Survivalist Forum banner

Best .22 pistol??

218K views 63 replies 60 participants last post by  Jungle Work 
#1 ·
Hello survival guys and gals!

I am looking into buying a .22 caliber pistol (my first one! :thumb:), but sadly I don't really know a good one :(. I was wondering if anyone out there has a good review or two of previous experiences with a great .22 pistol. Price really isn't a huge deal as long as it isn't something crazy (600 and up).

Appreciate the help folks!!!

#3 ·
This /\ ;)

In semi-automatics, I think the Browning Buckmark (in its almost infinite
variety of configurations) and the Ruger Mark III rule the roost.

Both are very reliable and accurate. The Ruger has frustrated a lot
of new owners in the process of re-assembly after cleaning, until you
get the hang of it. But get past that learning curve and its solid as a brick.

Huge after-market support for both the Buckmark and the Ruger Mark III,
if you like to tinker...

Don't like the little Walther -- friend of mine has one, and it's been
pretty flaky. (mis-feeds, mis-fires). It looks cool. I want to like it,
but it just doesn't perform reliably, in my limited experience.

Don't really like the "plasticy" look of the Smith and Wesson semi-auto.
But aside from that, haven't seen much -- positive or negative about it.

Beretta Neos semi-auto. Way too "Buck Rogers" to be taken seriously.
Haven't seen any reports on accuracy / reliability.

Sig Mosquito seems to pop up occasionally, but don't know much about that
one either. Looks pretty cool. Seems reasonably priced. Just haven't crossed
paths with one.

I don't know of any great choices in double-action revolvers. Smith and
Wesson makes nice stuff, but I'm not excited about paying their price tag.
Taurus also makes some double-action revolvers. Hit and miss reports on
quality on those. Maybe you get a gem, maybe your new toy takes a
couple of trips back to the factory for corrections before it works right.

Or -- allegedly -- Ruger is bringing back the Ruger SP101 in .22LR, but that
hasn't hit the shelves yet. August 2011 -- maybe.

If you like single-action "cowboy style" revolvers -- no question -- Ruger
Single Six with the convertable cylinder for .22LR and .22 magnum.
(.22 magnum out of a pistol barrel = not terribly efficient, loud as all get out,
and pukes a fireball out the end that is an absolute blast. :thumb:)

#5 ·
I have had good experience with the Ruger MKII, very accurate and reliable with almost any ammunition. The only problem I had was that its pretty heavy for a 22lr pistol. Right now I am thinking about getting one of the polymer framed Ruger MKIII pistols.

I also have a Walther P22, mine has functioned fine with all hi-velocity 22lr ammunition we tried. It does not seem to like standard velocity rounds, maybe a lighter spring could fix that. Its small, lightweight, and easy to maintain. My Daughter and I have practiced quite a bit with it and its accurate enough for what we plan to use it for. Right now we just shoot golf ball with it. I keep it in my get home bag with 550 round of Hi velocity ammo.

#7 ·
You cant go wrong with an old Hi Standard or Colt Woodsman for semis. And the K-22 for a revolver is pretty fantastic!

For a newer semi the Beretta NEOS is pretty accurate and an all around fun gun to shoot. I have a P-22 and never had any issues. It even fell off of and got ran over by the tractor when i was brushoging and laid out for a whole month one spring. Took it out and shot it when dad found it and it functioned great!

What about a 1911 w/a conversion kit?

-Nate

#8 ·
Used Ruger Mk II. Within that limited price cap there are many big name companies selling low quality firearms. Even Smith & Wesson has let their quality control slip on the iconic Model 41 with several fellow match shooters having to send their new 41's back to S&W not once, not TWICE, but several times. And that is after paying around $1,000 for it. But Taurus, Berretta, Walther, Browning, etc etc have had their problems. But that's just my opinion.

Check out "rimfirecentral.com" and get a more complete story on the one you are looking at buying.

#13 ·
I agree depends on your purpose, I will say one of my favorite pistols I own is my Walther P22. I own many pistols and shoot them all as often as possible. The older P22's did have problems but they have been worked out as far as I know. As of right now I have over 1000 rounds through the P22 and no failure to feed or fire. The only time the slide will not cycle on the gun is if I use lower velocity ammo which is stated in the owners book. It is one of the most comfortable guns and fits my hands perfect and everyone that has shot it loves it.

#14 ·
I recently purchased a Ruger 22/45 Mark III, and having put several hundred rounds through it I am really happy with my purchase. I did a lot of research beforehand and the Ruger Mark series was highly recommended. I went with the 22/45 setup because the controls and the grip are almost identical to the 1911, which makes the 22/45 a fun plinker and a cheap practice substitute for a 1911. It is extremely accurate and easy to shoot.

#15 ·
I am also in the market for a .22 semi auto and have been considering either the Browning Buckmark or the Ruger mk III. These responses have illustrated why I have yet to settle on either, and owing to the fact that I cant afford both, anybody got a quarter? :D:

#16 ·
In the .22 caliber double action revolver, I am partial to the old High Standard Sentinel, 9 shot revolvers. Although they have been out of production for many years, they can still be found on gun broker, for a reasonable price. There is a nice one for sell on gun broker, at the moment for $259. Best of luck to you in your search for a .22.

#17 ·
I have a Stainless Ruger Mark III Target , extremly accurate , but as others have said it is a little on the heavy side.

But I love shooting it , it was my first pistol and I bought to pratice for my CPL , me and the wife both took our test with it.

Now I would like to find a 22 revolver something that will let me shoot 22 shorts , need something for chipmunk control , their having picnics in my garden.

#18 ·
Ruger all the way! Single six with convertible cylinder for a revolver, can shoot anything from shorts-mags as long as you use the appropiate cylinder. for a auto, the mark II or mark III are awesome, or if you shoot a 1911 and prefer that frame style, I think its called the 45/22, which uses a similar grip frame as a 1911.

#23 ·
while i am very happy with the Ruger MK2, the metal frame gets very hot when out in the sun and it can be difficult to take appart for cleaning (although the only one i've had issues with was a very old MK2 that had not been cleaned in decades...if ever). Its also very heavy for a .22pistol. My vote would be mk3 22/45 or if you happen to happen to have a S&W M&P pistol; the M&P .22 is a very reliable pistol with about the same ergos as its full cal parent models...In fact, I'm finding it hard to NOT give up My Glock 19 and get an M&P 9c and an M&P 22.

#25 ·
I like the Ruger 22/45. I also own a Browning Buckmark and it is a fine pistol. The Browning is probably superior our of the box, but the ruger has tons of aftermarket options if you like to tinker. If you go with a Ruger, I would suggest that your first upgrade be a Sam Lam bushing. It was $11 well spent. My biggest gripe with the Browning is the grip. It doesn't feel right to me and I have not found an upgrade that I thought I would like. Bottom line, go handle a few And see what feels good. All that have been listed so far are good pistols.

#26 ·
I have the ruger 22/45 target model Its extremely accurate but yes its heavy with the bull barrel. I've shot the browning buckmarks as well very good gun very accurate I chose the ruger simply cause I like rugers. I'd go with the single six or maybe the newer single 10 if a revolver is what you want.

#29 ·
This man knows of which he speaks.

I own one. It is more accurate than I am, durable and dependable. I love the medium frame feel as I was already used to my K Frame .357's. Very controllable - I can shoot an aluminum can and then shoot it again as it pops up before it hits the ground. It holds ten rounds, and it's larger size gives it a more intimidating look. All that and cheap to shoot as well?

Well worth the price tag to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.