Survivalist Forum banner

BOB AR question

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MikeK 
#1 ·
I always thought that when bugging out that I would carry a concealed 1911 and an AR rifle however the more I think about carrying an AR the more I think it could draw unwanted attention. Would any of you consider breaking down your AR and putting it in your B.O.B. so that you would have it later for hunting? Is a concealed carry pistol enough to defend yourself in an urban environment until you can access your rifle?

#3 ·
If you can afford a $300 bag, go for it. Wish I could. But all it does is cover the gun up. Still pretty obvious there is a rifle in it.

When it comes time to bug out, the AR will be in my arms, shotgun in my scabbard and pistol on my hip. The rifle isnt much good in pieces. If you are seen with a bag on your back, it will attract attention when people are hungry. No matter what. I would rather be seen as a threat to a foe because of the rifle in my arm than an easy target because there is no weapon out.

If the person/people are still after you with your weapon displayed, they have reached desperation and at that point, I would rather have the AR out than a pistol...

#6 ·
I do agree with you, alot of it depends on what kinda area you live in and alot of other factors. He did also say he would have his pistol on him, which is some places or situations could be enough.

Having a bag like that gives you options, just because you have the bag doesn't mean you cant carry your rifle. But it gives you the option to put it away and hide it if needed, also letting you store your rifle in your car for a GHB, if you think you need it in your hands just take it out and put the pack on and do what you need to do.

In a SHTF having options is everything :thumb:

#9 ·
Push a baby stroller. Keep the AR in the stroller under a quilt.

Some over-excited folks in a mob might give you a pass if they think you have a kid. Others won't. Shoot them.

A broken down AR can fit inside of a larger rucksack, a golf caddy, a bedroll, a musical instrument case, a gardening wagon, a baby stroller, or be hand carried in a gym bag, canvas sports equipment bag, or piece of airline luggage. You could jury rig a cover or camouflage and attach it to a wheeled travel luggage carrier with some other bags. If I saw a man carrying a traveler's carry-on clothing bag I'd probably assume he had a business suit or two on a hangers inside (as opposed to a semi-auto rifle).

Obviously, this is a situation where short barreled SBRs shine...if you are willing to go the tax route.

There would definitely be times and places where toting the rifle in the open would draw authorities to disarm you. Judgement call.

Reactions: *Paladin*
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.