more minutes.

Makes 2 smaller loaves.

(I made a half batch using freshly ground whole wheat flour and my regular bread pans, so it just turned out a bit squat)

Chicken Pot Pie

I made this recipe using all pantry ingredients. The potatoes and carrots were home canned in fall. The onions and celery were dehydrated (use 1/2 cup and rehydrate). The chicken in my case was rehydrated TVP.

1 cup potato, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp bullion
1/2 cup powdered milk
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
2 pie crusts

Saute potato, onion, celery, and carrots for about 10 minutes. Add flour and stir well to coat veggies. Combine bullion, powdered milk, and water and pour over veggies. Stir well and cook until thickened. Add pepper and chicken. Pour into 2 quart casserole dish lined with pie crust, and top with second pie crust. Cut slits to allow steam to escape and bake at 400 for 50 minutes.

Makes 8 servings, pictured is a 2 serving size pot pie.

#22 ·
I'm down to cooking from preps now, with just some cheese, sour cream, butter, and greens from the grocery store...and eggs from my new urban homesteader friend. My last layoff was the reason I started stocking my pantry...so I'll eat better this time around at least :D I'll try to occasionally post some of the new recipes I try starting with these two.

<snip>
Seems to me that this is the main reason we prep during the good times, that we may be prepared to weather the bad times. Contrary to what some believe, in my view at least it's not totally about TEOTWAWKI. Personally I've been enjoying running down to my pantry during the bad weather for something yummy to eat. I put out major bucks at the farmer's market this summer but it's saving me money now and I'm eating healthier too! :thumb:

#23 ·
Happy March! If we have another hot spring like they are expecting, I hope to be harvesting my perennials this month. And seed starting begins in 2 weeks...so I'm getting excited.

Mixed up a fresh batch of rabbit food for the angoras today. I use 40# rabbit feed, 10# bird seed, and 3 canisters rolled oats (about 8#). It all fits nicely in a 50# dog food container.

And now that I have a local homesteading buddy, I have newer betterer source for eggs. They are already picking up their laying for spring and I already warned her to prepare for a new regular customer :)

I enjoyed a few with some of my home grown, home canned potatoes this morning. Last years garden is definitely still paying off. I took a pic of another example last night, with this tea made with backyard herbs.

Ooops, nearly forgot to show off my little puffball Mittens. He's going through a shed right now.

#24 ·
i too am still enjoying the harvest from last summer ,,,sure cuts the food cost its almost silly how little i need to buy from the store even this late into the winter/spring

am realy glad to see your still here and posting ,,,was afraid the job loss might lead to cost cutting and no more pics of your cooking/canning to dream of while i eat lol

hope your season is good and your crops and plans excede expatations

#29 ·
Ah I've just been direct sowing those. The seeds I'm talking about will be my warm weather stuff that'll be planted out around Mother's Day :)

Last year I saw perennials sprouting outside already during the first week of March, the second week I started seeds, the third week I was able to direct sow my cool weather crops, and the last week I was harvesting the overwintered herbs and kale, rhubarb, asparagus, and walking onions already.

Since we've got 10 more inches coming tonight... I'd say we're a little behind that schedule, but I hear it's still supposed to be another hot spring.

#32 ·
My new urban homesteader friend introduced me to her butcher this week, who still gives away free bones.

So I was able to make my first batch of bone broth for another cheap addition to the pantry :)

And my dad got me a new toy when we hit the Milwaukee Sports Show today so that I can bring home some fish this summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.